LECTURE THIS FRIDAY

  • The Society for the Study of Egyptian Ant
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2008
      Glimpses into the Social Scenes at Deir el-Medina: An Examination of New Kingdom Figured Ostraca
      The figured ostraca from the New Kingdom workmen’s village of Deir el-Medina are unique little items which can provide a wealth of information about the social activities of the men and women who lived in the village, and built the tombs of the pharaoh during the New Kingdom. This examination first defines categories upon which to base further interpretation, following which a variety of uses for the ostraca and the purposes for their creation will be considered. The topics covered include architectural and design plans, administrative records, ex-votos, caricatures of individuals, scenes of everyday life, erotic scenes, animal satire and animal contest scenes, and many more. Ultimately, the entire collection, when looked at as a whole, paints a picture storybook of the village’s social scene, one that we are privileged to take a peek at through these little pieces of art.

      We will be featured in the National Post's "What are you doing tonight?" section on Friday the 11th.