Re: SSAHA API?

  • jlim1197
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 15, 2003
      The only file I can find on the website is ssaha_v30_linux. Is this
      the file that I can run as a server process? If not, can someone
      provide the link? Thanks.

      --- In ssahausers@yahoogroups.com, Will Spooner <whs@s...> wrote:

      > Hi Jonathan,
      >
      > Unfortunatly there is currently no Perl API to SSAHA. However, if you're
      > building a web interface, you may like to look at the EnsemblServer
      > appliction from the SSAHA distribution. This is a TCP/IP client/server
      > implementation, which means that you can run a persistent SSAHA
      server on
      > a different machine to the web server. This is how we run the Ensembl
      > sshaview web application.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Will
      >
      > ---
      > Dr William Spooner whs@s...
      > Ensembl Web Developer http://www.ensembl.org
      >
      > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, jlim1197 wrote:
      >
      > > Hi there,
      > >
      > > I'd like to integrate a SSAHA search into a web-based gene annotation
      > > system (using Perl) that I'm developing. Just wondering if there's an
      > > API
      > > or Perl port of SSAHA that I can use to tie it in...or is the
      > > command-line tool all that's available?
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >

      > > Jonathan Lim
      > > Bioinformatics Software Developer
      > > Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics
      > > University of British Columbia

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Will Spooner
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 16, 2003
        On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, jlim1197 wrote:

        > The only file I can find on the website is ssaha_v30_linux. Is this
        > the file that I can run as a server process?

        No, this is the standalone ssaha executable.

        > If not, can someone
        > provide the link? Thanks.

        You'll need to download the source code (ssaha_v30.tar.gz). There are
        instructions on building the client/server binary in the 'EnsemblServer'
        directory.

        Regards,

        Will

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 16, 2003
          I'm having problems compiling the code under various machines. Has
          anyone been able to compile successfully under x86 linux and Sun
          Solaris? Will there be client/server binaries released as well?

          I downloaded the source (both 3.0 and 3.1) and tried to build the
          client/server binary on my x86(Pentium 4) machine under Mandrake 9 and
          it failed to compile because my version of gcc/g++ is 3.2.

          I also tried to compile with g++ 2.95.2 on a Sun SPARC (Solaris 8) and
          still got errors:

          for "make ssaha":

          g++ -O3 -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/Global
          -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/SequenceReader
          -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/HashTable
          -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/QueryManager -D_REENTRANT -Wl,-S -o ssaha
          GlobalDefinitions.o HashTable.o HashTablePacked.o HashTableGeneric.o
          HashTableTranslated.o SequenceReader.o SequenceEncoder.o
          SequenceReaderMulti.o SequenceReaderFasta.o SequenceReaderFastq.o
          SequenceReaderFilter.o QueryManager.o MatchStoreUngapped.o
          MatchStoreGapped.o MatchStore.o MatchAligner.o SSAHAMain.o TimeStamp.o
          ld: fatal: dlopen() of support library (GlobalDefinitions.o) failed
          with error: ld.so.1: /usr/ccs/bin/ld: fatal: GlobalDefinitions.o: open
          failed: No such file or directory
          collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
          make: *** [ssaha] Error 1

          and for "make ssaha.a":

          g++ -c -O3 -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/Global
          -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/SequenceReader
          -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/HashTable
          -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/QueryManager -D_REENTRANT
          /disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/HashTable/testHashTable.cpp
          g++ -O3 -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/Global
          -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/SequenceReader
          -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/HashTable
          -I/disk2/home/jlim/SSAHA/QueryManager -D_REENTRANT -o testHashTable
          HashTable.o HashTablePacked.o HashTableTranslated.o HashTableGeneric.o
          SequenceEncoder.o SequenceReader.o GlobalDefinitions.o TimeStamp.o
          testHashTable.o
          ld: fatal: file HashTable.o: wrong ELF machine type: EM_386
          ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to testHashTable
          collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
          make: *** [testHashTable] Error 1

          We also have an AIX IBM pServer box, but it's got g++ 3.2 installed.

          Help greatly appreciated!

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17, 2003
            On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, jlim1197 wrote:

            > I'm having problems compiling the code under various machines. Has
            > anyone been able to compile successfully under x86 linux and Sun
            > Solaris? Will there be client/server binaries released as well?

            Hmm, this is a bit tricky. The client/server builds fine using gcc on
            tru-64, but won't build cleanly under Linux. I've fixed a few bits, but
            have hit my C/C++ knowledge limit (OK, I admit, I'm a Perl programmer). If
            anyone has a patch for this, or has the inclination to take a look,
            please shout!

            > I downloaded the source (both 3.0 and 3.1) and tried to build the
            > client/server binary on my x86(Pentium 4) machine under Mandrake 9 and
            > it failed to compile because my version of gcc/g++ is 3.2.

            Yup - you'll need to install gcc 2.95 in tandem with 3.2. This should
            be fine on Mandrake. I'd also be interested, however, in patching the code
            for gcc 3.2.

            > I also tried to compile with g++ 2.95.2 on a Sun SPARC (Solaris 8) and
            > still got errors:

            I've just got access to a sun box, so I'll see if I can build a binary for
            you (no promises though).

            The upshot; I would be delighted to hear from anyone inclined to
            contribute to the SSAHA code base. Whilst it works great here at Sanger,
            I'm well aware of the problems experienced on other (non
            tru-64) platforms. One possibility is setting up a ssaha
            project on sourceforge. Interested parties; please step forward!

            Regards,

            Will

            ---
            Dr William Spooner whs@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17, 2003
              Interestingly, I came across a perl interface for the
              non-client/server binary. It's part of the Ensembl-Pipeline package
              (http://www.ensembl.org/Docs/Pdoc/ensembl-pipeline/) - the module is
              Bio::EnsEMBL::Pipeline::Runnable::SSAHA. Strangely, there's also
              Bio::EnsEMBL::Pipeline::Runnable::Blat, which I've also been looking
              for. I've successfully done SSAHA and blat searches within my code
              using these modules and the command-line binaries. The SSAHA module
              worked with both v3.0 and 3.1 of SSAHA.