MNA Iranian director Mir-Karimi awarded in Serbia

  • sibercor2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2006
      http://www.mehrnews.ir/en/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsID=403058

      MEHR NEWS (IRAN)

      Iranian director Mir-Karimi awarded in Serbia

      TEHRAN, Nov. 6 (MNA) - Iranian director Reza Mir-Karimi was presented with
      Plaque of Yugoslav Film Archive during a ceremony in Belgrade, Serbia &
      Montenegro, Sunday night.

      The award was given to Mir-Karimi by the archive's director Radoslav
      Zelenovic.

      Iran's Cultural Office has also organized a retrospective of the director's
      movies in Serbia & Montenegro.

      "My movies and I have traveled to many countries and I'm extremely looking
      forward to hearing your opinions at the end of the screenings," Mir-Karimi
      addressed the attendees of the award ceremony.

      Referring to the Yugoslav director Emir Kusturica, one of the most creative
      directors in cinema during the '80s and '90s, Mir-Karimi noted that his
      style has had great influence on filmmaking procedure over the recent 20
      years in Iran.

      He elaborated on his debut "The Child and the Soldier", saying that it was
      made seven or eight years ago and he made use of amateur cast.

      His another credit "Here, a Burning Light" won the best film prize at the
      8th edition of Religion Today, International Festival of Cinema and
      Religion, which took place in Trento, Italy, from October 19 to 22.

      Mir-Karimi's "So Close, So Far" was selected by the Farabi Cinematic
      Foundation to represent Iranian cinema in the category of Best Foreign
      Language Film at the 78th Annual Academy Awards in 2006.

      The Yugoslav Film Archives (official title since 1952) is the national film
      library of Serbia & Montenegro, founded in 1949 as The Central Film Archives
      of the Yugoslav Film Library.