Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Reuters War crimes trial opens for Karadzic ex-minister

Expand Messages
  • sibercor2000
    http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/CrisesArticle.aspx?storyId=L06364051&WTmodLoc=World-R5-Alertnet-3 War crimes trial opens for Karadzic ex-minister Mon 6 Nov
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/CrisesArticle.aspx?storyId=L06364051&WTmodLoc=World-R5-Alertnet-3

      War crimes trial opens for Karadzic ex-minister
      Mon 6 Nov 2006 14:38:03 GMT

      SARAJEVO, Nov 6 (Reuters) - Bosnia's war crimes court launched on Monday the
      trial of the most senior Bosnian Serb wartime government official, indicted
      for crimes committed against non-Serbs during the country's 1992-95 war.

      Momcilo Mandic served as deputy interior minister and justice minister in
      the government of then Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic, the top war
      crimes fugitive wanted by the United Nations war crimes tribunal over
      genocide charges.

      Prosecutor Behaija Krnjic said Mandic led an attack by Bosnian Serb police
      forces and military and paramilitary units on the police training centre in
      Sarajevo in April 1992, where non-Serb trainers were detained and brutally
      tortured.

      During his tenure as Bosnian Serb justice minister, he was also responsible
      for three notorious detention camps, two near the Bosnian capital and one in
      the eastern town of Foca.

      The prosecutor said evidence and testimonies would prove that non-Serb
      civilians held in the three camps were tortured by guards and sent to forced
      labour at front lines where many were killed, injured or went missing.

      "The prosecution has collected 147 items of material evidence that could
      lead to a conclusion the indictee was responsible for these crimes," Krnjic
      told the court.

      He said he planned to invite 51 witnesses.

      Mandic's attorney Milan Vujin objected to the use of wiretapped telephone
      conversations as evidence, and said Mandic had only limited responsibility
      for the camps, which were run by military authorities and inmates were
      mainly prisoners of war.

      The state court sentenced Mandic to nine years in prison last week for abuse
      of office at the now-defunct Privredna Banka. He was found guilty of
      transferring depositors' funds to political party accounts, eventually
      bankrupting the bank.

      Mandic left Bosnia towards the end of the 1992-95 war and moved to Belgrade
      where he became a wealthy businessman. He was arrested last year in
      Montenegro and transferred to Bosnia.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.