Wishing a very Happy Guru Poornima

  • srisriyoganj
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2013
      Dear Ones,

      Wishing a very Happy Guru Poornima to you and your family

      With Love,

      His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar on the significance of Guru-Purnima"

      Among the 12-13 full moons in a year the Vaishakha* full moon is dedicated to Buddha (his birth and enlightenment), Jyeshtha* full moon to mother earth and the Aashadha* full moon is dedicated to the memory of masters. This is Guru Purnima.

      It is the day when the disciple wakes up in his fullness and in the wakefulness he can't be but grateful. This gratitude is not of dwaita (you and me), but of advaita. It is not a river moving from somewhere to somewhere, but is the ocean moving within itself. So, gratefulness on Guru Purnima symbolizes that fullness.

      The purpose of the Guru Purnima celebration is to turn back and review and see in this last one year how much one has progressed in life. For a seeker, Guru Purnima is a day of significance. It is the day to review one's progress on the spiritual path and renew one's determination and focus on the goal. As the full moon rises and sets, tears of gratitude arise and repose into the vastness of one's own self."

      * Names of months in Sanskrit according to the Vedic calendar.

      Guru Poornima is called the day of the Master but it is actually the day of the Devotee. Guru Poornima is New Year for spiritual seeker.

      When Krishna was leaving his body, he spoke to Uddhava. With tears in his eyes, "I can't stand the amount of devotion these Gopies have for me, go and tell them, these devotees of mine that only they can free me of their gratitude and of their love." It is so beautiful, he rejoices, "Go, tell them that is the glory of devotees, I am not in heaven, I am not in temple, but where my devotees sing, I am right there".

      Devotion is something that can move even the rocks. A devotee is not there even for wisdom. He is simply rejoicing in love. He has fallen in deep love with the Master, with the Infinity, with the God. He doesn't care as to whether he gets enlightened or not. He doesn't care as to whether he acquires a lot of knowledge or wisdom or not. But that very moment, and every moment, he is immersed in divine love that is enough for him or her. A devotee is very rare to find.

      Love is something that even the Divine rejoices in it. The infinity longs for you as much as you long for it. It is waiting to receive you. God is as anxious as you are to be near. So when a devotee flowers on this planet, God is very happy. That is why Guru Poornima is the day of the Devotee

    • srisriyoganj