Breaking the movement of the breath by Sri Sri

  • Shreedhar Thuljaram
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2008
      Thought o the day :
      When you stretch, do it a little longer and make a little effort and feel the pain and find comfort in the pain. You will see that the pain disappears and comfort dawns.

      Breaking the movement of the breath

      Our ability to accept and look through the criticism indicate how much we have grown.Otherwise, one criticism and you are off. Then people will know how to put you off the balance. one criticism and you are off your balance. That is no good. So, yoga is that which brings the balance. Asanas have this dual effect on the body and mind and it frees you from the turmoil which troubles you.

      When you stretch, do it a little longer and make a little effort and feel the pain and find comfort in the pain. You will see that the pain disappears and comfort dawns. They are dual things. When there is comfort there is no pain and when there is pain there is no comfort. Through asanas you will find that shift happening.

      Suppose you could not stretch your leg too much beyond one point and if you stretch the leg beyond that point and you feel the pain, then you start enjoing the pain and feel a little comfort. You will see that the next day, the pain will not be there and your comfort has extended. Then again stretch a little more and feel the pain. Feel the pain and stretch a little more.

      You will experience that all the pain has shifted towards comfort.

      Once, when we were students, we went to a trip to Rishikesh. The food there was so bad and especially students who were from South found it difficult to adjust to the food there. All the boys of the camp went and complained to the manager of the camp. So the manager said "it will be difficult for you for the first two days and later it will be fine because you will get used to the food served here. The food is not going to change, but your feeling towards the food will change."

      Similarly, the pain changes into comfort, as you stretch a little more the next day and a little more the next day. "Letting go" is the entire secret. Letting go is the feeling, which lets infinity dawn in your consciousness.

      Patanjali maharishi continues :

      Tasminsati shwasa prashwasayor gati vicchedaha pranayamaha (sutra-49)

      Tasmin = in that state of asana or postur
      sati = being
      shwasa = inspiratory breath
      prashwasa = expiratory breath
      gati = movement
      vicchedaha =breaking
      pranayamaha= regulating the breath

      "In that state of being in asana or posture,breaking the movement of inspiratory or expiratory breath is regulation of breath ."

      There, in that state of asana, obstructing the flow of breath ia Pranayama. You are obstructing the natural flow because your flow is not natural at all. We have made our breath so unnatural. So whatever is natural is now unnatural !

      We have to revert backwards. How do e revert back? Not just by accepting saying, "However the breath is going in and out, I accept it." No! This can be done by breaking the movement of the breath.