401Fwd: Service Project in Africa

  • Shreedhar Thuljaram
    Mar 23, 2014

      YES! 4 Africa
      Deirdre Jackson

      Hi Friends and Family,

      As some of you may know, I’m a teacher for the International Association For Human Values (IAHV). I teach the Youth Empowerment Seminar (YES!) in urban high schools throughout the Los Angeles area. YES! teaches young people how to manage their stress and negative emotions through things such as yoga, meditation, breathing techniques, and interactive processes that teach life skills. I have personally witnessed amazing transformations in students.

      With the success of the program, I’ve been given the opportunity to lead a new service project, YES! 4 Africa, through IAHV with children who have experienced unimaginable pain, the child soldiers of Africa. There are an estimated 300,000 child soldiers in the world and 40% are in Africa! These children are often kidnapped from their homes and forced to kill family members and friends. In addition, the girls are usually given to older soldiers as “wives”. When these children return from the war, they become pariahs in their communities and invisible to the rest of the world. YES! 4 Africa is an opportunity to give these young people a gift of inner peace, a sense of connection and belongingness to a common humanity, tools for emotion regulation, and a sense of well-being and upliftment. Starting in March 2014, YES! 4 Africa will begin in a local school in Northern Uganda. Collaborating with Children of Peace Uganda, YES! 4 Africa will reach approximately 600 students at Lira Integrated Schools in Lira, Uganda.

      Our goal is to raise $50,000 to cover program expenses, supplies and research. Please help us to launch this program with a tax deductible donation. YES! 4 Africa is one of those rare projects that give everyone, regardless of their level of involvement, an opportunity to be a spark that will enable a child’s diminished light to shine a little brighter.

      DeeDee

      Email powered by StayClassy for YES! 4 Africa

      If you would like to unsubscribe from these emails, click here.