Re: WHAT M.SAHIB says on MAID ACCUSED OF MURDERING A CHILD IN SAUDI ARABIA

  • Thaha M. Muzammil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2007

      Dear Br. Meera Sahib

      There is no question that Shari'a law is far superior to any other man-made laws.

      The question is whether it is fully implemented in Saudi Arabia...?

      Shari'a is not for partial implementation - one for white-skinned Americans, one for Saudi ruling clique, one for poor Asians.

      You praise Saudi Labour Law; I am asking you, is it fully implemented…? Have you ever heard any Saudi nationals being punished for ill-treating maids…? Does it mean all the maids are well treated…? Does Shari’a allow higher wage for a white-skinned and lower wage for coloured-skinned for a same piece of job…?

      You speak lot about Iraq and Afghanistan. Don't you know that if not for the assistance provided by the Saudi and Kuwaiti ruling cliques the Neo-cons can never indulge in such carnage...? Don't you know that Saudi and Kuwaiti lands are being used as launching pad to kill millions of innocent Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan...?

      Saudi authorities are hoodwinking the world Muslims, please don’t fall prey.

      Thaha M. Muzammil

      From: Peace and Justice Activist <msahib@sympatico. ca>
      Date: 29-Jul-2007 15:44

      Dear All:

      [Background story: A debate is raging on the internet over the fate of a Sri Lankan maid who is accused of murdering a child and awaits execution in Saudi Arabia. The story has been making global headlines pulling at the h eartstrings of millions.

      The girl comes from a poor family. Her house has a tar sheet for roofing and has no toilet. She went to work overseas so that she could put a new roof and build a toilet. She was 17 years old, so she had to fake her age to get a job in Saudi Arabia, since a minor cannot be employed there.

       She had initially confessed to the crime but later retracted her confession at the trial, saying it was given under pressure of the moment . The case is pending an appeal process. The government of Sri Lanka is working feverishly to get her pardoned and freed.

      The media and some NGOs have jumped into fray, but their ulterior motives seem to be not the fate of the girl, but to use the case to bash Islam.
      The Sri Lankan ambassador to the Kingdom, told Arab News, "In my opinion some of the media outlets in Sri Lanka and abroad have only worsened an already sensitive situation by falsely reporting about the collection of blood money and the like allegedly to be paid to the family of the deceased child, which at no time has ever been the case.  These types of counterproductive falsifications and mischievous reporting is making our role much more difficult."]
      Below is part of the discussion on the e-group.
      Dr.Refai wrote: "Do you really think the Saudi  judges are cannibals waiting to murder innocent house maids? they are also Muslims and must be having the fear of Allah about killing an innocent. Only Rizana and Allah know what happened. .."
      My commentary:

      I lived in Saudi Arabia for over 10 years. I had several hundred workers engaged in projects which were under my control. In this capacity, I had to be familiar with the Shari'a law applicable to workers ( i.e. 'labour law'). When I was reading it for the first time, tears were flowing from my eyes. That is because, as a Professional Engineer in Canada, I was also familiar with the humane treatment embodied in the enlightened Canadian labour laws, but the humane treatment embodied in the Shari'a law was quite compassionate compared to anything I had known.

      I felt so proud to be of the faith which had gifted humanity such a merciful set of laws.

      When the Nigerian courts sentenced a woman to be stoned, this was another 'golden' opportunity for the Western (=Zionist) media to attack shari'a and Islam. Zionist coolies like Prof. Salim Mansur and Marxist Muslims like Tarek Fatah joined the anti-Muslim ruckus. When I challenged Fatah if he had visited Nigeria, and interviewed the judges before making his allegations, he confessed all his information was from the western media.

      When I was a close friend of Mansur, I had challenged him on several of his a rticles and proven many of them were based on false information. At one time, he had agreed to send them to me for review before sending them to the media, but he found this process delayed his 'hot-off the press' rush articles. On the other hand,I could not in good conscience let false information spread without correcting them.

      None of these characters take the troubles to find out the truth. In fact, they don't care for the truth - when presented with an opportunity to slander Muslims, they jump with joy.

      When the Ontario Government proposed to allow Shari'a law for family matters, the ignorants, led by Fatah, fought day and night against that proposal and finally succeeded in its abolition, mainly due to prevailing hatred against Muslims, particularly in the Zionist contro lled media which had already spread fears against Canada becoming a 'Taliban country'.

      This discussion came up during a family dinner one day. We had with us a young and brilliant corporate lawyer, who is also my close relative. Normally he is well-read and well-informed and in most discussions and analysis of matters affecting the Muslim world, he and I often had similar views. But in the case of Shari'a, he had quite a negative view.

      That is because, unlike those of us who had to be familiar with shari'a law, either because of our job requirements or for other reasons, he did not have a chance to read shari'a, and hence, he was quite influenced by the avalanche of negative propaganda by the press. I couldn't blame him. I decided that a fami ly dinner was not the right venue to indulge in an in-depth discussion on shari'a. In any case such a discussion may put some other members to sleep or cause indigestion. So, I decided to handle it in a different way.

      Knowing my relative was a voracious reader (I guess most lawyers are), I presented a gift of a book to him, saying "you may be interested to know that the author is a non-Muslim, and also a world famous jurist, and the Vice President of the International Court of Justice. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I hope you will too".
      The book was on Shari'a :"Islamic Jurisprudence: An International Perspective" by Prof. Weeramantry.

      The difference  between this young lawyer and some others is that the former is a seeker of knowledge. When given the correct information, intellectuals like him, have the capacity to absorb the new information, analyse and evaluate it and, if warranted, change their previous attitude. Some others are eager only to hear slanders about Islam, and no amount of truth would be able to penetrate their minds. Arguing with them is a lost cause.

      Coming back to my experience in Saudi Arabia and the shari'a law, I had witnessed numerous cases in which employees, mostly from poor countries, who took their Saudi employers to court, were awarded very fair and just settlements. This is despite the fact the some employers were major corporations.

      Becau se of the layers and layers of anti-Saudi propaganda which has now reached monumental levels, most people are ready to believe any thing which is bad about Saudi Arabia. I, for one, do not suggest that some stories are not accurate, but justice demands that we view each case on its own merit and that we do not confuse matters with propaganda and libellous allegations.

      In Saudi Arabia, I have had close relationship with people of religious authority, among whom was also a judge. I found them to be people with much humility and compassion. I never felt I was a stranger among them, despite the fact they had to often speak in English, just so that I did not feel left out of the conversation. They are not the kind of people who would be so quick to a hang a poor Sri Lankan maid simply based on her alleged confession under alleged duress. They f ear Allah. Most non-Muslims may not know that those who truly and sincerely fear Allah's retribution on the Day of Judgement, do not make arbitrary judgements.

      Obviously, we are quite emotional about this girl's fate. But we have no details of what may have happened. Certainly the courts would have far more information than we have. Are we then in a better position to pass judgement? During my stay in Saudi Arabia, there have been many cases of servants committing crimes. It cannot be ruled out that the girl  may have actually committed the murder. If that is true, then the law of the land applies.

      In the USA, those found guilty of some crimes are fried in electric chairs. But their religion is not maligned! In Singapore, anyone found to poss es drugs is sentenced to death. No one maligns their religion. But when it comes to Islam, the same 'civilized' treatment gets suspended!

      Shari'a is divine and infallible, according to Islamic belief, but the shari'a courts are not infallible since this is made up of human beings who are fallible. In Canada, where we are quite proud of our legal system, many innocent people are arrested, for just being Muslims, on what is known as the 'secret evidence' and thrown in jails, without trials, for many years. Their families are torn apart and put through heartbreaking ordeals. In the past, despite the rigorous and painstaking procedures of the Canadian courts, many individuals have either been sent to the gallows or been imprisoned for life, and only years or even decades later, facts emerged, which proved their innocence.

      Similarly, it is quite likely the shari'a courts may also make similar mistakes. Quite an innocent soul may be taken in vain.

      This is not like the terrible death sentences passed by the western governments on hundreds of thousands of innocent Afghan and Iraqi men, women and children, on the unproven allegation that the 911 attackers were Muslims.

      Even if, for argument's sake, the attackers were Muslims, the Holy Bible says " No man can pay a ransom for his brother", but such mob-like blind justice,  unbounded capacity for racism, hate and vengeance, and the resulting violence and brutality meted out to completely innocent people in Afghanistan and Iraq should make anyone left with even a trickle of decency to cringe. If guilt-by association is the order of the day, then the entire population on earth would be wiped out.

      Imagine how many Rizanas are being executed in the course of just one day's bombing in Afghanistan or Iraq. Where are the condemnations, and mea-culpas, which are being demanded of Muslims for the alleged crimes by fellow Muslims? Where is the punishment to the criminals who master-minded the war, (the s o called neo-cons, the pro-Israeli Jews), and those who ordered the murders and executed them as well as those who are keeping silent?

      Such injustice is unbearable and should not be tolerated by any civilized society.

      We are anxious to make sure Rizana receives justice. We support every effort to obtain her release, if there is even an iota of doubt about her guilt. But it is despicable that the media should behave like vultures circling over dead carcasses. It is despicable that the plight of a young woman should be used as fodder to hatemongering against Muslims.

      Engr. Meer Sahib
      ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= =
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2007
        Dear brother Meer Sahib,

        Thank you very much for the comprehensive write up on this issue. Jazakallahu khiran.

        But still there are questions I dont think you should answer but we need to get answers from the Saudis?

        Why the Saudis dont give the details of the judgement to the media, why they did not respect the Sri Lankan governemnt delegation led by a deputy minister. he was even not given an appointment to discuss the matter. Why the Saudi othourities could not provide the parents of the accused to meet the parents of victims?

        A.B.M.Ashraff
        38, Moor Road
        Dehiwala
        Off. 011-2386240