Re: [sri-nepal] export sri rice to FRANCE

  • raj jha
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 14, 2009
      Hi dear
      Namaste
      This is RK Jha sending u this massageg and want to get information that how much quantity of organic SRI are required to import to France and when ? Because in sunsai district of eastern Nepal, some farmers are producing organic rice and the want to get information about it. Looking forward to get reply soon.
      Thanking you very much
      Sincerely yours
      RKJha

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 14, 2009
        dear Mr raj jha, can you give me some informations about :
        -the variety of rice. Do the farmers are growing the same variety?
        -the farmers, are they organised in a cooperative. do they already export.
        -are they all certified organic.
        -can they supply exported quality (5% broken rice and no moisture smell, no mixing between variety, no insects, no sand and others materials between rice grains.)
        -do you have a manufactory company to pack, do you vacuum?
        -Do they use raining water only, or do they irrigate?

        I am not ready to import from nepal, as I plan to do first with Indonesia. if you are really ready on all points mentionned above, I can study also from now to import from Nepal.
        Can you give me prices for 2 tonnes to begin. tell me what is for that price the packaging.
        Warm regards,
        Mis Martine Dugue for Boomatha

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 14, 2009
          Greetings Dugue Martine and all,

          I think this is all very good but I have a question or two.
          Why should it be SRI organic rice? Why not traditionally planted rice that is also organic?
          I don't think that SRI verses traditional establishment would have anything to do with the quality of rice ???
          Am also curious about the perceived differences between irrigated and rain fed??

          And good to see some action on SRI Nepal!

          Cheers, Scott

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 14, 2009
            dear Scott,
            Your question is about differences betwenn conventionnal  way of doing and SRI way?
            -->in SRI way farmers get very much more yelds,
                 flooded paddy fieldd are one of the biggests producers of methane, which is very harmfull for the earth and global warming. If you need some informations you can have a look on www..bloomagro.com, they are selling SRI in indonesia. And also SRI website http://ciifad..cornell.edu/sri/.
                    That's why I want to promote that way of doing only.
                  -->I want  to buy only if the rice hasn't take underground water to not steal population. Water will be a treasure for future generations in some country, what about nepal? is  there any problem of water?
                   -->about the quality of rice, customers are used to get such quality, I can't avoid to ask the same, otherwise they will simply not buy.
            I hope I have answered your questions,
            Can I ask about you, are you leaving in Nepal?
            rgdrs,
            Martine

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 14, 2009
                Dear Martine,
                This is a good answer to Scott. It is good for us to think about the things we are doing with and for our food systems, not just thinking in quantitative terms, which is the preoccupation of many agronomists. Environmental effects need to figure more prominently in our thinking and practice. On the question of grain quality, some objective (independent) tests should be done, but I have been told many times by farmers that they like the quality of their SRI rice, and prefer to keep it for their home consumption, selling off their other rice (because there is not yet any price premium for higher-quality, i.e., SRI, rice).

                One Sri Lankan farmer I remember telling me back in 2002 that if  his wife cooked SRI rice for the evening meal and they had some left over for breakfast the next morning, the SRI rice would be nice and firm and tasty, whereas the HYV rice was mush. If you are importing SRI rice, I think it would be worthwhile to commission some independent taste tests -- same variety if you can make such comparisons. There might also be some nutritional advantages with SRI rice, given the deeper root systems and the later senescence of roots, so micronutrients and nitrogen are being taken up to the very end of the cycle. But we have no systematic evidence on this, so we make no claims.

                Scott, for your information, was instrumental in getting the SRI-Nepal network started, back in 2002, when he was with CIMMYT, one of the few CGIAR scientists to take an active and constructive interest in SRI, for which I am very grateful. I don't know if he is still with CIMMYT and still in Nepal. He can tell you that himself. I am glad to know that you are working with Emily in Indonesia. With best regards,
                Norman

                dugue martine wrote:
                Dear Scott,
                Your question is about differences betwenn conventionnal  way of doing and SRI way?
                -->in SRI way farmers get very much more yelds,
                     flooded paddy fields are one of the biggest producers of methane, which is very harmfull for the earth and global warming. If you need some informations you can have a look on www..bloomagro.com, they are selling SRI in indonesia. And also SRI website http://ciifad..cornell.edu/sri/.
                        That's why I want to promote that way of doing only.
                      -->I want  to buy only if the rice hasn't take underground water as wter will be a treasure for future generations in some country. What about nepal? is  there any problem of water?
                       -->about the quality of rice, customers are used to get such quality, I can't avoid to ask the same, otherwise they will simply not buy.
                I hope I have answered your questions,
                Can I ask about you, are you living in Nepal?
                rgdrs,
                Martine

                De : raj jha <kant_xtl@yahoo. com>
                À : sri-nepal@yahoogrou ps.com
                Envoyé le : Lun 14 Décembre 2009, 15 h 56 min 52 s

                Hi dear
                Namaste
                This is RK Jha sending u this massage and want to get information that how much quantity of organic SRI are required to import to France and when ? Because in sunsai district of eastern Nepal, some farmers are producing organic rice and the want to get information about it. Looking forward to get reply soon.
                Thanking you very much
                Sincerely yours
                RKJha

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 14, 2009
                  Hi Scott, Norman et al
                  interesting stuff. does anyone know the situation re- organic (let
                  alone SRI) certification in Nepal? last I heard it cld only be done by
                  foreign certification organisations e.g. Australian, Thai, U.S., etc. &
                  therefore costing an arm & a leg, as Nepal had no indigenous system. I
                  believe that Nepal Permaculture Group had people qualified as
                  "certificators" (i.e. those that can certify) but that they cld only
                  work overseas - again because there was no system in Nepal.

                  I remember a farmer (in Nepal) telling me that he could tell by the
                  smell of cooking rice whether its mother plant had been transplanted
                  from the nursery to the paddy at the right time or late (he didn't
                  mention about if it was early, as it would with SRI!) - I use this on
                  courses to illustrate the power of indigenous knowledge & its
                  erosion...

                  best
                  Chris

                • raj jha
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 9, 2010
                  • 25 KB
                  Dear mis martine
                  Hi, this is raj sending u this Iam so much happy by getting your. please find attach find the file here with this e-mail
                  with best regards
                  RKJha

                  Message 9 of 15 , Feb 9, 2010
                    Dear RK Jha,

                    Perhaps one thing that could help get things going is, if Martine agreed, you could supply them a few hundred grams of each variety  as samples for testing.

                    Would like to hear more whether you have gotten some help in the organic certification. I see in the department stores these days quite a few of the coffee companies here now have certification. I see they got their certification was made by NASAA (National Association for Sustainable Agriculture Australia).  Fair Trade Certification might also help in the marketing of organic SRI.

                    If you haven't got help yet in this you might contact Helvitas who has a Coffee Promotion Project ( http://helvetasnepal.org.np/copp.htm ). Also AGro Enterprise Center in FNCCI should be able to help ( http://www.aec-fncci.org/ )

                    Cheers, Scott

                    Message 10 of 15 , Feb 13, 2010
                      Dear friends at the SRI-list,

                      interesting to read about this marketing aspects of SRI-Rice! Would be good to hear futher how this develops.

                      What else is going on in the SRI-Sanga of Nepal? Would be nice to read some update on what different people do at the moment in regard to SRI.

                      Greetings,
                      Andreas
                      --

                      Mr Andreas JENNY
                      Organisational & Community

                      Am Kindergarten 8
                      79331 Teningen
                      Germany

                      phone:     +49 [0] 7641 9528832
                      mobile:    +49 [0] 1738 456178
                      fax:       +49 [0] 7641 9528988
                      Skype:     andreas.jenny.consulting
                      eMail:     mailto:andreas@...
                      web:       http://www.devex.com/andreas_jenny
                      XING:      https://www.xing.com/profile/Andreas_Jenny3

                      Message 11 of 15 , Feb 16, 2010
                        Dear Mr RK Jha and Mr scott, I am very busy for now in india with a project with millets that is going on very fast, faster than rice one, so I'll be back to you in some months.
                        Keep in touch,
                        Regards
                        Martine

                        Message 12 of 15 , Feb 17, 2010
                          hi, did you receive my mail?

                            Message 14 of 15 , Feb 23, 2010
                              Dear Scott
                              Thank u for your letter, it's being some what, may be in Nov of this year i will try to send some sample of organic rice. but first of all you are invited to visit our native place nepal and let you have an interaction with farmers who are producing this organic rice and also fix the quantity of this type of rice that u required.
                              thanking u very much and looking foreward to see u at our place in near future ( Inaruwa town- sunsari- District- Nepal)