Titiksvah (tolerance) - quality of sadhu

  • Hemant Agrawal
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002

      All Glories to Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga!!

      Narada Gosvami gave advice to Dhruva. Dhruva's mother, Suniti, also advised him thusly. "If you have any kind of hostile mentality against your stepmother, then you will not succeed in your worship of the Lord. You will not receive His grace. Your stepmother is not the cause of your miseries--you are the cause. You have brought this upon yourself through some behavior in a previous birth. You are now reaping the fruits of that behavior:

      mamangalam tata paresu mamstha
      bhunkte jano yat para-duhkhadas tat
      (Srimad Bhagavatam, 4.8.17)

      "Do not blame others for your afflictions. You do not realize that you are receiving the same afflictions that you once inflicted upon others. God is omniscient. There cannot be any mistake in His judgment. You should tolerate this." Sadhus think like this. A sadhu does not retaliate against the oppression of others. Goodness always emanates from the sadhu. He cannot give any injury to any living being of this world. The tendency toward harm is completely absent from his character, so how can he do harm? He always does good toward others. In the holy biography of Prahlada Maharaja, you will find that he tolerated the oppression of Hiranyakasipu. Haridasa Thakura, during the life of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, also tolerated great oppression--titiksavah.

      If sugarcane is cut to pieces, will it say, "Oh! You have given me affliction! I shall give up my sweet nature! I shall become bitter or sour!"? Even if you cut sugarcane to pieces, it will not give up its nature. It will always give a sweet taste. Its nature is to give sweetness. No other tendency is there. If you heat gold, that gold will not give up its radiant glow. "Oh! I have been burnt by fire! I shall give up my beautiful radiance and become black!" No, as much as you heat the gold, by that much, its glow will increase. Like this, if you oppress the sadhu, his glory will be manifested ever more and more. He is incapable of doing any harm to any living being of the world. By such behavior, you are to understand such a person to be a sadhu.

              His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Goswami Maharaj