Krishna's illusion

  • hemantag
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 8:15 PM

      Many years ago, when I first came to Sri Caitanya Matha in Sri Mayapura, Navadvipa-dhama, India, I heard the story about a famous magician who had come to Mayapura to perform his magic. The Matha was packed with visitors, not only from Sri Mayapura, but from other places as well. Arrangements were made for the seating of all the visitors. The magician arrived at the full house, accompanied by two or three assistants. Before he began his first feat of magic, he told the audience, "You should not be frightened by what you are about to witness. I am going to take this saw and cut in half someone from the audience. By the grace of the Lord, no mishap will come to him. He will be fine." He brought out a box and a volunteer from the audience came up to lie down inside it. "Don't be frightened," he repeated, "everything will be okay." Then two of the assistants picked up a huge saw, placed it over the middle of the box and began to saw through it. After some time, they had sawn through the box. The box was in two halves. There was blood spilling onto the floor and the audience became alarmed. It appeared that the person inside the box had been killed. Many expressed fears that the police would come and arrest them. Many people began to flee.

      "Don't go! Don't be afraid!" the magician cried to them. "Why are you afraid? You are sadhus. By your grace, this man will be all right. Have no fear."

      But many of the audience still thought, "This man has been killed; we should not remain here. How can we remain here when the man's blood is pouring out?"

      Ultimately, the magician exclaimed, "Come!" He uttered some incantation and then commanded the dead man, shouting, "Rise up!" The crowd was astounded to see the man rise up, completely well.

      It was all an illusion. The magician appeared to be sawing the person in half, but there was some sort of trick going on. In actuality, he did not even touch the man. Outside persons could not see the trick. Seeing this illusion of the magician had frightened even the sadhus. What to speak of this magician and his audience, Supreme Lord Sri Krishna is performing His great magical display of infinite planets, and all are enchanted by His magic.

      --- His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Goswami Maharaj