Sadhana: A must to get the object of worship

  • hemantag
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007

      Sree Sree Guru gaurangau Jayatah!

      Devotee: Krishna is so attractive and it is so nice to hear you speak about his pastimes and his qualities and it seems right now so easy to observe and to understand how attractive Krishna is. Sometimes we find ourselves having desires to really love Krishna and understand Him even more. At the same time the power of material desires is so much stronger that, even though our intelligence tells us that Krishna is the ultimate object of all devotion, we still find ourselves attracted to these minute pleasures that we get out of material life. It is so insignificant. But still, we are not able to remember Krishna 24 hours a day like you are. Here, we are in your association. We feel that this place is transferred to Vaikuntha. Personally, I myself am experiencing that taste of Vaikuntha in your association. But then when you leave, I am afraid that maya will make me attracted to the material enjoyment once again.

      Srila Guru Maharaj: Arjuna has put one question to Krishna ,

      cancalam hi manah Krishna, pramathi balavad dhrdam

      yasyaaham nigraham manya, vaayor iva su duskaram

      Arjuna said: The mind is very restless; it is very difficult to control this mind even more than the wind. It is so difficult to control; how can I control this mind?

      asamsayam maha-baho, mano durnigraham calam

      ahyasena tu kaunteya, vairagyena ca grhyate

       "Yes, I admit mind is restless. But it cannot be controlled by your efforts. It can be controlled by abhyasena – repeatedly, you have to concentrate your mind on the object of worship. But those previous bad deeds, previous impressions will misdirect you to other places. Try to meditate on Krishna ." Unknowingly, your mind has gone to some other places – Maui and some other places – New York .

      "Oho, I have contemplated to concentrate on my object of worship and my mind has gone to some othet place." Again you will try; again your mind will go. Because after lakhs of births you have got previous impressions in the store of your mind. When you meditate these thing will come out.

      But gradually, that will go. You have to perform abhyasena; abhyasena means repeatedly. When a boy tries to walk several times the boy falls down, but that boy does not stop trying. He tries to stand and ultimately, he can stand. So, you have to go on. Without penance, without sadhana, nobody can get the object of worship. And vairagya – we should have indifference and abnegation towards the temperory things of the world; non-attachment – the real meaning of vairagya

      visaya vinivartante, niraharasya dehinah

      rasa-varjam raso apy asya, param drstva nivartate

       You have got love for, attachment to God – Supreme Lord, who is all bliss. Automatically your attachment towards this world is removed – automatically. It is the positive side of vairagya and the negative side; you have to perform this sadhana – repeatedly you must try.

      --- HDG Srila Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Goswami Maharaj