Letter 1/14

  • Subal Das
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 9:58 AM
      Briefly I want to say - Lust is the heart disease of all conditioned souls
      of the world. Our Most Revered Gurudeva used to give an illustration of the
      dog. If the tail of the dog is made straight by pulling and when pulling
      will be stopped, the tail of the dog will return to it's curled state. In
      the like manner, at the time of associating with sadhus, we think we have
      become alright but the moment we give up the company of the sadhus, we
      forget everything and we come to the same state what we were before. It is a
      long journey, all of a sudden we cannot get the desired fruit. As Rupa
      Goswami has said in the Upadeshamrita - "Without earnestness, firm belief
      that Krishna will surely grace, patience, practicing devotional forms,
      disassociating from non-sadhus, accepting scriptural prescripts, we cannot
      get success in our devotional spiritual life.

      In your worldly life also, if you loose patience, you cannot
      succeed. So far spiritual amelioration, immense patience is necessary.

      Chaitanya Mahaprabhu advised the household devotees first, "You
      do Harinam, you serve Vaishnavas and worship Deities". But when household
      devotees again asked what they will do after going back to their home.
      Chaitanya Mahaprabhu advised them, "You do Harinam and serve Vaishnavas",
      without mentioning about worship of Deities. It is true that householders,
      for their entanglement with worldly things should worship Deities for
      engaging their sense-organs in service of the Deities, worship of Deities
      (installed Deities) should be performed without offence. A householder
      should think seriously before installing Deities, whether they will be able
      to worship Deities without offence and can continue the seva-puja. You can
      worship portraits of Guru-Vaishnavas-Bhagavan, where there is less
      possibility of committing offence.

      More when we meet. Hope this will find you in good health and
      spirits. My love to you all.

      Affectionately yours,

      B B Tirtha