Suddha-bhakti is our goal in spite of being rare

  • hemantag
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2006
      Without transforming the ego, it is not possible to begin the search
      for Sri Krishna. What the mundane ego prompts us to do will inevitably
      be mundane and gross. Without transcending this barrier of maya, the
      search for paramartha cannot begin. When one understands his origin in
      Vaikuntha—the spiritual kingdom transcendental to maya—then
      automatically, one's greed for and sense of habitual duty towards the
      objects of the material world disappear. "I am an eternal servitor of
      Sri Bhagavan"—when this awareness awakens, then love for Sri Krishna,
      His personal associates, and anything connected with Sri Krishna
      automatically surges forth. To serve Sri Krishna and His devotees,
      knowing one's relationship with Them (sambandha-jnana), is known as
      hari-bhajana. Prior to the awakening of pure sambandha-jnana, there
      may be mixed devotion (misra-bhakti), such as offering all results of
      one's activities etc., but there cannot be pure devotion
      (suddha-bhakti). Suddha-bhakti might be extremely rare, but yet, that
      is our goal. One may find many enchanting things in the orchard of the
      fruitive workers (karma-kandis), but none of them will be of use in
      getting Sri Kåñna. The real fact is that without being established in
      knowledge of the Self (atma), one cannot practice actual
      vaikuntha-bhajana. It would be foolish to waste this precious human
      birth in chasing the mundane and ordinary under the regular course of
      affairs. In fact, we should make the best use of a bad bargain.

      --- Om Vishnupad 108 Sree Sreemad Bhakti dayita Madhava Goswami Maharaj