No sadhana greater than Nama-bhajana

  • hemantag
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2006
      The scriptures, as well as our predecessor acaryas, have advised us to
      give up karma (fruitive activity), jnana (knowledge), yoga
      (meditation), tyaga (renunciation), vrata (accepting vows) and tapasya
      (practising austerities), and have advised us to practice only harinama:

      harer nama harer nama
      harer namaiva kevalam
      kalau nasty eva nasty eva
      nasty eva gatir anyatha
      (BĂ„han-naradiya Purana 38.126)

      "In this age of Kali there is no alternative, there is no alternative,
      there is no alternative for spiritual progress other than the Holy
      Name, the Holy Name, the Holy Name of the Lord."

      Therefore, forgetting all fascination for any other type of discipline
      and understanding that there is no difference between the Name and the
      Named, chant the Holy Name. There is no sadhana greater than this. No
      other way will yield faster results. Nama-bhajana is the topmost among
      the thousands of limbs of devotion and is the essence of the teachings
      of Sri Caitanyadeva. Pretending to call out to Bhagavan Sri Hari while
      having somebody or something else in mind does not constitute
      nama-bhajana. On the contrary, it is an offence unto the Lotus Feet of
      the Holy Name. I shall consider myself fortunate if both of you
      lovingly continue your nama-bhajana and worship of the Supreme Lord.