If we speak of wordly things, they come to our minds.

  • Hemant Agrawal
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2004

      nayam atma pravacanena labhyo
      na medhaya na bahuna srutena
      yam evaiva vrnute tena labhyas
      tasyaiva atma vivrnute tanum svam (2.23
      )

      "God cannot be attained, realized by delivering lectures, by intellect, by becoming a great erudite scholar. The Supreme Lord will reveal His own Eternal Form only to a bonafide surrendered soul."

      As my Divine Master has ordered me, I should speak whatever I have heard from Him and from my superiors, guruvarga (the line of teachers in the preceptorial channel). That recitation will purify my mind and take me to the Transcendental Realm. I should not speak to please the worldly people. If I do so, my spiritual life will be spoiled.

      At a young age, I renounced the world and I took shelter at the Lotus Feet of Gurudev. I try to carry out the orders of my Divine Master to speak what I have heard so far from Him, from other Siksa Gurus (teachers) and from authentic scriptures. That recitation after hearing will purify my mind. Wherever I go, although I've got my drawbacks, I've got no hold over English or other languages, I try to carry out the orders of my Divine Master. If I go on speaking about worldly things, my mind will become attached to worldly things. If I speak about Krsna, my mind will go there. This is called "chanting"-- chanting of the glories of the Supreme Lord, His Name, Forms, Attributes and Pastimes. Chanting is one form of devotion; hearing is also a form of devotion. Pariksit Maharaja, by hearing only, got the ultimate goal of life. If we speak about worldly things, then worldly, temporary things will come to our minds. Ultimately, we shall have frustration in our life.

      You will find at the end of the Gita, its glorification:

      gita su-gita kartavya
      kim anyaih sastra-vistaraih
      ya svayam padmanabhasya
      mukha-padmad-vinihsrta

      "Gita should be rightly read, with one-pointed devotion for the satisfaction of Sri Krsna. No other scripture is needed if one takes shelter of the Gita. Gita emerges from the Holy Lips of Sri Krsna and is one with Him."

      It is not material sound. In material sound, you will find the thing referred to by a sound is different from the sound. If you utter the word "water, water, water," the water-word is not the water- thing. The word "water" refers to a thing understood to be water. Here you will find a difference between the water-word and the thing referred to by the word "water." But Krsna and the Name of Krsna are One and the same. Gita and Krsna are identical. So, by taking shelter of the Gita we can have contact with Krsna. We have gone through the Gita, we have read the Gita, but we have no devotion to Krsna, This is not actual reading. If we read Gita actually, we will have devotion to Sri Krsna.

                       His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Goswami Maharaj