Bonafide Guru

  • Hemant Agrawal
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      Guravo bahabah santi sisyavittapaharakah
      Durlabhah sadgururdevi, sisyasantapaharkah

      Mahadeva's instruction to Parvati - 'There may be many so called gurus in
      this world to squeeze money from disciples, but a Bonafide Guru who can
      remove the drawbacks and sufferings of disciples is very rare'. If we want
      quality, we cannot get quantity. If we are keen to increase quantity, we
      shall have to sacrifice quality. Who is Bonafide Guru? What are the
      characteristics of a Bonafide Guru? Prabuddha Muni's instructions in regard
      to this -

      tasmad gurum prapadyeta
      jijnasuh sreya uttamam
      sabde pare ca nisnatam
      brahmanyupasamasrayam
      Bhagavat 11 / 3 / 21

      "Therefore, enquire Gurudeva about the best eternal welfare with complete
      submission to Him. A Bonafide Guru is endowed with two special qualities: 1)
      He is well-versed in authentic scriptures and 2) has realisation of
      Divinity.