Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

  • Igor Stasenko
    Message 1 of 68 , Jun 30, 2009
      2009/7/1 Ramon Leon <ramon.leon@...>:
      >> Bert, are you serious?
      >>
      >> Enough with the children! It's been done and redone and overdone. The
      >> past and the future confounded. Why can't we live the present living?
      >> You're talking about something that might (or might not) produce
      >> engineers in the next, say, 20 years? Smalltalk will be around 50
      >> years by then. I find it painful that our community wouldn't be a
      >> little bit more practical, for a change..
      >>
      >> Right here, right now.
      >>
      >> Ian.
      >>
      >> PS: I am so sorry... I don't even have spare children to furiously
      >> train on Squeak...
      >>
      >> --
      >> http://mecenia.blogspot.com/
      >
      > +10
      >
      > Seriously, stop talking about kids, who cares, I'll be retired by the
      > time they're useful.  Programming languages are tools that are
      > primarily used by and useful for adults, they should be aimed at
      > adults.  I want Smalltalk to be usable now, not at some unspecified
      > time in some imaginary future where it takes over the world by getting
      > kids before they've been introduced to other environments.  It's pure
      > fantasy to think this'll happen, it won't.  This is the attitude that
      > holds Squeak back and prevents anyone from taking it too seriously.
      > This is why Pharo will continue to steal mind-share and Squeak will
      > die.

      +10.
      Let us separate the domains:
      1. Squeak for developers who need a modern & sound smalltalk
      environment which fullfills their needs and
      2. Squeak for teachers/children/endusers who will use a wonderfull
      environment produced by software engineers.

      If you don't have 1st, you can't progress in 2nd, because obviously
      developers do not like sitting in child room and pretend that they are
      sitting in the lab.

      --
      Best regards,
      Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
      Message 68 of 68 , Jul 9, 2009
        For me nothing about OB is familiar. I cant find menu items, menu items
        work differently, and there is this text box thing which never does
        anything as I expect it to.

        Perhaps some documentation would help, even a screencast.

        Keith