941Watershed discussion, 1-3 PM, Sat May 3, ISU East Hall

  • Laura Merrick
    May 2, 2014
      The notice below is for a discussion about water quality and nutrient management in Iowa waterways. It will take place on Sat May 3 at 1-3 PM on the Iowa State University campus in Room 113 East Hall. The focus will be the Raccoon River watershed, but forwarding this to the Squaw Creek Watershed Coalition listserve because I am assuming the meeting is open and that members of the SCWC would be welcome to join the discussion (the Floras are both emeritus professors in the ISU Sociology Dept.):

      Join Dr. Cornelia Flora and Dr. Jan Flora  on May 3rd in East Hall Room 113 from 1-3pm to discuss the topic Beyond the Nutrient Management Strategy: What Next?  Water quality remains a serious issue in Iowa.  There are many signs that this is being recognized, but also troubling signs of resistance to efforts to improve water quality.  How do we work together to show that improving water quality is not a matter of “I gotcha”, but looking for ways that the entire state can work together to improve this most important resource on which we all depend.  Join us in a conversation with members of the Raccoon River Watershed Association to discuss nutrient reduction in Iowa’s rivers and streams.  How do we know the current state of water quality?  How do we monitor to see where problems lie?  How do we help land operators improve their efficiency in the use of inputs so that more goes to the plants and less to the water?  And how can we insure that spills from manure lagoons are more quickly identified and addressed?

      --Laura Merrick