      Subject:RSVP: River Currents: What's the DAM Solution? (Sat; 4/21)
      Date:Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:48:11 -0500
      From:Iowa Rivers Revival <rlehman@...>

      Goodafternoon,

      IowaRivers Revival encourages you attend this DAM seminar to learn more about the value of free flowing rivers…removing unnecessary and unsafe dams can help boost local recreation and economic interests in utilizing your local river.

      We would appreciate if you could help get the word out to your network and others stakeholders on your lists?  We hope that you will be able to attend and add to this very important discussion.

      Thankyou!

      What's the DAM Solution?  Exploring options for dealing with Iowa dams.

      IRR is coordinating a dam seminar to address the multiple perspectives concerning dams on rivers in Iowa. We have developed an agenda that will present an overview of dam issues while facilitating a discussion among presenters and participants.

      -          What are the purpose of dams; do we need them?

      -          What are concerns related to dam safety?

      -          What are some alternatives to new dams?

      -          How can we address aging/deteriorating infrastructure that no longer serves it original purpose?

      Saturday, April 21, 2012

      1:00 p.m. – 5 p.m.

      Blank Park Zoo – Discovery Room

      7401 SW 9th Street, Des Moines, IA 50315

      Registration: $10

      RSVP: rlehman@... or 515.202.7720

      AGENDA

      Introduction

      Dam Preview

      Dam Removal Options – presentations from

      -          American Rivers

      -          Charles City, Iowa

      Dam Panel – discussion among presenters and River Currents participants

      Break

      RiverAdvocates/Stakeholder Panel – a discussion about different perspectives concerning dams

      Wrap-up

      Iowa’s2010 Plan for Dam Mitigation:  http://www.iowadnr.gov/Recreation/CanoeingKayaking/LowHeadDams/DamMitigationSafety.aspx

      FacebookEvent link:  http://www.facebook.com/events/100650263400942/

      Iowa Rivers Revival (IRR)is Iowa’s only statewide river education and advocacy organization committed to protecting one of our most precious natural resources – our rivers and streams. Since 2007, IRR has been working to engage individuals, organizations, communities and our government leaders in river awareness, responsibility and enjoyment in an effort to improve and enhance the condition of Iowa’s waterways – ensuring a quality, safe and lasting resource for future generations.

      RosalynLehman

      ExecutiveDirector

      IowaRivers Revival

      POBox 72, Des Moines, IA 50301