915Fwd: 2011 Flood Outlook (Mar 2) and Ames Reads Leopold + “Green Fire” film (Mar 6)

  • Rick Dietz
    Feb 26, 2011
      Briefing on Spring Precipitation and Flooding Outlooks

      Wednesday, March 2, 6:00-8:00 pm

      Iowa State Historical Building, 600 E. Locust, Des Moines

      Is the stage set for another wet spring?

      What is the risk of flooding in Iowa this spring?

      The ISU Climate Science Program and Iowa Flood Center will co‐host a public information briefing to discuss Iowa spring rainfall and flood outlooks. The program will present newly developed flood information services for communities, an update on recent legislative activities, and spring outlooks from national and local weather experts. The brief presentations will be followed by a question and answer session and reception to encourage further discussion.

      Agenda

      Welcoming Remarks

      Dr. Richard Cruse

      Director, Iowa Water Center

      Connecting recent changes in Iowa precipitation to floods

      Dr. Eugene S. Takle, Director, ISU Climate Science Program

      Community centric flood information system

      Dr. Witold Krajewski, Director, Iowa Flood Center

      Midwest Spring Precipitation and Temperature Outlook

      Ed O’Lenic, Chief of Operations, NOAA Climate Prediction Center

      Midwest Spring Flood Outlook

      Steve Buan, Service Coordination Hydrologist, NOAA North Central River Forecast Center

      Iowa Spring Flood Outlook

      Jeff Zogg, Hydrologist National Weather Service Des Moines Weather Forecast Office

      Update on Iowa Legislative Activities

      Susan Judkins Josten, Rebuild Iowa Office

      Question and answer session followed by reception

      For more information, contact: Chris Anderson, 515‐294‐9948, cjames@...

      And visit our website at http://www.biorenew.iastate.edu/events/cpas2011.html

      (or try http://www.iowafloodcenter.org/events/2680/)

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Ames Tribune > Sports

      Outdoors Notebook: ‘Ames Reads Leopold’ March 6

      Published: Friday, February 25, 2011 5:40 PM CST
      Curt Meine’s documentary film about Aldo Leopold, “Green Fire,” will be shown for the first time in Iowa during “Ames Reads Leopold” at 1 p.m. Sunday, March 6, at Ames Public Library, 515 Douglas Ave.

      The film is a new documentary that details Leopold’s life, including his view on land ethics and how he chose to implement those ideas into his everyday thinking. Excerpts from “A Sand County Almanac” also will be read aloud in conjunction with the movie. The event is free and open to the public.

      The Ames event joins similar celebrations in other communities during the first weekend in March when people gather to hear Leopold’s writings read aloud and demonstrate their commitment to his vision.

      To learn more about “Aldo Leopold Weekends,” visit www.aldoleopold.org.

      Source: http://www.amestrib.com/articles/2011/02/26/ames_tribune/sports/outdoors/doc4d683d5143181280242744.prt

      "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. ~Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac"
      — Aldo Leopold

      And this -

      2011 Iowa Water Conference  "More Water to Manage"
      March 7-8, 2011
      Scheman Continuing Education Building
      Iowa State University

      http://www.aep.iastate.edu/iwc/