Re: [mugh-sqlcon] SQL Server Backup

  • somesh sahu
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
      no u don,t have to need to give the extension of the file

      Saleem Hakani <hakani_saleem@...> wrote:
      It's okay if you don't give an extention to the backup file as when restoring SQL Server understands that it's the backup file just by reading the header information.

      On the other hand if you specify an extension than you are sure that the file with .bak is your database backup file...  You can distinguish the differences between other files with the same name when you have an extension.

      Thank you,
      Saleem Hakani

      ciaofromluca <ciaofromluca@...> wrote:

      Hi

      In the SQL Server Backup window (Enterprise Manager/Database/All Tasks/
      Backup Database)/Destination section if I decide to back up the
      database to a file on the local hard drive, do I have to give any
      extension to the file where I'm going to back my database up(ex.
      Northwind_Backup.bak) or no extension is required (ex.
      Northwind_Backup)?

      Thank you
      Kind Regards
      Luca

      Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

    • Saleem Hakani
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
        Somesh, as mentioned earlier "It's okay if you don't give the extension" but I suggest that extensions be assigned in order to avoid confusion.

        It is always a good practice to assign extensions to backup files rather than confusing yourself.

        Thank you,
        Saleem Hakani