Re: MUGH-SQLCON How to identify cross-database dependencies?

  • ravindhar Bonagiri
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24 8:57 AM
      Hi Senthil,

      You can access the objects across the databases using Linked Server concept. Create linked server and use the syntax like select * from <LSNAME>.dbname.sys.objects . this should work.

      Thanks,
      RaviFrom: "ramakrishna_e2" <ramakrishna.elashwarapu@...>Sent: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:08:11 To: sqlcon@yahoogroups.comSubject: MUGH-SQLCON How to identify cross-database dependencies?

      Hi Senthil,Only way you could find dependencies is using SYSCOMMENTS table & sp_depends stored Proc.Please find below article that will give you more info and hope this helps you...http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3571026/Finding-Database-Object-Dependencies.htmThanks,Rama--- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Senthil Kumar T R <trsenthilkumar@...> wrote:>> Hello All,> I have this situation:>  > I have two databases say "db1" and "db2".> I have a table "tbl1" in the database db1.> I have a SP  proc1 in databse db2 that accesses the data from db1.dbo.tbl1>  > These are just samples and I have many tables and procdures accessing the objects across the databases.>  >  > Given this situation, From db1 - Is there an easy way to identify stored procedures of db2 that are depending on the tables of this database?>  > Similarly, From db2 - How can I identify the tables of db1 that the procedures of db2 are depending on?>  > It looks like I cannot rely on sys.syscomments as it may not be fool-proof/straight forward.>  >  I tried sp_depends, but that gives the dependencies only within the same database.>  > Any ideas?>  > Thanks> Senthil T R> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>