Mirroring in Simple Recovery Model.

  • mohd rizwan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hello Friends,

      I need to know why we can not setup mirroring in SIMPLE recovery model.

      If you say logs get trucated in simple recovery model so Suppose we are using HIGH PROTECTION mode of mirroring so transaction will be commited on both the databases at same time. Till commit, transaction is active so it won't trucated at all and after commit if it gets trucated, it should not affect mirroring. Still we can not configure mirroring in Simple Recovery Model.

      Does anyone have any internal document or knowledge how mirroring exactly works? I need to know whether it uses LSN to make mirroring run successfully or not. If yes, how LSN is being used.

      Experts, please suggest.

      Thanks & Regards,
      Mohd Rizwan
      (¨`·.·´¨) Always
      `·.¸(¨`·.·´¨) Keep
      (¨`·.·´¨)¸.·´ Smiling!
      `·.¸.·´

    • VISHNAT
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
        Rizwan ,

        I would think it would have to do with how the system is developed , besides a simple recovery model doesnt mean the log gets truncated it mean there is minimal log activity in the database..

        While using Simple recovery the engine would probably use placeholders and restrict the information it puts in the transaction log.

        HTH

        Vish

        --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, mohd rizwan <mo2riz@...> wrote:

        > Hello Friends,
        >
        > I need to know why we can not setup mirroring in SIMPLE recovery model.
        >
        > If you say logs get trucated in simple recovery model so Suppose we are using HIGH PROTECTION mode of mirroring so transaction will be commited on both the databases at same time. Till commit, transaction is active so it won't trucated at all and after commit if it gets trucated, it should not affect mirroring. Still we can not configure mirroring in Simple Recovery Model.
        >
        > Does anyone have any internal document or knowledge how mirroring exactly works? I need to know whether it uses LSN to make mirroring run successfully or not. If yes, how LSN is being used.
        >
        > Experts, please suggest.
        >

        > Thanks & Regards,
        > Mohd Rizwan
        > (¨`·.·´¨) Always
        > `·.¸(¨`·.·´¨) Keep
        > (¨`·.·´¨)¸.·´ Smiling!
        > `·.¸.·´

      • mohd rizwan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2011
          Thank you very much Vishnat for you reply but I don't think it is true.........In simple recovery model also everything gets logged as per my knowledge......I might be wrong......Can anyone please correct me if I am wrong?

          I am still waiting the answer of my first question (mentioned in below email) with some document or MS article proof etc...

          Thanks & Regards,
          Mohd Rizwan
          (¨`·.·´¨) Always
          `·.¸.·´