Re: MUGH-SQLCON Rebuild index Task fails in Maintenance Plan

  • Santhosh
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
      Radhey,

      //Take the database into the single user mode run the index rebuild and then
      agin back to the multi user mode
      This is the standard procedure to rebuild index in the production//

      This approach will not work in OLTP systems which requires 24/7 availability. If
      you put in single user mode it will be a complete down time for the application.
      The better approach would be to run the reindex during which the system is used
      minimally.

      With :))s
      Santhosh Kumar S.J - MCITP
      ReadMe @ sqlspy.blogspot.com
      ReadMe @ santhoshpakkangal.blogspot.com

      ________________________________
      From: muthu narayanan <avm_narayanan@...>
      To: sqlcon@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, September 24, 2010, 2:21 PM

      HI ,

      You can enable the trace flag by running this command

      dbcc traceon (1222,-1)

      or add it start up parameter in SQL Server

      Thanks,
      Muthu

      From: mohd rizwan <mo2riz@...>
      To: sqlcon@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, 24 September, 2010, 1:46 AM

      HI Sentil,

      Error itself telling that your process has been killed as a Dead Lock victim. It
      means at the same time you are running some other process or jobs also, that is
      creating dead lock. You can check those...or if you want to catch dead lock
      information....enable the trace flag 1222 by DBCC TRACEON command. This trace
      will log all dead lock information in your sql server error log.

      Thanks & Regards,

      Mohd Rizwan

      (¨`·.·´¨) Always

      `·.¸(¨`·.·´¨) Keep

      (¨`·.·´¨)¸.·´ Smiling!

      `·.¸.·´

      Date: Thursday, 23 September, 2010, 1:08 PM

      Hi Friends,

      I am new to SQL Server Administration.

      I have created the Daily Maintenance plan as below and the Rebuild Index task
      fails once in a week.

      Backup Database Task - All Databases --> Maintenance Cleanup Task - Older than 1
      weeks --> Check Database Integrity Task - Include Indexes --> Shrink Database
      Task - All Databases --> Rebuild Index Task - Object Tables and Views --> Update
      Statistics Full Scan

      Now once or twice in a week the Rebuild Index Task is fails as below

      Failed:(-1073548784) Executing the query "ALTER INDEX [PK_TestSet_Now] ON
      [dbo].[TestSet_Now] REBUILD WITH ( PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE =
      OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, ONLINE
      = OFF )

      " failed with the following error: "Transaction (Process ID 66) was deadlocked
      on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock
      victim. Rerun the transaction.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the
      query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or
      connection not established correctly.

      Kindly help me on this to get it resolved.

      Regards

      Senthil

    • Senthil Kumar K
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
        Thanks to all

        From: muthu narayanan <avm_narayanan@...>

        To: sqlcon@yahoogroups.com

        From: Senthil Kumar K <mail.ksenthil@...>

        To: sqlcon@yahoogroups.com

        From: mohd rizwan <mo2riz@...>

        To: sqlcon@yahoogroups.com

        From: Senthil Kumar K <mail.ksenthil@...>

        To: sqlcon@yahoogroups.com

        Cc: mail.ksenthil@...

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
          If there is no down time in production for rebuild index and other maintaince work , then what can I say :)

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
            Thats how most of the systems in the world work :).. we cant have a real down
            time but will have times where there will be minimal activity in the DB..

            With :))s
            Santhosh Kumar S.J - MCTS

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 24, 2010
              if issue is because of deadlock, the reindex job gets fail, then solution is,we have to think which contending sql statement creating deadlock victim.

              if  the server has sql server 2008.
              then link will help you out in finding deadlock contending sql statement.
              http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/deadlock/65658/

              rest you can do later on..

              with regards
              Rakesh.