Question on SQL 2005 Replication

  • Prince
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2010
      I have a scenario where I need to replace the hardware for my Distributor and Subscriber in SQL 2005 transactional replication. The challenge I am facing is that I have a lot of Data in my subscriber currently and I do not want to re-initialize the entire data from the publisher from scratch. Also, I want to do this activity of h/w replacement while my publisher is online.

      Can someone suggest some solution to this?

      Thanks,
      Prince

    • koushik roy
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2010
        Prince,
        As per your mail, looks like you have distributor and subscriber in same server.
        you may need to take following steps to avoid re-initializing the entire data from the publisher from scratch.
        --> delete publication and subscription.
        --> disable distribution.
        --> upgrade your hardware
        --> setup distribution
        --> add publication
        -->while adding subscription, uncheck initialize to synchronized publisher and subscriber at first shot.
        it called replication support only,this option is from sql 2005 and above.
        http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1117

        For the safe side, before implementation, you have to re-verify in your dev/qa environment first.

        All the best.

        Thanks,
        Koushik

        ________________________________
        I have a scenario where I need to replace the hardware for my Distributor and Subscriber in SQL 2005 transactional replication. The challenge I am facing is that I have a lot of Data in my subscriber currently and I do not want to re-initialize the entire data from the publisher from scratch. Also, I want to do this activity of h/w replacement while my publisher is online.

        Can someone suggest some solution to this?

        Thanks,
        Prince

        Your Mail works best with the New Yahoo Optimized IE8. Get it NOW! http://downloads. yahoo.com/ in/internetexplo rer/

      • Prince
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17, 2010
          Thanks a lot for your reply.

          My Distributor and Subscriber are on 2 different servers and I need to replace both of them.