Re: MUGH-SQLCON Database design

  • Viswanath Subramanian
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2009
      UTC Datetime is a good way to go as the way i see , would recommend altering
      the tables by adding another field with UTCDatetime ..and Having different
      Individual s procs (_US ,_CHN_IND etc) handing regional datetime .. If
      anybody got better ideas ill be intrested to know too..

      Good Day ...
      On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Birumanandan <birumanand@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > We have a timing problem in our existing database design, the main
      > purpose of our database is to produce reports in RS and all the
      > reports are time based.
      > **************************
      > We are running on Sql 2000
      > **************************
      >
      > The main problem is : We have a database server is Austin and which
      > is used in China, Europe, India and Austin. All the calculation are
      > performed based on the Austin Local time.
      > for example :
      > China : Getdate() - X hours
      > India : Getdate() - 11.5 hours
      > Europe: Getdate() - 6 hours
      > US : Getdate()
      >
      > and the same time calculations are used in the RS front end to
      > display the local time for each regions. We are migrating the server
      > to India now.
      >
      > Please let me know if the above description of my problem is not
      > clear, coz it took me close to a weeks time to go through all the
      > procs and RS report definitions to understand the databse design and
      > the process in place.
      >
      > My question is , is there a universal database design to solve the
      > multi time zone difference. I know SQL server does not address the
      > multi time zonal difference.
      >
      > There were couple of options we have in hand.
      > 1 - Use the GMT (getutcdate())
      > 2 - Set the server time to US time which would solve all the issues,
      > but its against the policy.
      >
      > in short , I'm in Soup.
      > Can you help me, please.
      >
      > Thanks and regards,
      >
      > Birumanand

    • Sandeep Chanda
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2009
        Keep time as one of the parameters for the function and send the local time from the UI ( In your case it would be the report).

        Regards,
        Sandeep

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2009
          One simple solution I find is to use getutcdate() instead of getdate()

          In Sql 2008 we have DateTimeOffset a new datatype where we can indicate time zone of that date.

          Reagrds
          Shiv