Re: MUGH-SQLCON Returning specific values from a string.

  • Ajay
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2008
      HI,

      In the SQL Server 2005, you can use localhost instead of local.

      Thanks,
      Ajay Jain

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2008
        Hello Inder,

        Localhost or (.) or Local will not work as the machine name and the instance name that exress edition takes by default (i.e \sqlexpress) are different. Localhost works if the machine name and sql server instance names are same.

        -Prema

        In the SQL Server 2005, you can use localhost instead of local.

        Thanks,
        Ajay Jain

        I hv installed SQL 2005 express edition and its working fine. I have little problem in login I can log on with sa and with NT authentication by selectiong the server name e.g.  abc\SQLEXPRESS where abc in my machine name. but when i give (local) or local I am unable to logon ....as we normally do in sql 2000 . Similarly in ODBC DSN also instance name works ok but not (local) or local
        Any suggestions, .
        Regards,
        Inder

        Bring your gang together. Do your thing. Find your favourite Yahoo! group at http://in.promos. yahoo.com/ groups/

        Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on http://help. yahoo.com/ l/in/yahoo/ mail/yahoomail/ tools/tools- 08.html/

        Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download. Go to http://in.webmessenger.yahoo.com/

      • Varra Reddy
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 19, 2008
          Anybody has an any idea how to fix the below issues and start working on installing the cluster from 2k to 2k5.
          Error message when you install SQL Server 2005:

          "There was an unexpected failure during the setup wizard"

          Below is the extracted the log for detail error.
           Failed to find property "ComputerList" {"SqlComputers", "", ""} in cache
                            Source File Name: datastore\clusterinfocollector.cpp
                          Compiler Timestamp: Fri Sep 16 13:20:12 2005
                               Function Name: ClusterInfoCollector::collectClusterVSInfo
                          Source Line Number: 883
                          Failed to detect VS info due to datastore exception.
                                            Source File Name: datastore\clustergroupsproperties.cpp
                                          Compiler Timestamp: Fri Jul 29 01:13:49 2005
                                               Function Name: ClusterGroupScope.SharedDisks
                                          Source Line Number: 56
                                          Failed to find a cluster group that owned shared disk: C:

          Please let me know any best ideas...

          Thanks
          Srinivas

        • Inderjeet Chana
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2008
            Dear All,
            When  I restore database in sql2005 i simply clickon databases->Restore databases and fill all the required info but restore fails with the message
            Restore failed for server....
            directory lookup for the file "d:\abc\sales.mdf " failed with the operating system error 2(The system canot find the file specified)
            While in SQL 2000 it works..WHY SO
            I understand that the file does not existing on the given path ..but SQL should create the path and then store this file on this path as it was in sql 2000.
            what is the best way to restore new db then ?
            ( i first created the DB with same name and then restored from backup file this way it restored..but whynot by firstway)
            pl  suggest

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 21, 2008
              Hi Varra,

              SQL has issues with cluster installs when you have a login open on any of
              the remote nodes.

              Another problem might be the Windows Task Scheduler is not running on the
              remote node.

              And yet another is that teh remote node may not be able to "see" the
              installation source.  Locked-down or removed admin shares will cause that.

              Stop the services of antivirus software.

              Restart all the nodes before starting the installation.

              Check these things and see if any help.

              Regrds
              Anand

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 22, 2008
                Hi Inder,

                Don't create a new database beforehand . When open the restore DB
                window , just type the name of the database u want,it will
                autamatically creates database with that name. And second point is ,
                When u r restoring the dat file , dat file contains the meta data ,
                which contains the old path . Go to the options tab , see the path
                correctly whether it exists in yur system.

                Thanks,
                Shashi.

                --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Inderjeet Chana <i_s_chana@...> wrote:

                > Dear All,
                > When  I restore database in sql2005 i simply clickon databases-
                >Restore databases and fill all the required info but restore fails
                with the message
                > Restore failed for server....
                > directory lookup for the file "d:\abc\sales.mdf " failed with the
                operating system error 2(The system canot find the file specified)
                > While in SQL 2000 it works..WHY SO
                > I understand that the file does not existing on the given
                path ..but SQL should create the path and then store this file on
                this path as it was in sql 2000.
                > what is the best way to restore new db then ?
                > ( i first created the DB with same name and then restored from
                backup file this way it restored..but whynot by firstway)
                > pl  suggest
                > Regards
                > Inder

              • s manikanth
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 26, 2008
                  You might have to give the "move" option details for the new location details of the logical files inside the backup file.

                  Try "Restore filelistonly from disk='path&filename.bak'  " and get the file location details and see if the destination server also has the same path and folder incase if you dont want to use move option

                  thks,
                  Mani