Re: MUGH-SQLCON Returning specific values from a string.

  • Inderjeet Chana
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2008
      Dear All,
      I hv installed SQL 2005 express edition and its working fine. I have little problem in login I can log on with sa and with NT authentication by selectiong the server name e.g.  abc\SQLEXPRESS where abc in my machine name. but when i give (local) or local I am unable to logon ....as we normally do in sql 2000 . Similarly in ODBC DSN also instance name works ok but not (local) or local
      Any suggestions,.
      Regards,
      Inder

      Bring your gang together. Do your thing. Find your favourite Yahoo! group at http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/

    • Ajay
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2008
        HI,

        In the SQL Server 2005, you can use localhost instead of local.

        Thanks,
        Ajay Jain

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 18, 2008
          Hello Inder,

          Localhost or (.) or Local will not work as the machine name and the instance name that exress edition takes by default (i.e \sqlexpress) are different. Localhost works if the machine name and sql server instance names are same.

          -Prema

          In the SQL Server 2005, you can use localhost instead of local.

          Thanks,
          Ajay Jain

          I hv installed SQL 2005 express edition and its working fine. I have little problem in login I can log on with sa and with NT authentication by selectiong the server name e.g.  abc\SQLEXPRESS where abc in my machine name. but when i give (local) or local I am unable to logon ....as we normally do in sql 2000 . Similarly in ODBC DSN also instance name works ok but not (local) or local
          Any suggestions, .
          Regards,
          Inder

          Bring your gang together. Do your thing. Find your favourite Yahoo! group at http://in.promos. yahoo.com/ groups/

          Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on http://help. yahoo.com/ l/in/yahoo/ mail/yahoomail/ tools/tools- 08.html/

          Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download. Go to http://in.webmessenger.yahoo.com/

        • Varra Reddy
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 19, 2008
            Anybody has an any idea how to fix the below issues and start working on installing the cluster from 2k to 2k5.
            Error message when you install SQL Server 2005:

            "There was an unexpected failure during the setup wizard"

            Below is the extracted the log for detail error.
             Failed to find property "ComputerList" {"SqlComputers", "", ""} in cache
                              Source File Name: datastore\clusterinfocollector.cpp
                            Compiler Timestamp: Fri Sep 16 13:20:12 2005
                                 Function Name: ClusterInfoCollector::collectClusterVSInfo
                            Source Line Number: 883
                            Failed to detect VS info due to datastore exception.
                                              Source File Name: datastore\clustergroupsproperties.cpp
                                            Compiler Timestamp: Fri Jul 29 01:13:49 2005
                                                 Function Name: ClusterGroupScope.SharedDisks
                                            Source Line Number: 56
                                            Failed to find a cluster group that owned shared disk: C:

            Please let me know any best ideas...

            Thanks
            Srinivas

          • Inderjeet Chana
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2008
              Dear All,
              When  I restore database in sql2005 i simply clickon databases->Restore databases and fill all the required info but restore fails with the message
              Restore failed for server....
              directory lookup for the file "d:\abc\sales.mdf " failed with the operating system error 2(The system canot find the file specified)
              While in SQL 2000 it works..WHY SO
              I understand that the file does not existing on the given path ..but SQL should create the path and then store this file on this path as it was in sql 2000.
              what is the best way to restore new db then ?
              ( i first created the DB with same name and then restored from backup file this way it restored..but whynot by firstway)
              pl  suggest

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 21, 2008
                Hi Varra,

                SQL has issues with cluster installs when you have a login open on any of
                the remote nodes.

                Another problem might be the Windows Task Scheduler is not running on the
                remote node.

                And yet another is that teh remote node may not be able to "see" the
                installation source.  Locked-down or removed admin shares will cause that.

                Stop the services of antivirus software.

                Restart all the nodes before starting the installation.

                Check these things and see if any help.

                Regrds
                Anand

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 22, 2008
                  Hi Inder,

                  Don't create a new database beforehand . When open the restore DB
                  window , just type the name of the database u want,it will
                  autamatically creates database with that name. And second point is ,
                  When u r restoring the dat file , dat file contains the meta data ,
                  which contains the old path . Go to the options tab , see the path
                  correctly whether it exists in yur system.

                  Thanks,
                  Shashi.

                  --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Inderjeet Chana <i_s_chana@...> wrote:

                  > Dear All,
                  > When  I restore database in sql2005 i simply clickon databases-
                  >Restore databases and fill all the required info but restore fails
                  with the message
                  > Restore failed for server....
                  > directory lookup for the file "d:\abc\sales.mdf " failed with the
                  operating system error 2(The system canot find the file specified)
                  > While in SQL 2000 it works..WHY SO
                  > I understand that the file does not existing on the given
                  path ..but SQL should create the path and then store this file on
                  this path as it was in sql 2000.
                  > what is the best way to restore new db then ?
                  > ( i first created the DB with same name and then restored from
                  backup file this way it restored..but whynot by firstway)
                  > pl  suggest
                  > Regards
                  > Inder

                • s manikanth
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 26, 2008
                    You might have to give the "move" option details for the new location details of the logical files inside the backup file.

                    Try "Restore filelistonly from disk='path&filename.bak'  " and get the file location details and see if the destination server also has the same path and folder incase if you dont want to use move option

                    thks,
                    Mani