Re: command to read fronm ldf file which transactions were done in sql 2000

  • kanchan verma
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2008
      Hi

      Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions were done

      regards

    • s manikanth
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2008
        i think you have to use a third party tool like Log Explorer or APEX SQL

        kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@...> wrote: Hi

        Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions were done

        regards

      • Madhu K Nair
        Message 3 of 18 , May 3, 2008
          No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL Command. There
          are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
          already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In SQL
          Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
          which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
          database.

          Madhu

          --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
          were done

          > regards

        • Kuldeep Chauhan
          Message 4 of 18 , May 4, 2008
            Hi Madhu,

            How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't know what and why she need to read log files?

            Kanchan,

            Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log file? We may be able to help you.

            Thanks,
            Kuldeep

            Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
            No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL Command. There
            are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
            already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In SQL
            Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
            which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
            database.

            Madhu

            --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
            were done

            > regards

          • Madhu K Nair
            Message 5 of 18 , May 5, 2008

              What i meant to say was, why he or she need to read the TL? It may be
              for auditing / or to find malpractice or to get the data back which
              was wrongly updated. If this is the requirement, if you configure CDC
              you have log who and what time what transaction and what was the data
              changed (history) every thing available in the log table. Its may
              not help you to read TL directly but it solve your purpose.

              I hope it make sense

              thanks

              Madhu

              --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Kuldeep Chauhan <mrkuldeepchauhan@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Madhu,
              >
              > How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't
              know what and why she need to read log files?

              > Kanchan,
              >
              > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
              file? We may be able to help you.

              > Thanks,
              > Kuldeep
              >
              > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
              > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
              Command. There
              > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
              > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
              SQL
              > Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
              > which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
              > database.
              >
              > Madhu
              >
              > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi
              > >
              > > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
              > were done
              > >
              > > regards

            • kanchan verma
              Message 6 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                i do have sql 2000 only

                Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
                No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL Command. There
                are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In SQL
                Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
                which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                database.

                Madhu

                --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                >
                > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
                were done

                > regards

              • Kuldeep Chauhan
                Message 7 of 18 , May 8, 2008
                  Reading transaction log is not a general practice otherwise Microsoft would have already provided a built in tool for this, though there are tools provided by ISV's but the point here is what is exact requirement? Until and unless we are clear with a problem scenario our recommendations might go wrong.

                  Now coming to CDC, this is a feature in SQL Server 2008 and as we know this product is still under CTP and not released to enterprise customers, RTM release is planned some time in Q4, 2008.
                  CDC is mainly focused for enterprise customers for data warehouse ETL scenarios where you expect change in dimensions of Type-2 and Type-3 or data during ETL, please read http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/2/8b22991f-3f2f-4cea-b2ba-55c190841145/SQL2008IntroDW.docx and see what Gopal Ashok (Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 CDC group), Sunil Agarwal, T.K. Anand (Analysis Services Lead PjM) says. CDC can be used in other vital scenarios but whatever you have described below can be also achieved with AUDITING features in SQL Server 2008 up to an extent, but again it is of no use for them who are really not using that product version.

                  What I am trying to simply say is that we should always first understand the product used then problem scenario and then resolution steps if we can give.

                  Thanks,
                  Kuldeep

                  Hi,

                  wrote:

                  > Hi Madhu,
                  >
                  > How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't
                  know what and why she need to read log files?

                  > Kanchan,
                  >
                  > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
                  file? We may be able to help you.

                  > Thanks,
                  > Kuldeep
                  >
                  > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
                  > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
                  Command. There
                  > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                  > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
                  SQL
                  > Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
                  > which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                  > database.
                  >
                  > Madhu
                  >
                  > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi
                  > >
                  > > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
                  > were done
                  > >
                  > > regards

                • kanchan verma
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                    Exactly we would like to know who has acessed our database and viewed the result through rollnumber.....

                    lets say table name is xyz then who has acessed the table

                    regards

[...]

                    Hi,

                    wrote:

                    > Hi Madhu,
                    >
                    > How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't
                    know what and why she need to read log files?

                    > Kanchan,
                    >
                    > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
                    file? We may be able to help you.

                    > Thanks,
                    > Kuldeep
                    >
                    > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
                    > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
                    Command. There
                    > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                    > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
                    SQL
                    > Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
                    > which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                    > database.
                    >
                    > Madhu
                    >
                    > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi
                    > >
                    > > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
                    > were done
                    > >
                    > > regards

                  • Madhu K Nair
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                      Hi Kuldeep,

                      If you see my first post I never said TL reading is a general practice
                      ( but I do believe it's a genuine requirement, I can quote 100s of
                      threads in MSDN forum where this requirement mentioned). AFAIC… I
                      only suggest what could be the possible solution. Here what I did
                      is, I just gave a hint what SQL Server 2008 offers. Everyone knows
                      SQL Server 2008 is in CTP and I never mentioned otherwise. I also
                      know its edition specific and as of now it included in EE edition
                      only. its subjected to change since its in CTP.. Audit AFAIK, it
                      tells you what or who have done an action but will not tell u what
                      the data was (changed data).

                      Now let me tell you why I mentioned CDC here. Suppose the OP's
                      requirement is to get the data back (it was only assumption coz i
                      have seen many such requirement ) if its wrongly updated or need some
                      kind of auditing system. when I said there are third party tools
                      available , if the requirement is genuine he or she may go and buy
                      that. If the same organization have any plan to upgrade to SQL Server
                      2008 as soon as its released, then buyig tool is a wastage of money.
                      That's why I gave a hint.

                      I totally agree with your guide lines, but unfortunately such post
                      will be an ideal post and we all know ideal things never happen.
                      Nevertheless, I will try to follow that.

                    • Kuldeep Chauhan
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 11, 2008
                        Bingoe.....so this is your requirement.....in SQL Server 2000 there are three straight forward ways to do this but both will have some affect on performance.

                        1. Enable C2 Auditing (don't audit application log), this will track most server wide events like login / logoff, object level access. As this will track server wide event this will definitely cost on performance, so plan to use it carefully.

                        2. Create Server side traces, with this you can instruct SQL Server that which event category you want to audit plus you can filter your criteria also. The big advantage of this over C2 Audit is that you can tweak it as per your requirements but C2 Audit will log all. To know more about both the above approaches you can refer to SQL Server 2000 Auditing article at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/sqlserver/sql2kaud.mspx

                        3. Create trigger on your table that can monitor insert / update / delete, in this way you can keep track of who did what operation on your table. Again as this is a trigger based approach this will also cost a little on performance. (If you plan to upgrade to SQL Server 2005 in near future you can also take advantage of DDL triggers to audit events at database levels, this feature is not present in SQL Server 2000).

                        Thanks,
                        Kuldeep

[...]

                        Hi,

                        wrote:

                        > Hi Madhu,
                        >
                        > How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't
                        know what and why she need to read log files?

                        > Kanchan,
                        >
                        > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
                        file? We may be able to help you.

                        > Thanks,
                        > Kuldeep
                        >
                        > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
                        > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
                        Command. There
                        > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                        > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
                        SQL
                        > Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
                        > which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                        > database.
                        >
                        > Madhu
                        >
                        > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi
                        > >
                        > > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
                        > were done
                        > >
                        > > regards

                      • kanchan verma
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
                          Thanx i got the soln and developed for above

                          but here ppl just talk they donot give soln

                        • Deepak Garg
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 4, 2008
                            Kanchan,

                            I have read this mail just now...

                            For your kind information we all are here for open discussion, to share our thoughts about the problems and for possible solutions.

                            If you don’t like the group, nobody welcomed you to come over here...its all up to you.

                            We would (specially I) not like to come anyone here and say something wrong about the group.

                            Cheers,
                            Deepak

                            Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
> [...]

                            > > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
                            > file? We may be able to help you.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > > Kuldeep
                            > >
                            > > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@> wrote:
                            > > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
                            > Command. There
                            > > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                            > > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
                            > SQL
                            > > Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data
                            capture)
                            > > which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                            > > database.
                            > >
                            > > Madhu
                            > >
                            > > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi
                            > > >
                            > > > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions

                          • Sandeep Soni
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 8, 2008
                              Log Explorer is a good choice.