Re: MUGH-SQLCON Re: Code Changes required while migrating sql server 2000 to 2005

  • kanchan verma
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2008
      Hi

      Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions were done

      regards

      Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
      You may download it from microsoft site. Its also comes the the SQL
      Server installation media, but its better to download the latest
      version of the tool

      check these links

      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1470e86b-
      7e05-4322-a677-95ab44f12d75&displaylang=en
      http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3595276

      Madhu

      --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, rakesh kumar <hisinha_rakesh@...>

      ______________

      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2008
        Hi

        Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions were done

        regards

      • s manikanth
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2008
          i think you have to use a third party tool like Log Explorer or APEX SQL

          kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@...> wrote: Hi

          Message 4 of 18 , May 3, 2008
            No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL Command. There
            are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
            already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In SQL
            Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
            which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
            database.

            Madhu

            --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
            were done

            > regards

          • Kuldeep Chauhan
            Message 5 of 18 , May 4, 2008
              Hi Madhu,

              How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't know what and why she need to read log files?

              Kanchan,

              Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log file? We may be able to help you.

              Thanks,
              Kuldeep

              Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
              No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL Command. There
              are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
              already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In SQL
              Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
              which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
              database.

              Madhu

              --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              >
              > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
              were done

              > regards

            • Madhu K Nair
              Message 6 of 18 , May 5, 2008

                What i meant to say was, why he or she need to read the TL? It may be
                for auditing / or to find malpractice or to get the data back which
                was wrongly updated. If this is the requirement, if you configure CDC
                you have log who and what time what transaction and what was the data
                changed (history) every thing available in the log table. Its may
                not help you to read TL directly but it solve your purpose.

                I hope it make sense

                thanks

                Madhu

                --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Kuldeep Chauhan <mrkuldeepchauhan@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi Madhu,
                >
                > How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't
                know what and why she need to read log files?

                > Kanchan,
                >
                > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
                file? We may be able to help you.

                > Thanks,
                > Kuldeep
                >
                > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
                > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
                Command. There
                > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
                SQL
                > Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
                > which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                > database.
                >
                > Madhu
                >
                > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi
                > >
                > > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
                > were done
                > >
                > > regards

              • kanchan verma
                Message 7 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                  i do have sql 2000 only

                  Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
                  No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL Command. There
                  are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                  already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In SQL
                  Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
                  which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                  database.

                  Madhu

                  --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@...> wrote:

                  > Hi
                  >
                  > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
                  were done

                  > regards

                • Kuldeep Chauhan
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 8, 2008
                    Reading transaction log is not a general practice otherwise Microsoft would have already provided a built in tool for this, though there are tools provided by ISV's but the point here is what is exact requirement? Until and unless we are clear with a problem scenario our recommendations might go wrong.

                    Now coming to CDC, this is a feature in SQL Server 2008 and as we know this product is still under CTP and not released to enterprise customers, RTM release is planned some time in Q4, 2008.
                    CDC is mainly focused for enterprise customers for data warehouse ETL scenarios where you expect change in dimensions of Type-2 and Type-3 or data during ETL, please read http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/2/8b22991f-3f2f-4cea-b2ba-55c190841145/SQL2008IntroDW.docx and see what Gopal Ashok (Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 CDC group), Sunil Agarwal, T.K. Anand (Analysis Services Lead PjM) says. CDC can be used in other vital scenarios but whatever you have described below can be also achieved with AUDITING features in SQL Server 2008 up to an extent, but again it is of no use for them who are really not using that product version.

                    What I am trying to simply say is that we should always first understand the product used then problem scenario and then resolution steps if we can give.

                    Thanks,
                    Kuldeep

                    Hi,

                    wrote:

                    > Hi Madhu,
                    >
                    > How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't
                    know what and why she need to read log files?

                    > Kanchan,
                    >
                    > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
                    file? We may be able to help you.

                    > Thanks,
                    > Kuldeep
                    >
                    > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
                    > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
                    Command. There
                    > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                    > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
                    SQL
                    > Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
                    > which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                    > database.
                    >
                    > Madhu
                    >
                    > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi
                    > >
                    > > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
                    > were done
                    > >
                    > > regards

                  • kanchan verma
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                      Exactly we would like to know who has acessed our database and viewed the result through rollnumber.....

                      lets say table name is xyz then who has acessed the table

                      regards

[...]

                      Hi,

                      wrote:

                      > Hi Madhu,
                      >
                      > How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't
                      know what and why she need to read log files?

                      > Kanchan,
                      >
                      > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
                      file? We may be able to help you.

                      > Thanks,
                      > Kuldeep
                      >
                      > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
                      > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
                      Command. There
                      > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                      > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
                      SQL
                      > Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
                      > which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                      > database.
                      >
                      > Madhu
                      >
                      > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi
                      > >
                      > > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
                      > were done
                      > >
                      > > regards

                    • Madhu K Nair
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 9, 2008
                        Hi Kuldeep,

                        If you see my first post I never said TL reading is a general practice
                        ( but I do believe it's a genuine requirement, I can quote 100s of
                        threads in MSDN forum where this requirement mentioned). AFAIC… I
                        only suggest what could be the possible solution. Here what I did
                        is, I just gave a hint what SQL Server 2008 offers. Everyone knows
                        SQL Server 2008 is in CTP and I never mentioned otherwise. I also
                        know its edition specific and as of now it included in EE edition
                        only. its subjected to change since its in CTP.. Audit AFAIK, it
                        tells you what or who have done an action but will not tell u what
                        the data was (changed data).

                        Now let me tell you why I mentioned CDC here. Suppose the OP's
                        requirement is to get the data back (it was only assumption coz i
                        have seen many such requirement ) if its wrongly updated or need some
                        kind of auditing system. when I said there are third party tools
                        available , if the requirement is genuine he or she may go and buy
                        that. If the same organization have any plan to upgrade to SQL Server
                        2008 as soon as its released, then buyig tool is a wastage of money.
                        That's why I gave a hint.

                        I totally agree with your guide lines, but unfortunately such post
                        will be an ideal post and we all know ideal things never happen.
                        Nevertheless, I will try to follow that.

                      • Kuldeep Chauhan
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 11, 2008
                          Bingoe.....so this is your requirement.....in SQL Server 2000 there are three straight forward ways to do this but both will have some affect on performance.

                          1. Enable C2 Auditing (don't audit application log), this will track most server wide events like login / logoff, object level access. As this will track server wide event this will definitely cost on performance, so plan to use it carefully.

                          2. Create Server side traces, with this you can instruct SQL Server that which event category you want to audit plus you can filter your criteria also. The big advantage of this over C2 Audit is that you can tweak it as per your requirements but C2 Audit will log all. To know more about both the above approaches you can refer to SQL Server 2000 Auditing article at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/sqlserver/sql2kaud.mspx

                          3. Create trigger on your table that can monitor insert / update / delete, in this way you can keep track of who did what operation on your table. Again as this is a trigger based approach this will also cost a little on performance. (If you plan to upgrade to SQL Server 2005 in near future you can also take advantage of DDL triggers to audit events at database levels, this feature is not present in SQL Server 2000).

                          Thanks,
                          Kuldeep

[...]

                          Hi,

                          wrote:

                          > Hi Madhu,
                          >
                          > How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't
                          know what and why she need to read log files?

                          > Kanchan,
                          >
                          > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
                          file? We may be able to help you.

                          > Thanks,
                          > Kuldeep
                          >
                          > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
                          > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
                          Command. There
                          > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                          > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
                          SQL
                          > Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data capture)
                          > which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                          > database.
                          >
                          > Madhu
                          >
                          > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi
                          > >
                          > > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions
                          > were done
                          > >
                          > > regards

                        • kanchan verma
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 4 12:39 AM
                            Thanx i got the soln and developed for above

                            but here ppl just talk they donot give soln

                          • Deepak Garg
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 4 12:02 PM
                              Kanchan,

                              I have read this mail just now...

                              For your kind information we all are here for open discussion, to share our thoughts about the problems and for possible solutions.

                              If you don’t like the group, nobody welcomed you to come over here...its all up to you.

                              We would (specially I) not like to come anyone here and say something wrong about the group.

                              Cheers,
                              Deepak

                              Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
> [...]

                              > > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
                              > file? We may be able to help you.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks,
                              > > Kuldeep
                              > >
                              > > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@> wrote:
                              > > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
                              > Command. There
                              > > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
                              > > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
                              > SQL
                              > > Server 2008 there is a new feature called CDC (change data
                              capture)
                              > > which is meant to track and keep the history of data changes in a
                              > > database.
                              > >
                              > > Madhu
                              > >
                              > > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi
                              > > >
                              > > > Can i get a command to read fronm ldf file which transactions

                            • Sandeep Soni
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 8, 2008
                                Log Explorer is a good choice.