Linked Access database.

  • mohd rizwan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2008
      Hi Friends,

      I have to create a linked server for Access database into my SQL Server 2000 but my access database exist on a network drive.Can anyone please help me how to accomplish this task.

      Let me tell what all I have tested till now.

      1 - I gave the full path of under Data source (\\servername\networkdrive\path\abc.mdb) and add a server login also but no success.

      2 - I started the service under a domain account. That account is having full access of that network drive but no success. My login is not having the access of that drive.

      3 - I copied the access database on local drive then I am able to access thru linked server.

      Please let me know how can I link that database and make it operational.

      Thanks a lot in advance....

      Rizwan....

    • Sandeep Chanda
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18, 2008
        Try this:

        Use Map Network Drive to assign a Drive letter to your share. E.g.

        E: à (\\servername\networkdrive\path<file:///\\servername\networkdrive\path>). Then use :

        E:\abc.mdb

        Regards,

        Sandeep Chanda

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2008
            Did you create a mapping between the sql login and a security account on the remote server? I already assumed that. In case you haven't please follow:

            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189811.aspx

            Regards,

            Sandeep Chanda

            Sandeep Chanda <sandeep.chanda@...<mailto:sandeep.chanda%40neudesic.com>> wrote:
            Try this:

            Use Map Network Drive to assign a Drive letter to your share. E.g.

            E: à (\\servername\networkdrive\path<file:///<file:///\\>\\servername\networkdrive\path>). Then use :

            E:\abc.mdb

            Regards,

            Sandeep Chanda

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 20, 2008
              Hi Rizwan

              Change the server authentication to Mixed Mode in Server Properties
              and than try.

              Karan

              --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, mohd rizwan <mo2riz@...> wrote:

              > Thanks a lot Sandeep for the reply....I have tested this also...I
              mapped that drive under SQL service account (becaue i dont have
              access of that drive) and created the linked server and I was able to
              query also on linked database from the server itself but from client
              location I am not able to acccess this linked server....I have to
              create this for some developers and they will access it from thier
              local machine but this is not happening....please help me how to do
              this..

              > Rizwan....
              >
              > Sandeep Chanda <sandeep.chanda@...> wrote:
              > Try this:
              >
              > Use Map Network Drive to assign a Drive letter to your share. E.g.
              >
              > E: à (\\servername\networkdrive\path<file:///
              \\servername\networkdrive\path>). Then use :

              > E:\abc.mdb
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Sandeep Chanda

              Behalf Of mohd rizwan
              > Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 4:49 PM
              > To: sqlcon@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: MUGH-SQLCON Linked Access database.
              >
              > Hi Friends,
              >
              > I have to create a linked server for Access database into my SQL
              Server 2000 but my access database exist on a network drive.Can
              anyone please help me how to accomplish this task.

              > Let me tell what all I have tested till now.
              >
              > 1 - I gave the full path of under Data source
              (\\servername\networkdrive\path\abc.mdb) and add a server login also
              but no success.

              > 2 - I started the service under a domain account. That account is
              having full access of that network drive but no success. My login is
              not having the access of that drive.

              > 3 - I copied the access database on local drive then I am able to
              access thru linked server.

              > Please let me know how can I link that database and make it
              operational.

              > Thanks a lot in advance....
              >
              > Rizwan....

              http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

              http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

            • Sandeep Chanda
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 20, 2008
                Good catch. This might be the problem.

                Regards,

                Sandeep Chanda

                --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com<mailto:sqlcon%40yahoogroups.com>, mohd rizwan <mo2riz@...> wrote:

                > Thanks a lot Sandeep for the reply....I have tested this also...I
                mapped that drive under SQL service account (becaue i dont have
                access of that drive) and created the linked server and I was able to
                query also on linked database from the server itself but from client
                location I am not able to acccess this linked server....I have to
                create this for some developers and they will access it from thier
                local machine but this is not happening....please help me how to do
                this..

                > Rizwan....
                >
                > Sandeep Chanda <sandeep.chanda@...> wrote:
                > Try this:
                >
                > Use Map Network Drive to assign a Drive letter to your share. E.g.
                >
                > E: à (\\servername\networkdrive\path<file:///<file:///\\>
                \\servername\networkdrive\path>). Then use :

                > E:\abc.mdb
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Sandeep Chanda

              • mohd rizwan
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 20, 2008
                  Server is already running under mixed mode...well how it can affect if server is in windows authentication mode because I am using only domain account.

                  Thanks & Regards,
                  Mohd Rizwan

                  (¨`·.·´¨) Always
                  `·.¸.·´