how much space needed for back up 40 gb database

  • alok
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
      Hi all,
      i want to know how much space needed for back up 40 gb database in sql
      server 2000,
      thanks
      alok
    • mohan mareboina
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
        Alok,

        Normally the back up size will be your DB size (40 GB in this case).

        if you use SQL litespeed, it can shirnk back up up to 4~5 GB.

        --jacks.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008
          Alok,

          Backup size depands on actual data in database. Backup does not contents free space so check all this and try to identify the backup size. Due to this some time you can see more differance in DB size and backup size.

          Thanks,
          Nitin

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2008
            Hi Alok,
            If you have space requirements, you can use third party backup
            tools. Idera is giving a free backup tool with limited
            functionality. If you are stisfied witht he tool, you can purchase a
            full featured tool. We are using the free tool and its enough for
            our purpose.

            Regards,
            Preethiviraj Kulasingham

            --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, kunal choudhary <nitin_mca_23@...>