Re: MUGH-SQLCON Re: Automating a DB action

  • taruna gaur
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Deepak,

      i have the same problem as Chaks but i have to read the flat file from ftp and then i have to insert data into sql server 2000.

      can you suggest something

      Regards,
      Taruna

      Deepak Kumar <deepakontheweb@...> wrote:
      Chaks: I can give you process overview to accomplish the task using
      SQL 2000.. You will need to apply business logic and write T-SQL
      commands for it as per your xml file.

      1. create a SQL JOb to run after 2 mins or 5 mins (as frequently you
      want to search and process xml files)

      2. -- when I was writing this email for you, I found a link that
      contain easy steps with details for using "Bulk insert":

      http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/5357/

      Read all details from there, create ur own SP and call the SP in
      above defined SQL Job.

      example:
      Text_File_Bulk_Import 'c:\Flat_file.txt','c:\bcp.fmt', 3

      3. Now, once xml file is processed, you can use Xp_Cmdshell from T-
      SQL to rename that xml file or delete. Add this step in SQL Job just
      after calling SP.

      Do let me know if you are finding it confusing or difficult. :-)

      Cheers,
      Deepak Kumar

      MVP, MCDBA - SQL Server
      http://www.forum.sqlknowledge.com

      --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "DAMAKARUDU" <damakarudu@...> wrote:

      > Well Deepak
      >
      > I need the solution for SQL 2000 at the moment, as it takes time to
      > upgrade to SQL 2005, and I need this solution urgently.
      >
      > Thanks & Regards
      > Chaks
      >
      > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "Deepak Kumar" <deepakontheweb@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Chaks: How would you like to finish this work... I mean in MS
      > SQL
      > > Server 2000 or 2005. The answer may vary on the basis of SQL
      > version.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Deepak Kumar
      > > MVP, MCDBA - SQL Server
      > > www.forums.sqlknowledge.com
      > >
      > > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "DAMAKARUDU" <damakarudu@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Dear Deepak,
      > > >
      > > > Thats a suitable suggestion to upgrade for SQL 2005. I
      > appreciate.
      > > > Another request, Is there any mechanism in DB Engine to
      automate
      > > > data dumping into the database tables.
      > > >
      > > > My application (which gathers network information based on
      > > scheduled
      > > > timings) generates XML files periodically and puts in the
      > server's
      > > > Floder. Can we automate DB Engine to automatically pick the
      > > > XML file and dump the data into the DB, when ever an XML file
      is
      > > > copied to this floder, and later delete the XML file. I think
      we
      > > > need to use API to monitor the folder contents whenever a
      change
      > is
      > > > occured, and fire the related (data dumping) event.
      > > >
      > > > The requirement is clear, but the solution is somewhat
      confusing.
      > > > Please help.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks & Regards
      > > > Chaks

    • Deepak Kumar
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Taruna: I have a SP to refer you.. Thanks to: Nigel R;

        FTP get file using tsql Author Nigel Rivett

        Create procedure s_ftp_GetFile
        @FTPServer varchar(128) ,
        @FTPUser varchar(128) ,
        @FTPPWD varchar(128) ,
        @FTPPath varchar(128) ,
        @FTPFileName varchar(128) ,

        @SourcePath varchar(128) ,
        @SourceFile varchar(128) ,

        @workdir varchar(128)
        as
        /*
        exec s_ftp_GetFile
        @FTPServer = 'www.myftpsite.com' ,
        @FTPUser = 'myuser' ,
        @FTPPWD = 'mypwd' ,
        @FTPPath = '' ,
        @FTPFileName = 'myfile.html' ,
        @SourcePath = 'c:\vss\mywebsite\' ,
        @SourceFile = 'myfile.html' ,
        @workdir = 'c:\temp\'
        */

        declare @cmd varchar(1000)
        declare @workfilename varchar(128)

        select @workfilename = 'ftpcmd.txt'

        -- deal with special characters for echo commands
        select @FTPServer = replace(replace(replace
        (@FTPServer, '|', '^|'),'<','^<'),'>','^>')
        select @FTPUser = replace(replace(replace
        (@FTPUser, '|', '^|'),'<','^<'),'>','^>')
        select @FTPPWD = replace(replace(replace
        (@FTPPWD, '|', '^|'),'<','^<'),'>','^>')
        select @FTPPath = replace(replace(replace
        (@FTPPath, '|', '^|'),'<','^<'),'>','^>')

        select @cmd = 'echo '
        + 'open ' + @FTPServer
        + ' > ' + @workdir + @workfilename
        exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmd
        select @cmd = 'echo ' +
        @FTPUser
        + '>> ' + @workdir + @workfilename
        exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmd
        select @cmd = 'echo ' +
        @FTPPWD
        + '>> ' + @workdir + @workfilename
        exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmd
        select @cmd = 'echo '
        + 'get ' + @FTPPath + @FTPFileName + ' ' + @SourcePath +
        @SourceFile
        + ' >> ' + @workdir + @workfilename
        exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmd
        select @cmd = 'echo '
        + 'quit'
        + ' >> ' + @workdir + @workfilename
        exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmd

        select @cmd = 'ftp -s:' + @workdir + @workfilename

        create table #a (id int identity(1,1), s varchar(1000))
        insert #a
        exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmd

        select id, ouputtmp = s from #a

        GO

        http://www.nigelrivett.net/FTP/s_ftp_GetFile.html

        wrote:
        > Chaks: I can give you process overview to accomplish the task
        using
        > SQL 2000.. You will need to apply business logic and write T-SQL
        > commands for it as per your xml file.
        >
        > 1. create a SQL JOb to run after 2 mins or 5 mins (as frequently
        you
        > want to search and process xml files)
        >
        > 2. -- when I was writing this email for you, I found a link that
        > contain easy steps with details for using "Bulk insert":
        >
        > http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/5357/
        >
        > Read all details from there, create ur own SP and call the SP in
        > above defined SQL Job.
        >
        > example:
        > Text_File_Bulk_Import 'c:\Flat_file.txt','c:\bcp.fmt', 3
        >
        > 3. Now, once xml file is processed, you can use Xp_Cmdshell from T-
        > SQL to rename that xml file or delete. Add this step in SQL Job
        just
        > after calling SP.
        >
        > Do let me know if you are finding it confusing or difficult. :-)
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Deepak Kumar
        >
        > MVP, MCDBA - SQL Server
        > http://www.forum.sqlknowledge.com
        >
        > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "DAMAKARUDU" <damakarudu@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Well Deepak
        > >
        > > I need the solution for SQL 2000 at the moment, as it takes time
        > > upgrade to SQL 2005, and I need this solution urgently.
        > >
        > > Thanks & Regards
        > > Chaks
        > >
        > > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "Deepak Kumar" <deepakontheweb@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Chaks: How would you like to finish this work... I mean in
        MS
        > > SQL
        > > > Server 2000 or 2005. The answer may vary on the basis of SQL
        > > version.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Deepak Kumar
        > > > MVP, MCDBA - SQL Server
        > > > www.forums.sqlknowledge.com
        > > >
        > > > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "DAMAKARUDU" <damakarudu@>

        > > appreciate.
        > automate

        > > > scheduled
        > > server's
        > is
        > we
        > change
        > > is

        > confusing.

      • Roji. P. Thomas
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
          Great Deepak. I appreciate you for giving credits to the original author.

          Hope everyone will follow this simple practice :)

          Regards
          Roji. P. Thomas
          http://toponewithties.blogspot.com

          wrote:
          > Chaks: I can give you process overview to accomplish the task
          using
          > SQL 2000.. You will need to apply business logic and write T-SQL
          > commands for it as per your xml file.
          >
          > 1. create a SQL JOb to run after 2 mins or 5 mins (as frequently
          you
          > want to search and process xml files)
          >
          > 2. -- when I was writing this email for you, I found a link that
          > contain easy steps with details for using "Bulk insert":
          >
          > http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/5357/
          >
          > Read all details from there, create ur own SP and call the SP in
          > above defined SQL Job.
          >
          > example:
          > Text_File_Bulk_Import 'c:\Flat_file.txt','c:\bcp.fmt', 3
          >
          > 3. Now, once xml file is processed, you can use Xp_Cmdshell from T-
          > SQL to rename that xml file or delete. Add this step in SQL Job
          just
          > after calling SP.
          >
          > Do let me know if you are finding it confusing or difficult. :-)
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Deepak Kumar
          >
          > MVP, MCDBA - SQL Server
          > http://www.forum.sqlknowledge.com
          >
          > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "DAMAKARUDU" <damakarudu@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Well Deepak
          > >
          > > I need the solution for SQL 2000 at the moment, as it takes time
          > > upgrade to SQL 2005, and I need this solution urgently.
          > >
          > > Thanks & Regards
          > > Chaks
          > >
          > > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "Deepak Kumar" <deepakontheweb@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Chaks: How would you like to finish this work... I mean in
          MS
          > > SQL
          > > > Server 2000 or 2005. The answer may vary on the basis of SQL
          > > version.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Deepak Kumar
          > > > MVP, MCDBA - SQL Server
          > > > www.forums.sqlknowledge.com
          > > >
          > > > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "DAMAKARUDU" <damakarudu@>

          > > appreciate.
          > automate

          > > > scheduled
          > > server's
          > is
          > we
          > change
          > > is

          > confusing.

        • Santhosh
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
            We are having a very high transaction server. We dont
            care about the data loss but we need fast insertion.
            Currently the database is under simple recovery model.
            Apart from speed what is the advantage of this model
            and if we switch to full recovery what will be the
            performance issues we will be having. Thanks for your
            reply.

            with smiles
            Santhosh

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • kumanan archunan

              wrote:
              > Chaks: I can give you process overview to accomplish the task
              using
              > SQL 2000.. You will need to apply business logic and write T-SQL
              > commands for it as per your xml file.
              >
              > 1. create a SQL JOb to run after 2 mins or 5 mins (as frequently
              you
              > want to search and process xml files)
              >
              > 2. -- when I was writing this email for you, I found a link that
              > contain easy steps with details for using "Bulk insert":
              >
              > http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/5357/
              >
              > Read all details from there, create ur own SP and call the SP in
              > above defined SQL Job.
              >
              > example:
              > Text_File_Bulk_Import 'c:\Flat_file.txt','c:\bcp.fmt', 3
              >
              > 3. Now, once xml file is processed, you can use Xp_Cmdshell from T-
              > SQL to rename that xml file or delete. Add this step in SQL Job
              just
              > after calling SP.
              >
              > Do let me know if you are finding it confusing or difficult. :-)
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Deepak Kumar
              >
              > MVP, MCDBA - SQL Server
              > http://www.forum.sqlknowledge.com
              >
              > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "DAMAKARUDU" <damakarudu@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Well Deepak
              > >
              > > I need the solution for SQL 2000 at the moment, as it takes time
              > > upgrade to SQL 2005, and I need this solution urgently.
              > >
              > > Thanks & Regards
              > > Chaks
              > >
              > > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "Deepak Kumar" <deepakontheweb@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Chaks: How would you like to finish this work... I mean in
              MS
              > > SQL
              > > > Server 2000 or 2005. The answer may vary on the basis of SQL
              > > version.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Deepak Kumar
              > > > MVP, MCDBA - SQL Server
              > > > www.forums.sqlknowledge.com
              > > >
              > > > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "DAMAKARUDU" <damakarudu@>

              > > appreciate.
              > automate

              > > > scheduled
              > > server's
              > is
              > we
              > change
              > > is

              > confusing.

            • Deepak Kumar
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
                Santhosh:
                I would suggest look at the DISKIO requirments part for your database
                to process efficiently. How you have configured and placed your
                database files play importent role when comparing with Recovery model.

                Is this DB files are on SAN/ NAS/ or DAS file system, what is the
                raid level, speed of disks and number?

                Run Windows Perfmon and findout hardware bottlenecks if you are
                experiencing slow insertion or want to increase performance. counters
                are well described in
                http://www.extremeexperts.com/SQL/Articles/SQLCounters.aspx link.

                In full recovery mode SELECT INTO, CREATE INDEX, and bulk loading
                data, are fully logged hence will require more DISKIO to complete
                operations. ;-)

                As per SQL BOL:
                ----------------
                The Full Recovery model uses database backups and transaction log
                backups to provide complete protection against media failure. If one
                or more data files is damaged, media recovery can restore all
                committed transactions. In-process transactions are rolled back.

                Full Recovery provides the ability to recover the database to the
                point of failure or to a specific point in time. To guarantee this
                degree of recoverability, all operations, including bulk operations
                such as SELECT INTO, CREATE INDEX, and bulk loading data, are fully
                logged.

                --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Santhosh <san_spy@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > We are having a very high transaction server. We dont
                > care about the data loss but we need fast insertion.
                > Currently the database is under simple recovery model.
                > Apart from speed what is the advantage of this model
                > and if we switch to full recovery what will be the
                > performance issues we will be having. Thanks for your
                > reply.
                >

                > with smiles
                > Santhosh

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • taruna gaur
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Hi Santhosh,

                  I think this link will be useful for you
                  http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/1d76e446-3122-4f2d-a696-1e260ae740f91033.mspx?mfr=true
                  Regards,
                  Taruna

                  Santhosh <san_spy@...> wrote: Hi,
                  We are having a very high transaction server. We dont
                  care about the data loss but we need fast insertion.
                  Currently the database is under simple recovery model.
                  Apart from speed what is the advantage of this model
                  and if we switch to full recovery what will be the
                  performance issues we will be having. Thanks for your
                  reply.

                  with smiles
                  Santhosh

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Veer Ji Wangoo
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Well I feel that recovery simple is ok in your case But just read
                    through BOL you will come tom know loads of things about it ...

                    Also if you are looking for something more on performance aspects I
                    request to go through following aspects

                    1. Resource Requirements.
                    2. Process Flow Chart.
                    3. System Classification.
                    4. CPU and Memory Management.
                    5. Disk Planning.
                    6. Data Storage Subsystem Management.
                    7. Database File Placement.
                    8. Monitoring For capacity management.

                    I have written about ti in one of my old blogs long time back infact
                    Thursday, May 27, 2004 :-):-):-) check it out

                    http://vsql.blogspot.com/2004/05/plan-your-server-before-it-over-flows.h
                    tml

                    I feel I should update it now with some new topics like

                    1. Recovery models and Database Design
                    2. Performance from T SQL developer Perspective (Roji can do that
                    :-):-):-) he is better than best judge)

                    ________________________________

                    Santhosh <san_spy@... <mailto:san_spy%40yahoo.com> > wrote: Hi,
                    We are having a very high transaction server. We dont
                    care about the data loss but we need fast insertion.
                    Currently the database is under simple recovery model.
                    Apart from speed what is the advantage of this model
                    and if we switch to full recovery what will be the
                    performance issues we will be having. Thanks for your
                    reply.

                    with smiles
                    Santhosh

                    http://mail.yahoo.com <http://mail.yahoo.com>