securing sql server on xp machine

  • imformhyd
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2004
      I have sql server developer 2000 on my XP machine, iam on a public
      IP and this makes my system vunreable to attacks, today my ISP
      reported that the sql server on my machine was being used to send
      spam in huge amount, what can i do to stop my machine which is being
      used by spammers etc.. thanks in advance.

      also i have sub-domain hosted on my machine, i have installed
      frontpage extensions, when i try to connect to my frontpage site on
      my machine using the sub-domain name and IP address, it asks for
      frontpage extensions login, iam trying to provide the windows login i
      use to log into my system, but are rejected, how do i set this one.
      also someone have recommendations to secure my IIS too on my XP box..
      please dont ask me to install win2k or 03 as solution.

      can reply me on chat too if possible

      praveenonlyne@...
      praveenonline@...
    • Satya
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2004
        Hi Praveen,
            right now What i can think of here, are the following options -
        1) Very first, if u r on public network - change ur SQL default Port 1433 to other port.
        2) Use Network Address Table(NAT) - which will translate ur public IP to Private IP where end-user will not come to know abt ur public Ip and passed private ip is not exist.
        3) U can install Internet Security & Acceleration Server(ISA) - enable Outgoing port communication but block the incomings.

        For the other FrontPage problem..i have no idea but will try to find.

        Please let me know if you have any questions..

        Regards,
        Satya

        imformhyd <praveenonline@...> wrote:
        I have  sql server developer 2000 on my XP machine, iam on a public
        IP and this makes my system vunreable to attacks, today my ISP
        reported that the sql server on my machine was being used to send
        spam in huge amount, what can i do to stop my machine which is being
        used by spammers etc.. thanks in advance.

        also i have sub-domain hosted on my machine, i have installed
        frontpage extensions, when i try to connect to my frontpage site on
        my machine using the sub-domain name and IP address, it asks for
        frontpage extensions login, iam trying to provide the windows login i
        use to log into my system, but are rejected, how do i set this one.
        also someone have recommendations to secure my IIS too on my XP box..
        please dont ask me to install win2k or 03 as solution.

        can reply me on chat too if possible

        praveenonlyne@...
        praveenonline@...

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • imformhyd
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2004
          --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "imformhyd" <praveenonline@h...> wrote:
          > I have sql server developer 2000 on my XP machine, iam on a public
          > IP and this makes my system vunreable to attacks, today my ISP
          > reported that the sql server on my machine was being used to send
          > spam in huge amount, what can i do to stop my machine which is
          being
          > used by spammers etc.. thanks in advance.
          >
          > also i have sub-domain hosted on my machine, i have installed
          > frontpage extensions, when i try to connect to my frontpage site on
          > my machine using the sub-domain name and IP address, it asks for
          > frontpage extensions login, iam trying to provide the windows login
          > use to log into my system, but are rejected, how do i set this one.
          > also someone have recommendations to secure my IIS too on my XP
          box..
          > please dont ask me to install win2k or 03 as solution.
          >

          > can reply me on chat too if possible
          >
          > praveenonlyne@y...
          > praveenonline@m...

          baghzaad that worked for sql .. waiting for the IIS ..solution.
        • imformhyd
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2004
            thanks .. satya,, will follow

            --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Satya <hisatya@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Praveen,
            > right now What i can think of here, are the following options -
            > 1) Very first, if u r on public network - change ur SQL default
            Port 1433 to other port.
            > 2) Use Network Address Table(NAT) - which will translate ur public
            IP to Private IP where end-user will not come to know abt ur public
            Ip and passed private ip is not exist.
            > 3) U can install Internet Security & Acceleration Server(ISA) -
            enable Outgoing port communication but block the incomings.

            > For the other FrontPage problem..i have no idea but will try to
            find.

            > Please let me know if you have any questions..
            >
            > Regards,
            > Satya
            >
            > imformhyd <praveenonline@h...> wrote:
            > I have sql server developer 2000 on my XP machine, iam on a public
            > IP and this makes my system vunreable to attacks, today my ISP
            > reported that the sql server on my machine was being used to send
            > spam in huge amount, what can i do to stop my machine which is
            being
            > used by spammers etc.. thanks in advance.
            >
            > also i have sub-domain hosted on my machine, i have installed
            > frontpage extensions, when i try to connect to my frontpage site on
            > my machine using the sub-domain name and IP address, it asks for
            > frontpage extensions login, iam trying to provide the windows login
            > use to log into my system, but are rejected, how do i set this one.
            > also someone have recommendations to secure my IIS too on my XP
            box..
            > please dont ask me to install win2k or 03 as solution.
            >

            > can reply me on chat too if possible
            >
            > praveenonlyne@y...
            > praveenonline@m...
            >

            > SqlCon is a special interests group run under the aegis of MUGH -
            http://www.mugh.net

            > http://www.mugh.net/sql

            Service.

          • Satya
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2004
              --------i think u dint receive my earlier reply, so sending it again -------------------
                  right now What i can think of here, are the following options -
              1) Very first, if u r on public network - change ur SQL default Port 1433 to other port.
              2) Use Network Address Table(NAT) - which will translate ur public IP to Private IP where end-user will not come to know abt ur public Ip and passed private ip is not exist.
              3) U can install Internet Security & Acceleration Server(ISA) - enable Outgoing port communication but block the incomings.

              For the other FrontPage problem..i have no idea now but will try to find.

              Please let me know if you have any questions..

              Regards,

              imformhyd <praveenonline@...> wrote:
              --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "imformhyd" <praveenonline@h...> wrote:
              > I have  sql server developer 2000 on my XP machine, iam on a public
              > IP and this makes my system vunreable to attacks, today my ISP
              > reported that the sql server on my machine was being used to send
              > spam in huge amount, what can i do to stop my machine which is
              being
              > used by spammers etc.. thanks in advance.
              >
              > also i have sub-domain hosted on my machine, i have installed
              > frontpage extensions, when i try to connect to my frontpage site on
              > my machine using the sub-domain name and IP address, it asks for
              > frontpage extensions login, iam trying to provide the windows login
              > use to log into my system, but are rejected, how do i set this one.
              > also someone have recommendations to secure my IIS too on my XP
              box..
              > please dont ask me to install win2k or 03 as solution.
              >

              > can reply me on chat too if possible
              >
              > praveenonlyne@y...
              > praveenonline@m...

              baghzaad that worked for sql .. waiting for the IIS ..solution.

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • baghzaad
              Message 6 of 7 , May 5, 2004
                For yr frontpage problem u have to create accounts first on the
                machine where it is installed. These accounts are not windows account
                but accounts that u have created in frontpage. Your initial FrontPage
                passwords will be the same as your initial web server password. I
                think u read the documentation of frontpage extensions well before
                using it. I have also uploaded a file in the files section of SQLCon
                for your reference to advantages and disadvantages of activating
                FrontPage Server Extensions.

                --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "imformhyd" <praveenonline@h...> wrote:
                > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "imformhyd" <praveenonline@h...>
                wrote:
                > > I have sql server developer 2000 on my XP machine, iam on a
                public
                > > IP and this makes my system vunreable to attacks, today my ISP
                > > reported that the sql server on my machine was being used to send
                > > spam in huge amount, what can i do to stop my machine which is
                > being
                > > used by spammers etc.. thanks in advance.
                > >
                > > also i have sub-domain hosted on my machine, i have installed
                > > frontpage extensions, when i try to connect to my frontpage site
                on
                > > my machine using the sub-domain name and IP address, it asks for
                > > frontpage extensions login, iam trying to provide the windows
                login
                > > use to log into my system, but are rejected, how do i set this
                one.
                > > also someone have recommendations to secure my IIS too on my XP
                > box..
                > > please dont ask me to install win2k or 03 as solution.
                > >

                > > can reply me on chat too if possible
                > >
                > > praveenonlyne@y...
                > > praveenonline@m...
                >

                > baghzaad that worked for sql .. waiting for the IIS ..solution.
              • asktech profiles