Re: URGENT : How to use Image Data of SQL server 2000

  • VISHNAT
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31 8:41 PM
      Hi Srinivas

      Though you can store images in sql server in table using image data
      type .

      My Best advice would be is to save path and image name only and
      maintain Images in folders rather than saving the Image in database.

      Reason is its simpler to handle when maintained in folders..Unless
      you have a specific reson would not recommend saving images in
      databases.

      thanks
      Viswanath

      --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "kurella_srinivas"
      <kurella_srinivas@y...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Please ca any one help about how to use the Image Datatype of SQL
      > server 2000.
      >
      > Regards,
      > K.Srinivas
    • Sujoy
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
        Hi Viswanath,

        I too agree that when it comes to performance issue, the method you have suggested will be a better approach.

        But when it comes to backup or purging of the records, the images too should be taken as backups. One finds difficulty in identifying the images when backup needs to be taken.

        I too would be happy to know the process of storing the images and retrieving them from SQL database.

        Thanks & Regards,
        Sujoy

        <kurella_srinivas@y...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Please ca any one help about how to use the Image Datatype of SQL
        > server 2000.
        >
        > Regards,
        > K.Srinivas

        Too much spam in your inbox? Yahoo! Mail gives you the best spam protection for FREE!
        http://in.mail.yahoo.com

      • NandaKishore
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
          Hi

          First of all, if possible, try not to stored images and other binary files in the SQL Server tables, as they slow things down. Instead, store a link (file path) to the file in the tables and let your applications directly access the files. But if you must store these files within SQL Server, use the text/ntext or image datatype columns and consider the following options:
          • SQL Server 7.0 and 2000 come with a utility called textcopy.exe. You can locate this file in the Binn folder under your SQL Server installation folder. Run this file from command prompt, and it will prompt you for required input
          • Use the GetChunk and AppendChunk methods of ADO Field object. MSDN has examples
          • Use the ADO Stream object
          • Use the Bulk Insert Image utility (BII) that ships with SQL Server 2000 (Can be found at \Program Files\Microsoft SQL
            Server\80\Tools\Devtools\Samples\Utils)

          Thanks
          Nanda

          <kurella_srinivas@y...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Please ca any one help about how to use the Image Datatype of SQL
          > server 2000.
          >
          > Regards,
          > K.Srinivas

          Too much spam in your inbox? Yahoo! Mail gives you the best spam protection for FREE!
          http://in.mail.yahoo.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • VISHNAT
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
            Directory backups.Delete images when records are deleted..

            --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Sujoy <sujoykrdas@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Viswanath,
            >
            > I too agree that when it comes to performance issue, the method
            you have suggested will be a better approach.

            > But when it comes to backup or purging of the records, the images
            too should be taken as backups. One finds difficulty in identifying
            the images when backup needs to be taken.

            > I too would be happy to know the process of storing the images and
            retrieving them from SQL database.

            > Thanks & Regards,
            > Sujoy
            >

            > VISHNAT <VISHNAT@G...> wrote:
            >
            > Hi Srinivas
            >
            > Though you can store images in sql server in table using image
            data
            > type .
            >
            > My Best advice would be is to save path and image name only and
            > maintain Images in folders rather than saving the Image in
            database.

            > Reason is its simpler to handle when maintained in folders..Unless
            > you have a specific reson would not recommend saving images in
            > databases.
            >
            > thanks
            > Viswanath
            >

            > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "kurella_srinivas"
            > <kurella_srinivas@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > Please ca any one help about how to use the Image Datatype of
            SQL
            > > server 2000.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > K.Srinivas
            >

            > SqlCon is a special interests group run under the aegis of MUGH -
            http://www.mugh.net
            > http://www.mugh.net/sql
            >
            > Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

            Service.

            > Too much spam in your inbox? Yahoo! Mail gives you the best spam
            protection for FREE!
            > http://in.mail.yahoo.com
          • harsh kumar
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005

              I have checked a procedure performance on Application prog and Query analyzer. I have seen both have different CPU timing, duration timing and read data on same database.

              Please see below details :

               Profiler Report

              Prog Details

              SQL:BatchCompleted     exec getSKUInformation 'Treo','','Specials','','Treotiger'        Internet Information Services                   sa            15(cpu) 1552(read)        0          13(duration)     5280     56         2005-08-05 11:33:58.250

              Details Of Query Analyser

              SQL:BatchCompleted     getSKUInformation 'Treo','','Specials','','Treotiger'

                          SQL Query Analyzer      harsh.k             sa         141(cpu)           2009(read)        0          203(duration)    356       52            2005-08-05 11:34:25.420

              I appreciate for the help

              Thanks

              Harsh Kumar

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Ramesh Karnati

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 5, 2005
                  Hi Vishwanath,

                  Fine I too appreciate your idea.

                  I am working for one of the leading banks and there are 29,000 employees on role and 1000 consultants.

                  All the employees records are maintained in the computer along with their scanned photos. These days the frequency of employee leaving and joining the bank is more.

                  Though the employees leave the organization their details are still maintained as backups and are removed from the OLTP database .
                  Every month on an average if 200 employees are moving out then along with their records their photos too should be removed from the common folder.

                  According to your logic, one has to take backup of the resigned employees records and maintain separate folder for the photos.
                                                   OR
                  A logic need to be written to pick the employee photo from the folder and place it in the folder assigned for the resigned employees. Whenever backups are taken the folder need to be copied directly as backup.

                  Fine. This is what is happening here.

                  I too was looking for the logic by which I can store the images in the database directly.

                  Regards,
                  Sujoy

                  VISHNAT <VISHNAT@...> wrote:

                  Directory backups.Delete images when records are deleted..

                  --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Sujoy <sujoykrdas@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi Viswanath,

                  > I too agree that when it comes to performance issue, the method
                  you have suggested will be a better approach.

                  > But when it comes to backup or purging of the records, the images
                  too should be taken as backups. One finds difficulty in identifying
                  the images when backup needs to be taken.

                  > I too would be happy to know the process of storing the images and
                  retrieving them from SQL database.

                  > Thanks & Regards,
                  > Sujoy

                  > VISHNAT <VISHNAT@G...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Hi Srinivas
                  >
                  > Though you can store images in sql server in table using image
                  data
                  > type .
                  >
                  > My Best advice would be is to save path and image name only  and
                  > maintain Images in folders rather than saving the Image in
                  database.

                  > Reason is its simpler to handle when maintained in folders..Unless
                  > you have a specific reson would not recommend saving images in
                  > databases.
                  >
                  > thanks
                  > Viswanath
                  >

                  > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "kurella_srinivas"
                  > <kurella_srinivas@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi All,
                  > >
                  > > Please ca any one help about how to use the Image Datatype of
                  SQL
                  > > server 2000.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > K.Srinivas
                  >

                  > SqlCon is a special interests group run under the aegis of MUGH -
                  http://www.mugh.net
                  > http://www.mugh.net/sql
                  >
                  > Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

                  Service.

                  >  Too much spam in your inbox? Yahoo! Mail gives you the best spam
                  protection for FREE!
                  > http://in.mail.yahoo.com

                  How much free photo storage do you get? Store your friends n family photos for FREE with Yahoo! Photos.
                  http://in.photos.yahoo.com

                • VISHNAT
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 2005
                    Sujoy

                    The advantage i see in maintaining in folders is with regards to
                    maintainability of databases.the databases maintainance is going to
                    be simple and archiving old data is going to be easy.Besides that
                    compression technique of winzip is better then sql lite speed or
                    any other compression tools when dealing with files.

                    also i have seen numerous cases where multiple copies of databases
                    are maintained for high availability ..in cases such as this you
                    would be going for duplication of data when a simple update of file
                    path could be sufficient

                    so if you ask me id stick with the idea of maintaining in folders
                    rather than databases.

                    regards
                    Viswanath

> [...]
                    > SQL
                    > > > server 2000.
                    > > >
                    > > > Regards,
                    > > > K.Srinivas
                    > >

                    > > SqlCon is a special interests group run under the aegis of MUGH -

                    > http://www.mugh.net
                    > > http://www.mugh.net/sql
                    > >
                    > > Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

                    > Service.
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    > > Too much spam in your inbox? Yahoo! Mail gives you the best
                    spam
                    > protection for FREE!
                    > > http://in.mail.yahoo.com
                    >

                    > SqlCon is a special interests group run under the aegis of MUGH -
                    http://www.mugh.net
                    > http://www.mugh.net/sql
                    >
                    > Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

                    > C programming language Computer programming languages Java
                    programming language The c programming language C programming
                    language Concept of programming language

                    Service.