Transfer data from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2000 continuosly

  • RamKishore
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
      We have data in a Source Server (SQL Server 2000), which is growing at
      the rate of 50MB/min. This should be transferred to destination server
      (SQL Server 2000) at the same rate, continuously. The source server is
      in domain A and destination in domain B, but within the same network.
      The database schemas of source and destination are different. The job
      which does the data transfer should transform and load into the
      destination database schema.

      What is the best approach for implementing this job? We are not able
      to decide from amongst DTS, SQL Scripts with Linked servers and other
      concepts - to handle this load.

      Thanks,
      Ram
    • VISHNAT
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
        Hi Ramki

        My recommendation would be
        1)DTS
        2)Scripts with Linked server

        using DTS you would be able to clearly visualize the transformation
        and you can use stored procedures and scripts,vbscripts as well here
        and scheduling it is simple.This has been developed for this
        particular purpose and its a great tool to learn and use.

        scripts provide more enhanced ability for customization so your
        limits are endless but then again its a start from scratch ..

        as far as the load is concerned if there isnt connectivity issues
        you have smooth going ..

        consider using BCP utility / bulk insert task if you are dealing
        with lots of data

        hth
        viswanath

        --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "RamKishore"
        <ramkishore.charugundla@w...> wrote:
        > We have data in a Source Server (SQL Server 2000), which is
        growing at
        > the rate of 50MB/min. This should be transferred to destination
        server
        > (SQL Server 2000) at the same rate, continuously. The source
        server is
        > in domain A and destination in domain B, but within the same
        network.
        > The database schemas of source and destination are different. The
        job
        > which does the data transfer should transform and load into the
        > destination database schema.
        >
        > What is the best approach for implementing this job? We are not
        able
        > to decide from amongst DTS, SQL Scripts with Linked servers and
        other
        > concepts - to handle this load.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ram
      • Santhosh
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
          hi Vishnat,
          I dont think DTS will work with this much amount of
          data and either all the traditional methods like bcp..
          I would recommend him to go for transactional
          replication.. i mean transaction log replication or
          log shipping.. that will be a lil bit faster and go
          for pull subscription rather push subscription since
          push subscription will create some more work load in
          ur production server.

          --- VISHNAT <VISHNAT@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ramki
          >
          > My recommendation would be
          > 1)DTS
          > 2)Scripts with Linked server
          >
          > using DTS you would be able to clearly visualize the
          > transformation
          > and you can use stored procedures and
          > scripts,vbscripts as well here
          > and scheduling it is simple.This has been developed
          > for this
          > particular purpose and its a great tool to learn and
          > use.
          >
          > scripts provide more enhanced ability for
          > customization so your
          > limits are endless but then again its a start from
          > scratch ..
          >
          > as far as the load is concerned if there isnt
          > connectivity issues
          > you have smooth going ..
          >
          > consider using BCP utility / bulk insert task if you
          > are dealing
          > with lots of data
          >
          > hth
          > viswanath
          >

          > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "RamKishore"
          > <ramkishore.charugundla@w...> wrote:
          > > We have data in a Source Server (SQL Server 2000),
          > which is
          > growing at
          > > the rate of 50MB/min. This should be transferred
          > to destination
          > server
          > > (SQL Server 2000) at the same rate, continuously.
          > The source
          > server is
          > > in domain A and destination in domain B, but
          > within the same
          > network.
          > > The database schemas of source and destination are
          > different. The
          > job
          > > which does the data transfer should transform and
          > load into the
          > > destination database schema.
          > >
          > > What is the best approach for implementing this
          > job? We are not
          > able
          > > to decide from amongst DTS, SQL Scripts with
          > Linked servers and
          > other
          > > concepts - to handle this load.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Ram

          With Smiles
          Santhosh S.J.
          SQL Server DBA
          TCS-Worldspan
          Atlanta G.A.
          Ph: 770-563-6651(W),770-984-0593
          Visit http://www.bhookh.com
          I think, therefore I am dangerous

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • VISHNAT
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
            Hi Santosh

            In most Data migration projects i have seen DTS or BCP are the
            choices one ends up to DTS is an architecture built to handle good
            amount of data..it is basically definition of set of of task you
            can create bulk insert task using by which you could handle more
            data faster..

            In most of the high scaled applications BCP has been the best way in
            which data is migrated..

            Using Replication and customizing stored procedure and applying
            business rules before the data enters subscriber is a pain ...

            Log Shipping u cannot apply business rules ..this is for high
            availability ..

            Thanks
            Viswanath

          • jomy_j_tom
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
              Hi Ramki
              Can you let me know the following so that I might be able to help you.
              1. Is the database in both the domains the same?
              2. Do you want all the data in all the tables to be moved to the
              other server.

              John

            • ramkishore.charugundla@wipro.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
                [mugh-sqlcon] Re: Transfer data from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2000 continuosly
                Thanks guys.

                No, the databases are accross domains.
                There will be many other tables on the source. But we need to transfer data from One table only to the destination. While dumping we need to do transformations like getting the id of name (for eg) from a master table and populate id along with name etc.

                I heard that DTS cannot take much load that too this job should be running very frequently, may be in secnds span. Am i correct?

                Regards,
                Ramki

                Can you let me know the following so that I might be able to help you.
                1. Is the database in both the domains the same?
                2. Do you want all the data in all the tables to be moved to the
                other server.

                John
                --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "VISHNAT" <VISHNAT@G...> wrote:

                > Hi Ramki
                >
                > My
                recommendation would be
                > 1)DTS
                > 2)Scripts with Linked
                server

                > using DTS you would be able to clearly visualize the
                transformation
                > and you can use stored procedures and scripts,vbscripts
                as well
                here
                > and scheduling it is simple.This has been developed for
                this
                > particular purpose and its a great tool to learn and
                use.

                > scripts provide more enhanced ability for customization so
                your
                > limits are endless but then again its a start from scratch
                ..

                > as far as the load is concerned if there isnt connectivity
                issues
                > you have smooth going ..
                >
                > consider using BCP
                utility / bulk insert task if you are dealing
                > with lots of
                data

                wrote:
                > > We have data in a Source Server (SQL Server 2000), which
                is
                > growing at
                > > the rate of 50MB/min. This should be
                transferred to destination
                > server
                > > (SQL Server 2000) at the
                same rate, continuously. The source
                > server is
                > > in domain A
                and destination in domain B, but within the same
                > network.

                The database schemas of source and destination are different. The

                job
                > > which does the data transfer should transform and load into
                the
                > > destination database schema.
                > >
                > > What is
                the best approach for implementing this job? We are not
                > able
                > > to decide from amongst DTS, SQL Scripts with Linked servers and

                other
                > > concepts - to handle this load.

                Thanks,
                > > Ram