Re: [mugh-sqlcon] validate data against database structure ...How??

  • Ramesh Karnati
    Message 1 of 13 , May 31, 2005
      Hi There,

      I am using a tool for this and is very powerful. Its Redgate SQL Compare. Check this at http://www.red-gate.com/sql/summary.htm. Try the free trail.

      Thanks,
      Karnati.

      Ashwin Rao <all_ids_chosen@...> wrote:
      There's a nice SP that does DB comparison (both data
      and structure) available at:

      http://www.sql-server-performance.com/vg_database_comparison_sp.asp

      source code for the SP is provided which can be
      tweaked as needed...

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • himanshu sinha
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
        Hi I am trying to BCP some data in the txt file

        But when i run the query below

        bcp "SELECT au_fname, au_lname FROM pubs..authors ORDER BY au_lname" queryout Authors.txt -c -ULogin -PPassword

        I am getting error as :

        Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
        Line 1: Incorrect syntax near 'queryout'.
        Please help

        wrote:
        > Hi
        >

        > You can have a inner join between
        source.information_schema.columns where table_name='X' and
        > target.information_schema.tables where table_name ='X'. If the
        total recordcount is less than the
        > number of fields there is a mismatch. Also this view contain the
        field specific details like
        > length , data_type etc. You put these also on join as a condition.
        >
        > Only thing is the columns should have the same name or should have
        the same ordinal position so
        > that the join is possible
        >

        > Cheers
        >
        > Praveen v
        >

        > --- sqlindia <sqlindia@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi Folks
        > >
        > > I have situation.. where I have to do
        > >
        > > - Validate Data from target Database against source Database
        > >   Structure before upgrade target database from source database.
        > >
        > > I would like have advise on it that what would be the ideal
        method
        > > OR
        > > how can i achieve this ??
        > >

        > > Thanx in advance

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

        Regards,
        Himanshu Kumar Sinha

        MCP
        Microsoft Corporation
        Office: +91 (40) 5547 3617
        Mobile: +91 9440871180
        Email: v-hsinha@...

        Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you fail to focus on your goal

        Discover Yahoo!

      • mohan mareboina
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
          It is working fine at my desktop. Not able to repro
          the error.

          --Jagan

        • mohan mareboina
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
            Hi All,

            One of my friends having folowing problem:

            Server A: OS: Win2k Advanced, SQL:2k (Ent) uses disk
            station. And right now running out of space.
            They brought SAN newly and some other serverB uses it.

            He wants to move some of the files to SAN by with out
            changing the existing architecture?

            Problem in oher words: Can he access database which is
            on A where as his files are on SAN which connected to
            server B?

            Please let me know any one has clue.

            Regards,
            Jacks
          • mohan mareboina
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
              Hi Friends,

              I have a surprise experience today would like to share
              with everyone of you for further help.

              I have an application role called "MYWSAppRole". I
              want to add memebers to that using Query analyzer.
              Then I used following command:

              EXEC SP_ADDROLEMEMBER 'MYWSAppRole', 'Jacks'

              bombshell Result:

              Server: Msg 15014, Level 16, State 1, Procedure
              sp_addrolemember, Line 37
              The role 'MYWSAppRole' does not exist in the current
              database.

              But the role exists in database.

              select Name from sysusers where name ='MYWSAppRole'
              --------
              NovocainWSAppRole

              Please let me know how can I add the users to app role
              programatically?

              ( Note: I know how to add users using EM.)

              I am using SQL 2k

              Regards,
              Jacks
            • vijayasekar shanmughasundharaj
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2005
                hi

                u can try this by deleteing the particular "Jacks" from the Database
                where we have user details. ie sysusers or syslogin tables and again
                create the user with that role.
                U can try this method in an test database and then u can move to your
                original database.incase any new ideas pls mail me too.

                bye

                with regards
                vijayasekar.s

                On 6/4/05, mohan mareboina <govinda_junior@...> wrote:
                > Hi Friends,
                >
                > I have a surprise experience today would like to share
                > with everyone of you for further help.
                >
                > I have an application role called "MYWSAppRole". I
                > want to add memebers to that using Query analyzer.
                > Then I used following command:
                >
                > EXEC SP_ADDROLEMEMBER 'MYWSAppRole', 'Jacks'
                >
                > bombshell Result:
                >
                > Server: Msg 15014, Level 16, State 1, Procedure
                > sp_addrolemember, Line 37
                > The role 'MYWSAppRole' does not exist in the current
                > database.
                >
                > But the role exists in database.
                >
                > select Name from sysusers where name ='MYWSAppRole'
                > --------
                > NovocainWSAppRole
                >
                > Please let me know how can I add the users to app role
                > programatically?
                >
                > ( Note: I know how to add users using EM.)
                >

                > I am using SQL 2k
                >
                > Regards,
                > Jacks
                >

                > SqlCon is a special interests group run under the aegis of MUGH - http://www.mugh.net
                > http://www.mugh.net/sql
                >
                > Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • mohan mareboina
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4, 2005
                  Sorry for confusion,

                  It is not possible to add users to approle Which is a
                  special kind. I was even not able t add users to
                  approle using EM.

                  Please ignore this mail.

                  Regards,
                  Jacks

                  --- mohan mareboina <govinda_junior@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Friends,
                  >
                  > I have a surprise experience today would like to
                  > share
                  > with everyone of you for further help.
                  >
                  > I have an application role called "MYWSAppRole". I
                  > want to add memebers to that using Query analyzer.
                  > Then I used following command:
                  >
                  > EXEC SP_ADDROLEMEMBER 'MYWSAppRole', 'Jacks'
                  >
                  > bombshell Result:
                  >
                  > Server: Msg 15014, Level 16, State 1, Procedure
                  > sp_addrolemember, Line 37
                  > The role 'MYWSAppRole' does not exist in the current
                  > database.
                  >
                  > But the role exists in database.
                  >
                  > select Name from sysusers where name ='MYWSAppRole'
                  > --------
                  > NovocainWSAppRole
                  >
                  > Please let me know how can I add the users to app
                  > role
                  > programatically?
                  >
                  > ( Note: I know how to add users using EM.)
                  >

                  > I am using SQL 2k
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Jacks

                • skchandra_dba
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 4, 2005
                    Hi Jacks,

                    Application role has to be treated as different than 'SQL standard
                    role'.

                    From BOL:

                    Application roles do not have members; therefore, the user does not
                    have to be added to the application role.

                    When an application role is activated, the permissions usually
                    associated with the user's connection that activated the application
                    role are ignored. The user's connection gains the permissions
                    associated with the application role for the database in which the
                    application role is defined. The user's connection can gain access to
                    another database only through permissions granted to the guest user
                    account in that database. Therefore, if the guest user account does
                    not exist in a database, the connection cannot gain access to that
                    database.

                    After an application role is activated with sp_setapprole, the role
                    cannot be deactivated in the current database until the user
                    disconnects from SQL Server.

                    Also refer the following article for clear explanation
                    http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=864

                    Thanks and regards,
                    SK Chandra

                    --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, mohan mareboina <govinda_junior@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hi Friends,
                    >
                    > I have a surprise experience today would like to share
                    > with everyone of you for further help.
                    >
                    > I have an application role called "MYWSAppRole". I
                    > want to add memebers to that using Query analyzer.
                    > Then I used following command:
                    >
                    > EXEC SP_ADDROLEMEMBER 'MYWSAppRole', 'Jacks'
                    >
                    > bombshell Result:
                    >
                    > Server: Msg 15014, Level 16, State 1, Procedure
                    > sp_addrolemember, Line 37
                    > The role 'MYWSAppRole' does not exist in the current
                    > database.
                    >
                    > But the role exists in database.
                    >
                    > select Name from sysusers where name ='MYWSAppRole'
                    > --------
                    > NovocainWSAppRole
                    >
                    > Please let me know how can I add the users to app role
                    > programatically?
                    >
                    > ( Note: I know how to add users using EM.)
                    >

                    > I am using SQL 2k
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Jacks
                  • sonny singh
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 9, 2005
                      Hi

                      check this article out..

                      I think these scripts and example will be more than enough to solve your problem..

                      good luck

                      wrote:
                      > Hi
                      >

                      > You can have a inner join between
                      source.information_schema.columns where table_name='X' and
                      > target.information_schema.tables where table_name ='X'. If the
                      total recordcount is less than the
                      > number of fields there is a mismatch. Also this view contain the
                      field specific details like
                      > length , data_type etc. You put these also on join as a condition.
                      >
                      > Only thing is the columns should have the same name or should have
                      the same ordinal position so
                      > that the join is possible
                      >

                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Praveen v
                      >

                      > --- sqlindia <sqlindia@y...> wrote:
                      > > Hi Folks
                      > >
                      > > I have situation.. where I have to do
                      > >
                      > > - Validate Data from target Database against source Database
                      > >   Structure before upgrade target database from source database.
                      > >
                      > > I would like have advise on it that what would be the ideal
                      method
                      > > OR
                      > > how can i achieve this ??
                      > >

                      > > Thanx in advance

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

                      Regards,
                      Himanshu Kumar Sinha

                      MCP
                      Microsoft Corporation
                      Office: +91 (40) 5547 3617
                      Mobile: +91 9440871180
                      Email: v-hsinha@...

                      Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you fail to focus on your goal

                      Discover Yahoo!

                      Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

                      How much free photo storage do you get? Store your friends n family photos for FREE with Yahoo! Photos.
                      http://in.photos.yahoo.com

                    • Biswajit Das
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 9, 2005
                        You forgot mention the server name and database name

                        wrote:
                        > Hi
                        >

                        > You can have a inner join between
                        source.information_schema.columns where table_name='X' and
                        > target.information_schema.tables where table_name ='X'. If the
                        total recordcount is less than the
                        > number of fields there is a mismatch. Also this view contain the
                        field specific details like
                        > length , data_type etc. You put these also on join as a condition.
                        >
                        > Only thing is the columns should have the same name or should have
                        the same ordinal position so
                        > that the join is possible
                        >

                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Praveen v
                        >

                        > --- sqlindia <sqlindia@y...> wrote:
                        > > Hi Folks
                        > >
                        > > I have situation.. where I have to do
                        > >
                        > > - Validate Data from target Database against source Database
                        > >   Structure before upgrade target database from source database.
                        > >
                        > > I would like have advise on it that what would be the ideal
                        method
                        > > OR
                        > > how can i achieve this ??
                        > >

                        > > Thanx in advance

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

                        Regards,
                        Himanshu Kumar Sinha

                        MCP
                        Microsoft Corporation
                        Office: +91 (40) 5547 3617
                        Mobile: +91 9440871180
                        Email: v-hsinha@...

                        Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you fail to focus on your goal

                        Discover Yahoo!

                        Visit http://www.mugh.net/dnug to join .NET User Group.

                        Biswajit Das
                        System Analyst(05)