6449Re: Design a table for Lookup in sql server 2008

  • sree
    Jun 4, 2009
      Sorry for the late reply,

      We are using this table when we check with source data, like
      take status type example , source is 'ACTIVE' and Target is 'AC'
      WHEN [STATUS] = 'ACTIVE' THEN 'AC'... (1 EXAMPLE)
      some cases
      WHEN [STATUS] = 'ACTIVE' THEN 1 ... (2 EXAMPLE)
      In that case we are going to capture these values.

      Thanks in advance

      Regards,
      Vemuri

      --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "vijaya_krishna_birju" <vijaya_krishna_birju@...> wrote:

      > Hi Vemuri,
      > what is the access pattern of that table? i.e When you query this table what kind of queries you are going to use?
      > Thanks -- Vijaya Kadiyala
      > www.DotNetVJ.com
      >
      > --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, "sree" <vemuri_sree@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Team,
      > > I am facing some problems on designing the look up table.
      > >
      > > We are going to move data by using lookup table and for that I have designed few columns based on the data like this..
      > >
      > > ID,tablename,S_char, S_int, T_int, T_char, T_bit
      > >
      > > When I insert my data to corresponding fields with 4K rows, rest of the columns are having NULL values. Is there any issue with performance wise or any otherÂ…
      > >
      > > Instead of that can I go with 2 columns one is source and 2nd one is target value with "nvarchar" data types.
      > >
      > > Which approach is good and how best I can go with that. Is it required any check constraint for the 2nd approach?
      > >
      > > Please help me in that and one more we don't have any relationship with this table, it's an independent table.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance.
      > >
      > > Vemuri

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic