6084Re: MUGH-SQLCON Re: command to read fronm ldf file which transactions were done in sql 2000

  • Kuldeep Chauhan
    May 11, 2008
      Bingoe.....so this is your requirement.....in SQL Server 2000 there are three straight forward ways to do this but both will have some affect on performance.

      1. Enable C2 Auditing (don't audit application log), this will track most server wide events like login / logoff, object level access. As this will track server wide event this will definitely cost on performance, so plan to use it carefully.

      2. Create Server side traces, with this you can instruct SQL Server that which event category you want to audit plus you can filter your criteria also. The big advantage of this over C2 Audit is that you can tweak it as per your requirements but C2 Audit will log all. To know more about both the above approaches you can refer to SQL Server 2000 Auditing article at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/sqlserver/sql2kaud.mspx

      3. Create trigger on your table that can monitor insert / update / delete, in this way you can keep track of who did what operation on your table. Again as this is a trigger based approach this will also cost a little on performance. (If you plan to upgrade to SQL Server 2005 in near future you can also take advantage of DDL triggers to audit events at database levels, this feature is not present in SQL Server 2000).

      Thanks,
      Kuldeep

      kanchan verma <kanchanvrm@...> wrote:
      Exactly we would like to know who has acessed our database and viewed the result through rollnumber.....

      lets say table name is xyz then who has acessed the table

      regards

      Kuldeep Chauhan <mrkuldeepchauhan@...> wrote:
      Reading transaction log is not a general practice otherwise Microsoft would have already provided a built in tool for this, though there are tools provided by ISV's but the point here is what is exact requirement? Until and unless we are clear with a problem scenario our recommendations might go wrong.

      Now coming to CDC, this is a feature in SQL Server 2008 and as we know this product is still under CTP and not released to enterprise customers, RTM release is planned some time in Q4, 2008.
      CDC is mainly focused for enterprise customers for data warehouse ETL scenarios where you expect change in dimensions of Type-2 and Type-3 or data during ETL, please read http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/2/8b22991f-3f2f-4cea-b2ba-55c190841145/SQL2008IntroDW.docx and see what Gopal Ashok (Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 CDC group), Sunil Agarwal, T.K. Anand (Analysis Services Lead PjM) says. CDC can be used in other vital scenarios but whatever you have described below can be also achieved with AUDITING features in SQL Server 2008 up to an extent, but again it is of no use for them who are really not using that product version.

      What I am trying to simply say is that we should always first understand the product used then problem scenario and then resolution steps if we can give.

      Thanks,
      Kuldeep

      Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      What i meant to say was, why he or she need to read the TL? It may be
      for auditing / or to find malpractice or to get the data back which
      was wrongly updated. If this is the requirement, if you configure CDC
      you have log who and what time what transaction and what was the data
      changed (history) every thing available in the log table. Its may
      not help you to read TL directly but it solve your purpose.

      I hope it make sense

      thanks

      Madhu

      --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Kuldeep Chauhan <mrkuldeepchauhan@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Madhu,
      >
      > How CDC will be helpful in Kanchan's case when we really don't
      know what and why she need to read log files?

      > Kanchan,
      >
      > Tell us the exact requirements you have to read data from log
      file? We may be able to help you.

      > Thanks,
      > Kuldeep
      >
      > Madhu K Nair <madhuotp@...> wrote:
      > No you cant get useful information from TL using TSQL
      Command. There
      > are few undocumented dbcc command but it will not help much. As
      > already mentioned there are third party tool which does this. In
      SQL