175Re: [mugh-sqlcon] securing sql server on xp machine

  • imformhyd
    May 4, 2004
      thanks .. satya,, will follow

      --- In sqlcon@yahoogroups.com, Satya <hisatya@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Praveen,
      > right now What i can think of here, are the following options -
      > 1) Very first, if u r on public network - change ur SQL default
      Port 1433 to other port.
      > 2) Use Network Address Table(NAT) - which will translate ur public
      IP to Private IP where end-user will not come to know abt ur public
      Ip and passed private ip is not exist.
      > 3) U can install Internet Security & Acceleration Server(ISA) -
      enable Outgoing port communication but block the incomings.

      > For the other FrontPage problem..i have no idea but will try to
      find.

      > Please let me know if you have any questions..
      >
      > Regards,
      > Satya
      >
      > imformhyd <praveenonline@h...> wrote:
      > I have sql server developer 2000 on my XP machine, iam on a public
      > IP and this makes my system vunreable to attacks, today my ISP
      > reported that the sql server on my machine was being used to send
      > spam in huge amount, what can i do to stop my machine which is
      being
      > used by spammers etc.. thanks in advance.
      >
      > also i have sub-domain hosted on my machine, i have installed
      > frontpage extensions, when i try to connect to my frontpage site on
      > my machine using the sub-domain name and IP address, it asks for
      > frontpage extensions login, iam trying to provide the windows login
      > use to log into my system, but are rejected, how do i set this one.
      > also someone have recommendations to secure my IIS too on my XP
      box..
      > please dont ask me to install win2k or 03 as solution.
      >

      > can reply me on chat too if possible
      >
      > praveenonlyne@y...
      > praveenonline@m...
      >

      > SqlCon is a special interests group run under the aegis of MUGH -
      http://www.mugh.net

      > http://www.mugh.net/sql

      Service.