Re: [sqa_bangladesh] Re: I want to attend professional examination about Testing

  • selim.mia@bjitgroup.com
    Message 1 of 59 , Sep 27, 2008
      Hi Sajjad,

      What happened with Tahmid, it is really unfortunate and unethical. I am
      feeling bad on it. But i am strongly oppose your word 'propaganda' about
      certification.

      Best regards,
      Selim

    • Sajjadul Hakim
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 11, 2008
        Hi Monirul,

        Find my comments below:

        > We know every certification has a syllabus and the syllabus covers some
        > predefined topics. Before going for a particular certification, sometimes we
        > can get the syllabus and topics of that certification.

        Unfortunately, neither QAI not ISTQB opens their "Body of Knowledge",
        which is their syllabus. They only list out their table of contents
        and a few lines of description. That is pretty pathetic. You need to
        understand that certification is a business. They did not setup this
        business for giving out their syllabus for free :)

        On the other hand, BBST course syllabus is online, and in fact the
        whole course is FREE. That makes it easy for you to judge its
        effectiveness and its intentions.

        > If the syllabus is
        > back dated then we should not go for it. We can search for some other
        > renowned institutions whose syllabuses are more updated.

        All popular certification syllabus are back dated and do not even
        apply to the agile approaches of software development that is so
        prevalent nowadays, especially in BD. It even gives a very shallow
        explanation on Exploratory Testing. The most up-to-date syllabus on
        software testing is the BBST course, that is FREE and have video
        lectures that demonstrate testing skills:
        http://testingeducation.org/BBST/index.html

        >Definitely
        > certification does not ensure about your quality, skill or your merit. But
        > it gives a synopsis about you.

        It gives a synopsis about you? No it does not. It only tells everyone
        else that you are able to answer their multiple choice or essay
        questions, the way THEY wanted you to answer them. How can that ever
        be an outline of you, who probably has a lot more knowledge and
        testing skills.

        > Who needs certification?
        >
        > 1. You are a fresher. You are going door to door for a job. Wherever
        > you go, they ask for a certification. Sometimes it is mentioned in job
        > circular "Certified ….. will get preference". You failed to satisfy the
        > employer by your ability, skill, talent or aptitude. Then you need a
        > certification.

        Which country are you talking about? I haven't heard that in BD. The
        only morons I heard of were rejecting candidates based on if the
        candidates ever heard of ISTQB certifications:

        Now for those in other countries who actually ask for freshers who are
        certified. They probably don't know how to interview. They probably
        don't have skilled testers who can conduct the interviews. They
        probably don't have skilled testers who can build your testing skills.
        They probably don't know about the enormous demerits of
        certifications. Would freshers who really have the ambition to be
        great at testing, want to join these companies that prefer certified
        people over smarter people.

        Testing interviews are tough, and there are no shortcuts to selecting
        the best candidate. Here is how I conduct the interviews (read
        interviews):

        Do you know that in the programming teams, the intelligent and
        successful people I know do not want to hire certified candidates? If
        a resume has a certified label, they sometimes are really tempted to
        leave it out. They had a lot of bad experiences with certified
        candidates (which is pretty obvious). Someone was telling me a few
        days back that programming certifications in BD is an all time low,
        and people only consider that for H1B :) I am glad the project
        managers and senior programmers of BD are smarter, and created this
        trend of discouraging certifications. I have confidence that the test
        managers and senior testers will do the same, eventually.

        Most of the senior testers and test managers (and managers) I know are
        encouraging testing certifications without analyzing certifications in
        detail, without being certified themselves, or have interviewed very
        very few or no certified testers. They probably think that
        certification is the answer to the testing problems of BD. Hope they
        get enlightened like the rest of the software development professions
        in BD.

        I am very proud of the BD software professionals. They just refuse to be fooled.

        > 2. You are experienced. But you are looking for a better job. And you
        > are observing that companies are giving values more to them who have
        > certifications as a plus point. Then you need certification to get a better
        > job.

        Again...Which country are you talking about? I haven't heard that in
        BD. The only morons I heard of were rejecting candidates based on if
        the candidates ever heard ISTQB certifications:

        Here are some questions I ask experienced testers who are not
        certified. Would you really want to work for a company whose HR will
        give you attention for your certification, and will not consider you
        (or consider you over a certified candidate) even if you just show
        your experience as a tester? Do you really think they would value your
        testing skills once you are hired? Because to them, you would probably
        be just a commodity (i.e. just another certificate holder).

        One certified tester and advocate of certification, told me his ethics
        would not support this kind of consideration.

        I understand that sometimes a very well paying company (not in BD) may
        be preferring certified candidates. But would you just want to join a
        company just for the money, whose ideals you do not believe in. That
        would not be your only opportunity, because there are countless other
        companies who do not prefer certified candidates. You will probably
        have more job satisfaction their, because they will be respecting your
        skills and not your certification.

        > 3. You are not a self learner. You do not study if someone doesn't
        > tell you read but you want to learn something. That means you need always a
        > guide to teach you. Then you can go for education-based certification not
        > exam based.

        This is a silly thing to say. He is a self learner, and yet he does
        not study if someone doesn't tell him to read, and yet he wants to
        learn. In reality, he is not a self learner, and so don't give him the
        credit. Please read:

        > 4. Your company wants to see you certified because they are thinking
        > they will get more work/money by showing this to client. Then you must do
        > certification if you do not want to lose the job.

        Since when did clients or company management know better about
        software development than the practitioners. You start buying into all
        the demands of ignorant clients and management and you will get into
        trouble. It is our job to make the clients and management understand
        that their demands are baseless. If they do not understand, then we
        should look elsewhere, unless we are just in it for the money. The
        client wants a solutions to their problems, and if you can convince
        them that there are better ways to do it, then the intelligent among
        them will agree. Similarly for management.

        Consider this case for the programming teams. The successful and
        intelligent project managers I know, will not agree to a client or
        management who demands that all their programmers need to be
        certified. They are experienced enough to know better and will try to
        convince the clients otherwise, or stay away from that client or
        company.

        > 5. There are some people always who love to collect certificates. If
        > you fall in that category then you can take another certification no matter
        > what's the subject is.

        What a SILLY hobby. I personally would stay away from them.

        > Who does not need certification?

        When reading this part of your post, it made me realize that you are
        intelligent and probably made up all the points above for being
        certified just for the sake of it :)

        > 4. Certification can add some values to our career. This is one of
        > the reasons for which some of us try for it. But if you are in such a
        > situation that you are already honorable, valuable and famous in your field
        > then you do not need it.

        No one needs certificaiton, and I mentioned exactly why in my previous posts :)

        > 5. Who certified them who started certification first? Where the
        > starter did not need certification why are you interested?

        Testing certification is a very profitable business, that is
        flourishing because of the ignorance of people who promote them. The
        certifiers would not want people to get smarter because that would
        hurt their revenue. I for one do not want to make these business men
        rich by feeding on naive individuals. Thanks.