TERM: esvielar

  • Carol Shaw
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hola colisteros,

      ¿Alguien sabe el significado de la palabra "esvielar"? Aparece en un
      texto de Puerto Rico, donde dice, "A uno de los vehículos se le
      esvieló el motor." Lo encuentro en Google, pero sin definición.

      Agradeceré eternamente cualquier ayudita que me puedan dar.

      ¡Gracias!
      -Carol

      listeningbetweenthelines.blogspot.com
    • Deana Smalley
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
        Podría ser desbielar, de biela connecting rod. Threw a rod?

        Deana

        At 07:47 PM 9/1/2010, you wrote:

        >Hola colisteros,
        >
        >¿Alguien sabe el significado de la palabra "esvielar"? Aparece en un
        >texto de Puerto Rico, donde dice, "A uno de los vehículos se le
        >esvieló el motor." Lo encuentro en Google, pero sin definición.
        >
        >Agradeceré eternamente cualquier ayudita que me puedan dar.
        >
        >¡Gracias!
        >-Carol

        >listeningbetweenthelines.blogspot.com

      • Robert and Susana Haake
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
          At 07:47 PM 9/1/2010, Carol Shore wrote:
          >¿Alguien sabe el significado de la palabra "esvielar"? Aparece en un
          >texto de Puerto Rico, donde dice, "A uno de los vehículos se le
          >esvieló el motor." Lo encuentro en Google, pero sin definición.

          Hi Carol,

          This is from ProZ:
          http://www.proz.com/kudoz/spanish_to_english/mechanics_mech_engineering/808656-desvielar.html
          desbielarse: to throw a rod

          http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=904620
          "When an engine is low on oil, the connecting rod bearings can overheat and
          wear excessively causing the rod to break free and go through the head. If
          there is a sudden loss of oil, the engine can overheat - oil supplies 60%
          of engine cooling - causing the engine to seize." Rather than saying "throw
          a rod", [a senior member] would say "burn out the engine" or "blow the engine."

          Best regards,
          Susana
        • Carol Shaw
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
            On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Robert and Susana Haake
            <haakers@...>wrote:

            > At 07:47 PM 9/1/2010, Carol Shore wrote:
            > >¿Alguien sabe el significado de la palabra "esvielar"? Aparece en un
            > >texto de Puerto Rico, donde dice, "A uno de los vehículos se le
            > >esvieló el motor." Lo encuentro en Google, pero sin definición.
            >
            > Hi Carol,
            >
            > This is from ProZ:
            >
            > http://www.proz.com/kudoz/spanish_to_english/mechanics_mech_engineering/808656-desvielar.html
            > desbielarse: to throw a rod
            >
            > http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=904620
            > "When an engine is low on oil, the connecting rod bearings can overheat and
            >
            > wear excessively causing the rod to break free and go through the head. If
            > there is a sudden loss of oil, the engine can overheat - oil supplies 60%
            > of engine cooling - causing the engine to seize." Rather than saying "throw
            >
            > a rod", [a senior member] would say "burn out the engine" or "blow the
            > engine."
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Susana
            >
            > __

            Thanks, Susana! I tried all sorts of alternative spellings
            "esbielar....esvihelar..." but didn't think to stick a "d" on the front!

            That makes absolute sense.

            ¡Muchisimísmas gracias! I'm off to finish up that translation.

            Cheers,
            -cs