ES>EN: Grabado, Baños y Acondicionado

  • Gerard Michael Burns
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      I am out of my field here:

      A medical equipment manufacturer explains that workers in certain operations
      do not require certain qualifications:

      "No se incluyen operaciones en Almac�n de Materia Prima, Grabado, Ba�os y
      Acondicionado."

      I believe that the pieces being processed are usually metallic pieces for
      medical implants. The raw materials warehouse/storage is obvious, and I
      suspect "grabado" is simply "engraving", but I can only guess that the
      "ba�os" (baths) are for adding a coating of some kind, and that
      "acondicionado" (conditioning) might involve post-manufacture tempering or
      the like (although it could also be something else). Additionally, I really
      don't know what terms would be used for the departments of a manufacturer,
      and I am having trouble locating the terminology (finding lots of
      interesting distractions on the way, though).

      So:
      1) Can some knowledgeable person confirm or correct my beliefs about the
      meanings?
      AND
      2) Does anyone know what such departments would normally be called by an
      industry source?

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      Michael Burns
    • Steven Marzuola
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        When I lived in Venezuela, I had some experience in an industrial
        chrome plating plant. It's not the same as decorative chrome-nickel
        plating, such as motorcycle exhaust pipes, car bumpers, etc.

        Your text probably describing some sort of electroplating work,
        although it gives no clue as to the plating material. It's probably
        not chrome; maybe gold, silver, or "electroless" nickel plating. Or
        something completely different.

        "Baños" are simply tanks, in English

        "Grabado" is most likely "etching". In the plating business, this is a
        preliminary treatment to prepare the metal surface, which improves
        adhesion of the metal applied during later steps.

        "Acondicionamiento" could refer to any of several post-plating steps,
        that are intended to halt the plating process, neutralize the acid, or
        improve the final finish. I found the word "conditioning" in several
        pages on the subject.

        You might try this Google search string for more information:

        steps chrome plating electroless nickel etching

        Steven

        --- In sptranslators@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard Michael Burns"

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2008

          Steven Marzuola wrote:
          > When I lived in Venezuela, I had some experience in an industrial
          > chrome plating plant. It's not the same as decorative chrome-nickel
          > plating, such as motorcycle exhaust pipes, car bumpers, etc.

          > "Grabado" is most likely "etching". In the plating business, this is a
          > preliminary treatment to prepare the metal surface, which improves
          > adhesion of the metal applied during later steps.

          I have found confirmation of "etching" related to my text source (medical
          prosthesis manufacture). I have also found general confirmation of
          "conditioning". I can't find "baths" used in any kind of related context,
          but it would be hard to complain about it as a translation for "ba�os".

          Thank you very much!

          Michael Burns