Re: [sptranslators] Es

  • Daryl Collard
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
      > ... this kind of language has been obsolete in English for
      > many, many years.

      If the letter Julio Castillo is translating is from the general public
      (including a company or organization), then I agree that the text
      should be rendered in standard business English.

      However, it's worth noting that if the letter is being sent by another
      ambassador, or by a government, or by a diplomatic body such as the
      United Nations or the Organization of American States, then the
      standard usage in English is to adhere to the full diplomatic protocol
      for such correspondence, even though it may seem unduly flowery and
      perhaps outdated to those who are not accustomed to it.

      - Daryl

      Posted by: "Joss Heywood" jossheywood@... jossheywood
      Date: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:59 am ((PDT))

      On 6/30/07, Julio Castillo <julio_oscar2004@...> wrote:

      > Hola a todos,
      >
      > Estoy traduciendo una carta al inglés dirigida a un Embajador de Estados Unidos y la frase arriba indicada la he encontrado en el sgte. contexto: "***ocurro por ante vuestra excelencia*** para expresarle mi respetuoso saludo y apelar por ante la investidura diplomática que posee con la finalidad de...."
      >
      > Mi intento:
      > I turn to you excellency

      If this letter is to a modern-day US ambassador, I would cut all this
      out and put

      "Dear Mr. Ambassador

      I would like to ask you ...." or something similar.

      If, but only if, it's a translation of an 18th century letter, then
      you might use something like:

      "I present myself before your excellency ... etc."

      but this kind of language has been obsolete in English for many, many years.

      Joss
      --
      Joss Heywood

      English Language Services, Córdoba, Argentina
      Spanish-English Translations / Traducciones Castellano-Inglés
      +54 3543 422933