Re: [sptranslators] Translating the News?

  • TexasT
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      On 11/30/06, tod_winston <todwinston@...> wrote:

      > I am not at all clear, however, how much real-world translators
      > actually work translating newspaper or magazine articles from
      > Spanish to English.
      .
      It's all done by unreal-world translators, since real-world
      translators only work in the other direction.

      (Tongue firmly in cheek)

      Seriously, though. What are you really asking? Percentage of time or
      words done by individual translators in the Spa>Eng pair compared to
      time/words in the other direction? Keep in mind that this might
      provide skewed results, since often translators work in only one
      direction, i.e., Spa>Eng or Eng>Spa, going from the foreign language
      into the native language. Of course, some do work in both directions.

      Perhaps it would be good to know the context of your query -- context
      is king in all translation-related matters, as you well know. In other
      words, what are you trying to find out, exactly, and what is the
      purpose of it?

      You might also want to consider which population you really want to
      query: translators, or publications who use translators? Or perhaps
      agencies who contract translators?

      If you're trying to determine the ratio of Eng>Spa vs Spa>Eng
      translation of newspaper and magazine articles, agencies might be your
      best bet for this information.

      --
      Terry
    • Timothy Barton_lists
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        I think his question is whether translation of newspapers articles
        from Sp>En is done by translators or by journalists who understand
        Spanish.

        Tim

        2006/12/1, TexasT <terry.texast@...>:
        > On 11/30/06, tod_winston <todwinston@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am not at all clear, however, how much real-world translators
        > > actually work translating newspaper or magazine articles from
        > > Spanish to English.
        > .
        > It's all done by unreal-world translators, since real-world
        > translators only work in the other direction.
        >
        > (Tongue firmly in cheek)
        >
        > Seriously, though. What are you really asking? Percentage of time or
        > words done by individual translators in the Spa>Eng pair compared to
        > time/words in the other direction? Keep in mind that this might
        > provide skewed results, since often translators work in only one
        > direction, i.e., Spa>Eng or Eng>Spa, going from the foreign language
        > into the native language. Of course, some do work in both directions.
        >
        > Perhaps it would be good to know the context of your query -- context
        > is king in all translation-related matters, as you well know. In other
        > words, what are you trying to find out, exactly, and what is the
        > purpose of it?
        >
        > You might also want to consider which population you really want to
        > query: translators, or publications who use translators? Or perhaps
        > agencies who contract translators?
        >
        > If you're trying to determine the ratio of Eng>Spa vs Spa>Eng
        > translation of newspaper and magazine articles, agencies might be your
        > best bet for this information.
        >
        > --
        > Terry

        Do not send individual e-mails to this address. Find my contact
        details from www.timtranslates.com
      • tod_winston
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
          Thanks for your responses. Hmm... And here I thought I was being
          so clear! :O) Back to the drawing board.

          Let's see. What I really want to know, as a beginning translator
          trying to figure out in what area to specialize, is this: How often,
          and for what clients, do Spanish to English translators translate
          news articles -- and what kind of news articles do they tend to be
          asked to translate?

          I don't know much about the journalism business (or the translation
          business, for that matter!) and so I am unsure of how often Spanish
          to English news translation is really done (as opposed to bilingual
          correspondents in Spanish-speaking countries writing their own
          original English-language stories). Do some newspapers employ Span-
          Eng translators (in-house or free-lance) for this purpose? Or
          perhaps do they employ translators to translate Spanish "source
          material," from which English journalists can write original
          articles?

          The suggested idea of contacting agencies is a good one, and I have
          already been in contact with some news organizations. I was hoping
          though that there might be some Spanish-English translators on here
          who work a lot with translating the news, and could shed some light
          on how much and what kind of work is really available.

          Thanks again,

          TW

          --- In sptranslators@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Barton_lists"