Translation as a means of international communication

  • lingva_prismo
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hi all!

      Lingva Prismo (http://www.lingvo.info/?lingvo=en) is a multilingual
      website for and about languages. Each month we discuss different
      current linguistic issues in our forum "Topic of the Month"
      (http://www.lingvo.info/forumo/?lingvo=en) and we were wondering if
      anyone would be interested in contributing to our debate.

      Our "Topic of the Month" for November:

      International organisations rely on the services of
      translators/interpreters to provide full communication to all
      parties. The EU aims to provide documentation of all proceedings, in
      the 20 official EU languages which means a total of 190 language
      combinations are possible. However, the European Commission has an
      80% deficit in the number of translators from particular new member
      states.

      Lingva Prismo discusses the topic of translators and interpreters, as
      one means of international communication.

      Therefore our November topic is:
      Could the use of translators/interpreters be a realistic SOLE
      solution for international communication?

      We hope to hear from you in our forum!

      Julia Wright
      Projektassistentin