EN>ES "ss" (abreviatura, legal)

  • Patrick Moore
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
      On a notice of judgement form (for a divorce) from Puerto Rico:
      Below the top line which just says (in Spanish) In the superior court...
      etc.
      There are two lines which say:
      ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMERICA
      EL PRESIDENTE DE LOS E.U.
      (caps are in original; obviously I do know what those two lines mean)
      These two lines have to the right of them a bracket which points to the
      letters "ss:" in italics. What does "ss" mean? This may be a dumb question,
      and if it is the online database, forgive me. This is the first time I'm
      actually translating such a document, and I realize it is a frequently
      translated type of document.

      Thanks in advance,
      Patrick Moore
    • Bill Lokey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
        -Per Diccionario Legal Dahl: " The letters SS in a judicial document merely mean scilicet, that is "to wit", (same as "per se" or "as follows").....saludos, Bill

        Patrick Moore <pkmoore@...> wrote:On a notice of judgement form (for a divorce) from Puerto Rico:
        Below the top line which just says (in Spanish) In the superior court...
        etc.
        There are two lines which say:
        ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMERICA
        EL PRESIDENTE DE LOS E.U.
        (caps are in original; obviously I do know what those two lines mean)
        These two lines have to the right of them a bracket which points to the
        letters "ss:" in italics. What does "ss" mean? This may be a dumb question,
        and if it is the online database, forgive me. This is the first time I'm
        actually translating such a document, and I realize it is a frequently
        translated type of document.

        Thanks in advance,
        Patrick Moore

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Carol Shaw
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
          Hi Patrick,

          From http://arcourts.ualr.edu/glossary.htm:

          SS: From "scire licet," Latin for as one may know. Synonymous with "to
          wit." Appears at the heading of court documents.

          Hope that helps,
          Carol Shaw

          Patrick Moore wrote:

          >On a notice of judgement form (for a divorce) from Puerto Rico:
          >Below the top line which just says (in Spanish) In the superior court...
          >etc.
          >There are two lines which say:
          >ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMERICA
          > EL PRESIDENTE DE LOS E.U.
          >(caps are in original; obviously I do know what those two lines mean)
          >These two lines have to the right of them a bracket which points to the
          >letters "ss:" in italics. What does "ss" mean? This may be a dumb question,
          >and if it is the online database, forgive me. This is the first time I'm
          >actually translating such a document, and I realize it is a frequently
          >translated type of document.
          >
          >Thanks in advance,
          >Patrick Moore

        • david
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
            Bill Lokey wrote:

            > -Per Diccionario Legal Dahl: " The letters SS in a judicial document
            > merely mean scilicet, that is "to wit", (same as "per se" or "as
            > follows").....saludos, Bill
            >
            > Patrick Moore <pkmoore@...> wrote:On a notice of judgement
            > form (for a divorce) from Puerto Rico:
            > Below the top line which just says (in Spanish) In the superior court...
            > etc.
            > There are two lines which say:
            > ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMERICA
            > EL PRESIDENTE DE LOS E.U.
            > (caps are in original; obviously I do know what those two lines mean)
            > These two lines have to the right of them a bracket which points to the
            > letters "ss:" in italics. What does "ss" mean? This may be a dumb
            > question,
            > and if it is the online database, forgive me. This is the first time I'm
            > actually translating such a document, and I realize it is a frequently
            > translated type of document.
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Patrick Moore

            > REGLAS/PREGUNTAS FRECUENTES:
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > REGLAS/PREGUNTAS FRECUENTES:
            >

            > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
            > click here
            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ve6eie/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1706665092:HM/EXP=1089150540/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

          • Patrick Moore
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
              I wrote my heading wrong, by mistake. The source is Spanish, not English. If
              I'm not mistaken it may be an appreviation used in both languages, no?

              _____

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ve6eie/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1706665092:HM/EXP=1089150540/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp