File - FAQSpTranslators.txt

  • sptranslators@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 1, 2003
      This is the latest version of the FAQs. If you have any questions or comments concerning the FAQs, feel free to post them directly to the list so that we can all benefit from the discussion.

      Saludos,
      Mary (la moderadora)

      + + + + +
      (1.) What are FAQs?

      FAQs = Frequently Asked Questions. In other words, questions asked of the moderator (or among yourselves) more than once about list etiquette, what the group is about, and how it operates.

      (2.) Who may join this list?

      All Spanish < > English in-house and freelance translators working with any and all clients, genres, and terminologies may join. That includes literary translators, technical translators, medical translators, legal and financial translators, etc.

      People who simply have an interest in Spanish < > English translation as a profession are also welcome to join, so that they can "lurk" and submit questions having to do with translation as a profession. We are more than happy to help you! But please be sure to submit only postings which are appropriate and relevant to the list (see #17).

      (3.) Who is the group moderator?

      The moderator is Mary C. Maloof, who lives in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. She is a university-certified and locally accredited translator of Spanish into English. She is also the owner of Maloof Language Services, Inc., which provides a wide variety of language-related services, and the director of The American Web for International Languages (AWIL), a worldwide referrals network for interpreters and translators of all languages.

      (4.) Why does this discussion group need a moderator?

      A moderator is needed to (a) delete messages that were sent in error, (b) delete truly offensive or inappropriate messages after they have been submitted to the list, (c) change settings for list members if they have trouble, (d) answer any questions that may be floating around re:
      the group, and (e) spark discussion by way of introducing a posting on a specific topic.

      (5.) Is the moderator guided by what the members want?

      Absolutely!!

      (6.) Does the moderator censor or filter messages?

      All messages that are posted by non-members must be approved by the moderator before they go to the group.

      All messages that are posted by members go automatically and directly to the group a few seconds later, so it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that members use discretion when posting messages, making sure that they are relevant and appropriate (see #17).

      The only time the moderator will reject a non-member's message, or delete a posted message from the group after it has been posted by a member, is when she discovers that a message's content is completely and truly inappropriate, offensive, or irrelevant to the group. This will happen only very rarely.

      (7.) �Puedo enviar un mensaje al grupo en espa�ol? Can I post a message to the group in Spanish?

      �Por supuesto! Of course! All members should feel free to submit messages in their mother tongue. If the moderator responds in Spanish to your Spanish posting, apologies in advance for any errors her reply contains. (It isn't her native language and she does slip up occasionally!)

      (8.) How do I know I am successfully subscribed to SpTranslators?

      group, then you are a member.

      (9.) I am subscribed to this list, but I am not getting my messages. Why is this happening?

      If you receive some messages and not others, you are "bouncing." This means that the server for your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is temporarily out of service. Call your ISP for more information.

      If you are not receiving any messages at all, you are "permanently bouncing." That is, the configuration of the Yahoo Groups server which is trying to send messages to your mailbox and the configuration of your ISP's server do not "like" each other.

      If you are temporarily or permanently bouncing, you can ask the moderator to try to reset your bouncing status, which sometimes solves the problem. If this still does not work, you may want to consider switching to an Internet-based email account such as Hotmail or Eudora so that your email server does not "fight" with the Yahoo Groups server. Once you switch to your new account, you can unsubscribe your old email address and subscribe your new Internet-based email address.

      (10.) Help, I'm being overwhelmed by emails! How can I get a digested version of the list?

      Here is how to get a digested version of the list:

      blue link toward the top right hand corner of the page. You will then
      see a list of all the groups you are subscribed to, including SpTranslators. You will also see an "Edit Delivery Options" link above your list of groups.

      2) Click on the "Edit Delivery Options" link, and you will again see
      a list of the groups you are subscribed to, *plus* a drop-down menu of
      subscription modes beside each group. The various subscription modes
      are: Individual Emails, Daily Digest (where email messages are
      compiled into a single daily digest), No Mail/Web Only (where you get
      no emails and can simply read the messages on the Web ... also known
      as vacation mode), and Unsubscribe.

      3) Go to SpTranslators and select the Daily Digest mode from the drop-down menu beside it.

      4) Click on the "Save Changes" button at the bottom or top of the
      screen, and you're done. You should then get your messages in digested format, which will make it much easier for you to manage message delivery.

      If you wish, you can also change your subscription setting to vacation option (temporary suspension of emails), or reading the list directly on the Web. If your new settings do not work, please contact the moderator so that she can manually change your settings for you.

      (11.) How do I change my other subscription settings?

      Follow the procedure detailed in #10. If your new settings do not work, please contact the moderator so that she can manually change your settings for you.

      (12.) Can anyone post a message to this group?

      No. Only members can post a message to this group. All non-members who wish to post something to the group must first clear it with the moderator. This is to prevent our group from being "spammed" with inappropriate and irrelevant messages. However, all messages which have already been posted can be viewed by the general public.

      If you are a member, there are two ways to post a message to the group: you can do it directly at our SpTranslators web site, or via e-mail to <mailto:sptranslators@yahoogroups.com>.

      If you wish to post a private message directly to the moderator, you may do so by clicking on her email address at the web site or send her an email directly at mmaloofNOSPAM@.... (Take out the "NOSPAM" before sending the email.)

      (13.) I am a member, but I am not allowed to post directly to the group for some reason; the server has sent me a message saying that my message has to be cleared by the moderator for approval. Why is this happening?

      You are probably trying to post a message to the list from an email address that is different from the one with which you originally subscribed to the list. The Yahoo Groups server does not recognize your new email address as being on the subscription list, and therefore does not automatically accept your messages to be posted directly to the list -- it sends them to the moderator for approval. To solve this problem, you should make sure to send your message from the EXACT SAME email address that you originally subscribed with.

      (14.) If I no longer want to subscribe to the group, how can I unsubscribe from it?

      Simply go to http://groups.yahoo.com and click on the "My Groups" link. This will produce a list of the mailing lists you are subscribed to. Click on SpTranslators and follow the directions to unsubscribe. Alternatively, you can send a blank email to <mailto:sptranslators-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>. If you have trouble, contact the moderator and she will go into your settings and unsubscribe you.

      (15.) I have tried many times to unsubscribe, but I keep getting messages. Why is this happening?

      You have probably subscribed to the list with an email address that is different from the one which you are trying to send your unsubscribe command from. The Yahoo Groups server does not recognize your new email address as being on the subscription list, and therefore does not
      unsubscribe you (it can't unsubscribe you when you're not on the subscription list anyway). Example: You have subscribed to the mailing list from the email account that you got when you signed up with Mindspring (a popular Internet Service Provider, or ISP). Later on, you sign up for a Hotmail account, an Internet-based email address that is not tied to your Mindspring account. Then, you decide to unsubscribe from the mailing list. You send your unsubscribe request from the Hotmail account. The unsubscribe request comes in to the Yahoo Groups server from the Hotmail account, not your Mindspring account, and the Yahoo Groups server does not recognize your Hotmail address as the Mindspring address where you are actually receiving the mailing list.

      To solve this problem, you should make sure to send your unsubscribe request from the EXACT SAME email address that you originally subscribed with. If you still have problems, ask the moderator to manually unsubscribe you.

      (16.) I have switched Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and wish to get my messages at the new address. How do I do this?

      Unsubscribe your old address (see #14 and #15) and then subscribe your new address. If this does not work, contact the moderator.

      (17.) Which topics may I post about? Which types of messages are considered appropriate and relevant to the group?

      As long as your message concerns an issue that is DIRECTLY relevant to Spanish < > English translation as a profession, then anything goes. You are free to discuss how to handle a client problem, ask a question about terminology or a difficult word or phrase, trade leads on useful
      dictionaries and Internet resources, talk about operating systems and software, discuss rates, home office layout, taxes, education and accreditation, etc.

      The types of messages which are discouraged or prohibited outright are the following:

      (a) One-line "Thank you" and "Me too" emails are discouraged, except in special cases where one or more members have helped someone out and have truly gone above and beyond the call of duty. The "thank yous" and "me toos" make the recipient of the sentiment feel very nice, but they don't add anything substantive to the discussion. It's understood that when somebody sends a useful resource to the list or says something that really resonates with us, we are all appreciative and grateful for that member's input. However, if you really feel that a "thank you" or "me too" is in order, in most cases it's appropriate to send an email offlist, directly to the person involved.

      (b) Messages of a purely personal/social nature -- non-substantive comments, snappy repartee and jokes, personal photos, anecdotes and trivia, personal websites, private job leads, etc. -- are discouraged. This list is intended to be a professional group and not a social group for Spanish translators. Messages of a personal/social nature should be exchanged among members privately and directly offlist, and not posted to the group.

      (c) Virus warnings are prohibited unless they are real. DO NOT post virus warnings until you have verified their authenticity at the Symantec Anti-Virus Research Center at http://www.symantec.com They maintain lists of bogus viruses and real ones and update them every day.

      (d) Job leads and job solicitations are strictly prohibited. There are several other discussion groups dedicated to that purpose; please go to those if you wish to post something of that nature. All job leads and job solicitations will be deleted by the moderator. If you wish to post a r�sum� DIRECTLY to the moderator, do so privately at mmaloofNOSPAM@... (take out the "NOSPAM" before sending the email) but please don't post it to the group because it will be deleted by the moderator.

      (d) "Flaming," or posting messages that insult another list member or directly attack another person's character, is also strictly prohibited. Such messages will be deleted by the moderator immediately!

      ***Please note: These rules are followed simply for the sake of organization and for keeping the list manageable, relevant, and appropriate; they are also followed out of consideration for the many subscribers who have very busy schedules, as well as the non-U.S. subscribers who pay a sliding fee instead of a flat fee for Internet access, and don't have time to wade through non-substantive and irrelevant messages. Please always bear this in mind whenever sending ANY message to the list. These rules are *not* designed to put a damper on the discussion or punish or censor list members, and everyone should feel free to express themselves freely within the parameters of organization that these rules provide.

      Of course, there is a "gray" area between what is relevant/appropriate and what is not; and since all member postings go straight to the group without going through the moderator, it is VITAL that members police themselves and use the utmost discretion when posting messages that
      could be in the "gray" area. In most cases, when a "gray" message is posted the moderator will usually just let it go, because overmoderation could curtail free discussion and, after all, the sender means well and is just trying to help the other list members. If you have any questions about what is and is not relevant and appropriate, please contact the moderator.

      (18.) Is this mailing list free?

      Yes.

      (19.) What do I do if I make a mistake, have sent a message to the group and want to change my message or remove it from the system?

      Send in your corrected e-mail, and ask the moderator privately at mmaloofNOSPAM@... (take out the "NOSPAM" before sending your email) to delete the offending e-mail. Alternatively, you can simply post the corrected email to the group and say that the previous one should be disregarded.

      (20.) Some characters appear in my subject line (such as *=&#$'?-345768-?-) which I did not put there. What happened?

      If you have written a word with a diacritical mark or accent in the subject line, e.g. �, �, �, �, �, �, etc., some servers pick up the MIME coding. To prevent this from happening, simply type your subject in the subject line with NO accents, e.g. traduccion, espanol, etc. For the rest of your e-mail, you should be able to type as usual, with accents and diacritics.

      (21.) Why can't some of the members read the messages that I post to the list?

      This happens because you are sending your messages to the group with HTML coding. HTML coding cannot be picked up by some UNIX servers, and those subscribers using UNIX servers will not be able to read them unless they save your messages in TXT format and reopen them in their browsers, which is a real hassle. To make it easier on your fellow subscribers, please send all your messages in plain text.

      22.) What is the best way to post my reply to the list if I wish to reply directly to a previous posting?

      The best way to this is cut and paste ONLY the sentence(s) or phrase(s) that you're responding to, deleting the rest. If your email is set to where the entire original email is automatically stuck in your reply, you will need to delete the email manually before you send your message.

      This 1) saves a lot of bandwidth, 2) keeps the other listeros from having to wade through tons of old information to find your comments, and as a result saves time for those listeros who have to pay a sliding fee and not a flat fee for Internet access.
    • sptranslators@yahoogroups.com
      Message 44 of 44 , Nov 1, 2006
        SPANISH < > ENGLISH TRANSLATORS
        (SPTRANSLATORS)
        FAQs

        This is the latest version of the FAQs. If you have any questions or comments concerning the FAQs, feel free to post them directly to the list so that we can all benefit from the discussion.

        Here is a shortlist of useful email commands so that you can manage your list membership right from your email mailbox without having to go to the website.

        TO RECEIVE INDIVIDUAL MESSAGES: Send a blank email addressed to sptranslators-normal@yahoogroups.com.
        TO RECEIVE THE DIGEST: Send a blank email addressed to sptranslators-digest@yahoogroups.com
        TO SEND A MESSAGE TO THE MODERATOR: sptranslators-owner@yahoogroups.com or sptranslators-moderator@yahoogroups.com

        �Gracias y disfruta! :)

        Mary Maloof and Terry (a.k.a. TexasT)

        La Fundadora/Moderadora y la Co-Moderadora

        (1.) What are FAQs?

        FAQs = Frequently Asked Questions. In other words, questions asked of the moderators (or among yourselves) more than once about list etiquette, what the group is about, and how it operates.

        (2.) Who may join this list?

        All part-time, full-time, in-house and freelance translators working from Spanish to English, as well as from English to Spanish, are warmly welcomed.

        People who simply have an interest in Spanish translation as a profession are also welcome to join, so that they can "lurk" and submit questions having to do with Spanish translation as a profession. But please be sure to submit only postings which are appropriate and relevant to the list, and don't abuse the goodwill of fellow list members by sending basic queries that can be answered by using a simple Internet search. (See #17).

        (3.) Who are the group moderators?

        The founder/moderator is Mary C. Maloof, who lives in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. She is certified by Georgetown University in Spanish > English translation. Although her specialty is Spanish > English legal and business translations, she does translations in many other fields as well, including social sciences, arts and humanities, tourism, and food and wines. Interestingly, before embarking on her translation career, she was an editor at a publishing firm in Washington, D.C.. This professional experience now serves her well in editing, proofreading, and revising the work of other translators.

        The co-moderator is Terry (a.k.a. TexasT), who is located in Dallas, Texas, USA. She has decades of experience in Spanish/English translation. She�s a native Texan who grew up in Colombia, Peru, and Argentina, spent extended vacations in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Guatemala, and has friends from all those countries as well as from Cuba, Ecuador, Panama, Puerto Rico, Spain, and Venezuela � if her Spanish sounds weird, now you know why. ;-) She doesn�t talk much about her translation projects or clients, but she�ll spout off on just about anything else if given half a chance.

        If you wish to speak with us but don't have a particular preference regarding whom your email will be sent to, email us at the website (you will see links to contact us via e-mail). If you want to contact Mary specifically, please send an e-mail directly to mmaloofNOSPAM@... (take out the �NOSPAM� before replying). If you would like to contact Terry specifically, please send an email directly to terry.texast@... .

        (4.) Why does this discussion group need moderators?

        This group is set to post messages automatically (meaning that none of the messages go through the moderators first for approval), so moderators are needed to (a) delete messages that were sent in error, (b) delete truly offensive or inappropriate messages after they have been submitted to the list, (c) change settings for list members if they have trouble, (d) answer any questions that may be floating around about group policies, and (e) spark discussion by way of introducing a posting on a specific topic.

        (5.) Are the moderators guided by what the members want?

        Absolutely!

        (6.) Do the moderators censor or filter messages?

        Not unless they absolutely have to!

        All messages that are posted by non-members must be approved by the moderators before they go to the group.

        All messages that are posted by members go automatically and directly to the group a few seconds later, so it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that members use discretion when posting messages, making sure that they are relevant and appropriate (see #17).

        The only time the moderators will reject a non-member's message, or delete a posted message from the group after it has been posted by a member, is when they discover that the content of a message is completely and truly inappropriate, offensive, or irrelevant to the group. This will happen only very rarely.

        (7.) What is the main language of this list? Is it OK to send a message in my native language?

        Although the "official" language of the group is listed as English, that is just for categorization purposes. You are free to send a message in your native language, whether it is Spanish or English.

        However, many of us like to write in our source language to keep our skills sharp and simply because we just enjoy doing it (the moderators write messages in Spanish from time to time), so feel free to send one another corrections privately if we make mistakes!

        (8.) How do I know I am successfully subscribed to SpTranslators?

        When you go to http://groups.Yahoo.com and click on the "My�Groups" link, you will see a list of the groups to which you subscribe. If you have successfully subscribed to SpTranslators, it should be on the list. A more simple way of finding out is that if you are receiving e-mails from the group, then you are a member.

        (9.) I am subscribed to this list, but I am not getting my messages. Why is this happening?

        If you receive some messages and not others, you are "bouncing." This means that the server for your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is temporarily out of service. Call your ISP for more information.

        If you are not receiving any messages at all, you are "permanently bouncing." That is, the configuration of the Yahoo! Groups server which is trying to send messages to your mailbox and the configuration of your ISP's server do not "like" each other.

        If you are temporarily or permanently bouncing, you can ask the moderators to try to reset your bouncing status, which sometimes solves the problem. If this still does not work, you may want to consider switching to an Internet-based e-mail account such as Yahoo!, Hotmail or the like so that your e-mail server does not "fight" with the Yahoo! Groups server. Once you switch to your new account, you should unsubscribe your old e-mail address (from your old e-mail account) and subscribe your new Internet-based e-mail address (from your new e-mail account).

        (10.) Help, I'm being overwhelmed by e-mails! Is there a digested or condensed version of the list?

        Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpTranslators and click on the blue "Edit My Membership" link toward the upper left hand corner of the screen. After you verify your Yahoo! password, you will be taken to a page that has the settings for your subscription. Go to the "Message Delivery" category. Click on the radio button that says:
        "Daily digest. Receive a daily compilation of many emails in one message." Then click on the Save Changes button at the bottom of the screen. You should then get your messages in digested format, which will make it much easier for you to manage message delivery.

        If you wish, you can also change your subscription setting to the �no email� option ("No email. I'll read messages on the Web site"). This allows you to read the messages directly on the Web without receiving any in your mailbox � pretty handy for when you are going on vacation. Just remember to change your settings back again when you return from your vacation.

        Alternatively, you can change your subscription settings by sending email commands directly from your email mailbox without having to do so through the Yahoo web site. See the shortlist of email commands at the top of this page.

        Please allow 24 hours for changes to take effect, due to the huge volume of traffic on Yahoo! Groups. If your new settings still do not work after 24 hours have passed, please contact the moderators so that they can manually change your settings for you.

        (11.) How do I change my other subscription settings?

        Follow the procedure detailed in #10. If your new settings still do not work after 24 hours have passed, please contact the moderators so that they can manually change your settings for you.

        (12.) Can anyone post a message to this group?

        No. Only members can post a message to this group. All non-members who wish to post something to the group must first clear it with the moderators. This is to prevent our group from being "spammed" with inappropriate and irrelevant messages. However, all messages which have already been posted can be viewed by the general public.

        If you are a member, there are two ways to post a message to the group: you can do it directly at our SpTranslators web site, or via e-mail to: SpTranslators@yahoogroups.com.

        If you wish to post a private message directly to the moderators and have no preference regarding to whom it will be sent, just click on the link at the web site. If you wish to talk to Mary specifically, you may send her an email at mmaloofNOSPAM@... (take out the "NOSPAM" before sending the e-mail). If you wish to talk to Terry directly, you may contact her at terry.texast@... .

        (13.) I am a member, but I am not allowed to post directly to the group for some reason; the server has sent me a message saying that my message has to be cleared by the moderators for approval. Why is this happening?

        You are probably trying to post a message to the list from an e-mail address that is different from the one with which you originally subscribed to the list. The Yahoo! Groups server does not recognize your new e-mail address as being on the subscription list, and therefore does not automatically accept your messages to be posted directly to the list - it sends them to the moderators for approval.

        To solve this problem, you should make sure to send your message from the EXACT SAME e-mail address that you originally subscribed with. Or you can just sign in at the website and post your messages directly at the website (click on the �Sign In� link at the top right hand corner of the screen when you go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpTranslators).

        If you no longer have access to your old e-mail account, you need to have the moderators unsubscribe your old account and subscribe your new account.

        (14.) If I no longer want to subscribe to the group, how can I unsubscribe from it?

        We�re sorry to see you go, but if you truly must, simply go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpTranslators and click on the "Leave Group" link toward the upper right hand corner of the screen. Alternatively, you can send a blank e-mail to SpTranslators-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com. You will be sent a confirmation e-mail from the Yahoo! Groups server. If you have trouble, contact the moderators and they will go into your settings and unsubscribe you.

        (15.) I have tried many times to unsubscribe, but I keep getting messages. Why is this happening?

        You have probably subscribed to the list with an e-mail address that is different from the one which you are trying to send your unsubscribe command from. The Yahoo! Groups server does not recognize your new e-mail address as being on the subscription list, and therefore does not unsubscribe you (it can't unsubscribe you when you're not on the subscription list anyway).

        Example: You have subscribed to the mailing list from the e-mail account that you got when you signed up with Mindspring (a popular Internet Service Provider, or ISP). Later on, you sign up for a Hotmail account, an Internet-based e-mail address that is not tied to your Mindspring account. Later, you decide to unsubscribe from the SpTranslators mailing list. You send your unsubscribe request from the Hotmail account. The unsubscribe request comes in to the Yahoo! Groups server from the Hotmail account, not your Mindspring account, so the Yahoo! Groups server does not recognize your Hotmail address as the Mindspring address where you are actually receiving the mailing list.

        To solve this problem, you should make sure to send your unsubscribe request from the EXACT SAME e-mail address that you originally subscribed with. If you still have problems, or if you no longer have access to your old e-mail account, ask the moderators to manually unsubscribe your old address.

        (16.) I have switched Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and wish to get my messages at the new address. How do I do this?

        Unsubscribe your old address from your old e-mail account (see #14 and #15) and then subscribe your new address from your new e-mail account. If this does not work, contact the moderators.

        (17.) Which topics may I post about? Which types of messages are considered appropriate and relevant to the group?

        As long as your message concerns an issue that is DIRECTLY RELEVANT to Spanish translation, then anything goes. You are free to discuss terminology or a difficult word or phrase, trade leads on useful dictionaries and Internet resources, talk about software and operating systems, discuss rates, education and accreditation procedures, ethics and client problems, etc..

        The types of messages which are discouraged or prohibited outright are the following:

        (a) One-line "thank you" and "me too" e-mails are discouraged, except in special cases where one or more members have helped someone out and have truly gone above and beyond the call of duty. The "thank yous" and "me toos" make the recipient of the sentiment feel very nice, but they don't add anything substantive to the discussion. It's understood that when somebody sends a useful resource to the list or says something that really resonates with us, we are all appreciative and grateful for that member's input. If you really feel that a "thank you" or "me too" is in order, in most cases it's appropriate to send an e-mail offlist, directly to the person involved.

        (b) Messages of a purely "chatty" or personal/social nature -- jokes, personal photos, personal websites, lengthy personal anecdotes that don't have anything to do with your professional development, etc. � are discouraged after they exceed two or three messages. This list is intended and designed to be a professional group and not a social group or "cyber-bar" for Spanish translators.

        Some chat and socializing is good, even vitally necessary � it adds a bit of warmth to the group, which is greatly appreciated by all of us. The remarkable, unique camaraderie we enjoy in this group is a tremendous advantage and benefit which should be encouraged and nurtured, not curtailed. But in the real world, chat takes place around a water cooler in consideration of coworkers who are extremely busy or working on a tight deadline, and the same principle is enacted here, especially since we have many members who pay by the minute for their Internet access. Our cyber-"water cooler" is http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/sptranslators_chat. When chatty threads exceed two or three messages, we take them over to SpTranslators_chat out of consideration for our fellow list members.

        (c) Virus warnings are prohibited unless they are real. DO NOT post virus warnings until you have verified their authenticity at the Symantec Anti-Virus Research Center at http://www.symantec.com They maintain lists of bogus viruses and real ones and update them every day.

        (d) Job leads are strictly prohibited. There are several other discussion groups which are exclusively dedicated to job leads (tj_opps, jobs-translators, etc.), so the sender is strongly encouraged to go to those mailing lists to post the assignment there. If you are with a translation company and need to post a call for CVs, please go to the job leads lists instead. Many of our list members already subscribe to those lists anyway.

        (e) All job solicitations, r�sum�s, CVs, etc. are strictly prohibited.

        (f) All messages of a commercial nature � even if they are ads for translation-related products and services � are strictly prohibited.

        (g) "Flaming," or posting messages that insult another list member or directly attack another person's character, is also strictly prohibited. The first "flaming" offense will receive a warning, which will be either private or public in nature depending on the situation and subject to moderator discretion. A second "flaming" offense will cause the sender to be permanently banned from the list. It is worth noting that in the seven years this group has been running, only 3 or 4 members have been banned for "flaming" out of 1000-plus members overall. As mentioned previously, we have a remarkable, wonderful camaraderie in this group and we are proud of it!

        Please note: These rules are not designed to put a damper on the discussion or punish or censor list members, but are followed simply for the sake of organization and for keeping the list manageable, relevant, and appropriate. They are also followed out of consideration for the many subscribers who have very busy schedules, as well as those who pay a sliding fee instead of a flat fee for Internet access and don't have the time or money to wade through irrelevant messages. Everyone should feel free to express themselves freely within the structure that these rules provide.

        Of course, there is a "gray" area between what is relevant/appropriate and what is not; and since all member postings go straight to the group without going through the moderators, it is VITAL that members police themselves and use the utmost discretion when posting messages that could be in the "gray" area. 99 percent of the time, when a "gray" message is posted the moderators will usually just let it go, because overmoderation can curtail free discussion and, after all, the sender means well and is just trying to help the other list members. If you have any questions about what is and is not relevant and appropriate, please contact the moderators.

        (18.) What is the best way to post my reply to the list if I wish to reply directly to a previous posting?

        The best way to this is cut and paste ONLY the sentence(s) or phrase(s) that you're responding to, deleting the rest � including footers, headers, and such. If your e-mail program is set to automatically stick the entire original e-mail in your reply, you will need to delete the old text manually before you send your message, or at least delete everything but the most relevant sentence(s) or phrase(s).

        This 1) saves fellow members a lot of bandwidth when receiving messages and 2) keeps them from having to wade through tons of old information to find your comments, both of which can be very costly when you have to pay a sliding fee and not a flat fee for Internet access.

        (19.) Is this mailing list free?

        Yes. And it always will be. Of course, there is a tradeoff � Yahoo! doesn't have the best technical support in the world � but we're willing to put up with that inconvenience in exchange for a free list.

        (20.) What do I do if I make a mistake, have sent a message to the group and want to change my message or remove it from the system?

        Simply post the corrected e-mail to the group and ask the group to disregard the previous one. But if you're absolutely mortified by what you sent, send your corrected e-mail, and ask Mary at mmaloofNOSPAM@... (take out the "NOSPAM" before sending your e-mail) or Terry at terry.texast@... to delete the offending e-mail from the archives for you.

        (21.) Some characters appear in my subject line (such as *=&#$'?-345768-?-) which I did not put there. What happened?

        If you have written a word with a diacritical mark or accent in the subject line, e.g. �, �, �, �, �, �, etc., some servers pick up the MIME coding. To prevent this from happening, simply type your subject in the subject line with NO accents, e.g. traduccion, espanol, etc. For the rest of your e-mail, you should be able to type as usual, with accents and diacritics.

        (22.) Why can't some of the members read the messages that I post to the list?