Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

42352Re: sin fin

Expand Messages
  • steven.marzuola
    Jul 31, 2014
    • 0 Attachment
      Troy, I don't work on cars except to change oil. 

      Are you speaking of the recirculating ball mechanism, described here?



      If not, could you find and identify the part you're talking about using one of these diagrams for reference?




      Steven Marzuola

      ---In sptranslators@yahoogroups.com, <northdude7@...> wrote :

      Hello, fellow translators---I am in one of those situations we all get into from time to time in which I know how to say something in Spanish, yet have no clue how to say it in English--yet it should be a common item.  When we work on cars, one aspect of the power steering is the "sin fin" (I assume that's short or "tornillo sin fin").  Okay--I know what it is--but what would I call it in English?  Right now, if I were having a conversation about it in English, I would code switch to Spanish and call it a "sin fin", then jump right back to English---but I hate having to do that, and I'm thinking that there's got to be a common, ordinary English expression for this.

      The dictionary calls it a 'worm gear", but I've spoken English all my life, and I've never heard of the power steering in a car incorporating a "worm gear" before---not that I'm all that experienced with auto mechanics, though--that might just be the expression I need.

      This is bugging me---can anybody help?


    • Show all 6 messages in this topic