42352Re: sin fin

  • steven.marzuola
    Jul 31, 2014
      Troy, I don't work on cars except to change oil.

      Are you speaking of the recirculating ball mechanism, described here?

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recirculating_ball

      If not, could you find and identify the part you're talking about using one of these diagrams for reference?

      http://www.g-w.com/pdf/sampchap/9781605252230_ch09.pdf

      http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering4.htm

      Steven Marzuola

      ---In sptranslators@yahoogroups.com, <northdude7@...> wrote :

      Hello, fellow translators---I am in one of those situations we all get into from time to time in which I know how to say something in Spanish, yet have no clue how to say it in English--yet it should be a common item.  When we work on cars, one aspect of the power steering is the "sin fin" (I assume that's short or "tornillo sin fin").  Okay--I know what it is--but what would I call it in English?  Right now, if I were having a conversation about it in English, I would code switch to Spanish and call it a "sin fin", then jump right back to English---but I hate having to do that, and I'm thinking that there's got to be a common, ordinary English expression for this.

      The dictionary calls it a 'worm gear", but I've spoken English all my life, and I've never heard of the power steering in a car incorporating a "worm gear" before---not that I'm all that experienced with auto mechanics, though--that might just be the expression I need.

      This is bugging me---can anybody help?

      Troy

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic